Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks,

I did my first night flight last night, and I've noticed the tap to focus really struggled to cope with picking out streetlights and lit areas of the street and park that I was flying by.  The majority of the time, the focus was not good enough to be of any use at all.

Has anyone had any luck getting a decent focus at night?  Any tips and tricks?

I've not looked into the app in enough detail to figure out if there are any settings that might help (like a manual focus mode).

Cheers
Andy
2016-11-1
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft

Did you try adjusting the ISO at all?
2016-11-1
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In low light it will struggle to automatically do it.. You do have a manual focus option you can use in these situations though..
2016-11-1
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Chaser720 Posted at 2016-11-1 10:34
Did you try adjusting the ISO at all?

Yeah, I tried some higher iso settings, but it didn't seem to affect the focussing.
2016-11-1
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sploodge Posted at 2016-11-1 10:46
In low light it will struggle to automatically do it.. You do have a manual focus option you can use ...

I did wonder if this was available, but I haven't found it in the menus/settings yet.  I'm planning on a lunchtime break from work and having a tinker with the app today though...
2016-11-1
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Right, lunchtime passed.  Did a 24 minute flight, and spent the majority of the flight tinkering with settings, and looking in menus.  I can't find anywhere in the DJI Go App (on Android) that allows the manual focussing of the lens on the Mavic.  Yes I can tap at various points on the screen, but in low light, the autofocus doesn't get the focus right often at all.

Cheers
Andy
2016-11-1
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Andy Sayle Posted at 2016-11-1 14:42
Right, lunchtime passed.  Did a 24 minute flight, and spent the majority of the flight tinkering wit ...

If i recall The manual Focus control is available in Photo mode only, did you check that ?
(Not 100% sure, Mavic did not arrive, just learned that elsewhere)

Nils
2016-11-1
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

It's not perfect but probably use a flashlight and focus with the help of it - but the best would be an option to focus manually to endless,  to focus to something different makes no sense in the dark I guess
2016-11-1
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-11-1 14:08
If i recall The manual Focus control is available in Photo mode only, did you check that ?
(Not 10 ...

Hello there,

I've checked and I don't get a manual focus option in photo or video mode.  That is on an Android device anyway.

Can anyone with an iOS device let me know if they have the option to manually focus the camera in either video or photo mode?  I'm wondering if it is an Android/iOS difference..

Cheers
Andy
2016-11-3
Use props
Sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its available on both photo and video mode in IOS. I don't have my Android device to check the settings are there ( note you need the Mavic powered and connected to see the option ).

First you need to enable Manual Focus option in General Settings > Enable Manual Focusing
1.jpg

You then eed to select MF in either Image or Video mode to get the focusing slider.
2.jpg

3.jpg

2016-11-3
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's what I'm after!  will check in the general settings on my lunch break.  If it's not there, I may have to re-consider that iPhone purchase instead of waiting around for the Note 7 to stop self destructing....

Cheers!
Andy
2016-11-3
Use props
Andy Sayle
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just in from another flight, and there is no option in the general settings for manual focussing (Or "foscusing" ha ha!) on the Android App (v3.0.1)

It must be an Apple feature only at the moment..

Andy
2016-11-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There is a new bug fix download for iOS on dji go app for manual focus
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced