Cancel Mavic order and get a Phantom 3 Pro instead?
12Next >
3433 44 2016-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pauldw100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 259413 ft
Latvia

I've got a Mavic on order via an eBay seller.  I don't know if they're an authorised seller at this stage and will email them to ask after this post, but seriously with all the talk of the current problems with them (and there seems to be heaps!!) I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and go for a Phantom 3 Pro ?!  I've only ever had a Phantom 2 Vision + and loved it but the app kept losing live feed on my phone (altho it kept recording fine) and I wanted to view live footage but it was VERY hit and miss and frustrating to say the least so recently I sold it.  

The Mavic on YouTube reviews DOES look awesome, but in reality it's looking like it's very much a lemon at this stage ...   ... and as the topic states I'm wondering if I should cancel my order and buy a Phantom 3 Pro instead.  'tried and tested' maybe a better way to go, and come back and buy a Mavic in a year when hopefully all the bugs have been fixed.

Decisions decisions !!

2016-11-1
Use props
MavicPro
lvl.2

United States

why a P3P and not a P4...? Upgraded to a 4 from the 3P and loved it before I sold to fund the mavic, I hope I find my love again
2016-11-1
Use props
yHS0eU90xE7Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2313 ft
United States

Considering that too .. but why not a Phantom 4?
2016-11-1
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

I own both now (P3P and Mavic).. and I can say: if you don't need portability, go for the P3P or the P4: better video quality and a more mature software (Mavic will probably improve.. but it cannot match the P3P quality).
I never had an issue with y P3P... while I almost crashed my Mavic at the very first flight.. it means something.
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Yeah just looking at prices and my seller sells the Phantom 4 for a couple of hundred bucks more than what I've paid them for the Mavic, so have messaged them to find out 1) ETA as they've said all along they'll know better time frames on the 2nd on Nov so altho almost there for me, it's not too far away for them (China).  2) if they're and authorized seller, and 3) can I cancel my order.

As I say the Mavic DOES look the business in reviews but I'm just reading so much negativity on here and altho portability would be nice, I never minded the suitcase I carried around with my P2 in it.  

I'm thinking 'reliability' over 'portability' now I'm reading so much problems with the Mavic.  Ok, I'm sure they'll get ironed out, but maybe waiting till they have been before I go losing mine in the sea or somewhere else!
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Just had another look around and can get a Phantom 4 plus and extra battery brand new delivered for $300 more than I've paid for the Mavic.  Seriously considering it now, but will sleep on it and see what the seller of the Mavic has to say, but yeah, as I say altho the fold down ability of the Mavic DOES seem awesome, at the same time I'm quite happy to carry a hard case with me when I go out for a fly so must admit it's REALLY looking like the P4 might be better for me.  I *think* realistic flight time is a bit longer on the P4 but then tbh the 20+ minutes I got from my P2V+ was ample, and had 3 batteries with that and rarely used the 3rd tbh.

Just itching to get flying again really ...lol, but seriously I AM a tad worried about what I'm reading re the Mavic atm ...

2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Bargain !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DJI-P ... :g:0nsAAOSwB09YFWaR

Don't smell a rat or anything....
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Altho! ....

Just took this quote from the phantom 4 page, is the P4 just as bad?????

'ive never seen so many issues and complaints. Every day I've been reading these hoping to see some "problem solved" thread. I see the same stories of problem plagued P4 owners and customer service reps using the same script. I never see anyone getting their issue resolved because it's not the device or the cord or the camera setting. It's the damn P4 and firmware. DJI is ripping us off. '

Man!! ... dare I say it but should I just try another brand ...
2016-11-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whichever you purchase (if from an authorized dealer) will have a 1yr warranty on the aircraft.
Yes, there are a few reporting an issue but that will be resolved.
The Mavic is awesome for it's portability, flight time, great price on batteries.
The P4 give you incredible photos.videos (as well as the Mavic does too). Even the P3P is an incredible aircraft.
It all depends on what your needs are.
2016-11-1
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Thinking of getting a P3 as well. They are going very cheap in comparison. What's the difference between the P3 and P4?
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Jenkins Posted at 2016-11-2 04:33
Thinking of getting a P3 as well. They are going very cheap in comparison. What's the difference bet ...

Well have took the plunge and got a refund on my Mavic purchase, my seller has no ETA on when to expect either.  I'm sure the teething troubles will get ironed out in time, but tbh I'm too reckless and a risk taker to have a drone that *might* go on the wonk while I'm flying it, so will leave the Mavic for 6 months or a year, or till at least it seems to be doing what it SHOULD with every purchase!

Now to find me a phantom 4....
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-2 04:31
Whichever you purchase (if from an authorized dealer) will have a 1yr warranty on the aircraft.
Yes, ...

*needs are* for me is decent flight time.  Decent pictures and video, and I want to be viewing real time footage on my phone or tablet WHEREVER the drone is.  My phantom 2 V+ was very intermittent with real time footage and before I switched to ATTI mode I once lost it in the air for 12 minutes ...lol.  I laugh but was almost crying till I head it above me from behind when I thought it was 500m in front of me.  

So yeah, at this stage just want a drone that was like my P2V+ but 'worked' all the time.  Obstacle avoidance will be the winner and get me buying a P4 me thinks.
2016-11-1
Use props
PpZS6kXZJzzz
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-11-1
Use props
Linsenfest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 199475 ft
Germany

Hehe
You have the same thougts that i have xD
I only want the Mavic because of portability.
2016-11-1
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

PpZS6kXZJzzz Posted at 2016-11-2 15:54
Get a karma instead. DJI doesn't deserve any of our business after how they've been treating custome ...

Obstacle avoidance? ... didn't mention it in the video I just watched.
2016-11-2
Use props
pauldw100
lvl.3
Latvia

Jenkins Posted at 2016-11-2 04:33
Thinking of getting a P3 as well. They are going very cheap in comparison. What's the difference bet ...

From my limited understanding the obstacle avoidance is the big thing as the P3 don't do that, but both 4k camera's and I think the same flight time, but am sure someone will know the full difference.  
2016-11-2
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1909 ft
United States

You need to fly the P4 first & see how fast can go .... The Mavic is something else is freeky FAST ! Like F1 cars . It's so much fun than P4 , still can't believe how they get to put all those futures in this small platform .  I never had a problem with my Mavic (maybe because I flew P4 before) . Camera  get  same quality as P4 & GoPro just isn't wide shoot .
2016-11-2
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

pauldw100@gmail Posted at 2016-11-2 17:16
From my limited understanding the obstacle avoidance is the big thing as the P3 don't do that, but ...

price of P3P and P4 aren't that different and frankly I think obstacle avoidance is worth paying extra
2016-11-2
Use props
fansc798bb00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The Mavic looks incredible - but no good for my flight test without an attitude hold switch and it's hard to get hold of. Both the P3P and P4 are options for me - P3P seems very ironed out whilst the P4 seems to have odd issues still but keeps its props out of the video better. OA shouldn't be needed in a controlled environment under VFR.
2016-11-2
Use props
jwill758
lvl.2

United States

pauldw100@gmail Posted at 2016-11-2 04:00
Bargain !!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DJI-Phantom-4-Pro-GPS-QuadCopter-Phantom4-Drone-4K-12-MP-HD-2 ...

The link as I found it ???

This listing (272431448089) has been removed, or this item isn't available.
Please check that you've entered the correct item number
Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago won't be available for viewing.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pauldw100@gmail Posted at 2016-11-2 15:37
*needs are* for me is decent flight time.  Decent pictures and video, and I want to be viewing rea ...

You stated wherever in CAPS, not going to happen. If you are flying with tons of interference around and the aircraft is capable of 3 miles range you WILL NOT even come close to that.

If you are used to a P2V, then any pf the P3's, P4, or Mavic will do much more than you can expect.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

pauldw100@gmail Posted at 2016-11-2 17:16
From my limited understanding the obstacle avoidance is the big thing as the P3 don't do that, but ...

Every aircraft has full specs listed on the DJI page for that particular aircraft.
P4 and the Mavic have obstacle avoidance.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

F.C Drone City  Posted at 2016-11-2 18:32
You need to fly the P4 first & see how fast can go .... The Mavic is something else is freeky FAST ! ...

Actually the P4 is faster than the Mavic.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansc798bb00 Posted at 2016-11-2 21:06
The Mavic looks incredible - but no good for my flight test without an attitude hold switch and it's ...

All the DJI aircraft have full time altitude hold, there is no switch.
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

jwill758 Posted at 2016-11-2 21:07
The link as I found it ???

This listing (272431448089) has been removed, or this item isn't avail ...

Yeah sold.  It was a brand new P4 for $20 lol, but with $350 postage.  overall (if real and doubtful) under $400 for a P4.  eBay add ran it's course or was sold, the seller had sold 4 of the 5 he/she had.
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-2 22:45
You stated wherever in CAPS, not going to happen. If you are flying with tons of interference arou ...

Yeah friend who also has P2V+ used a friends P3 and said it was a whole new drone, was very impressed!
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

leostark Posted at 2016-11-2 18:35
price of P3P and P4 aren't that different and frankly I think obstacle avoidance is worth paying e ...

Yeah i'll often fly from the middle of a football field and all good, but I back onto a golf course and have a 300m run, but only the 100m width and trees along each sides.  I flew my P2 into a tree on 2 occasions and killed 1 x battery when it crashed on one drop.  Tbh my P2 dropped to the floor (grass) on prob 3 - 4 occasions and actually held up well considering!  
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

F.C Drone City  Posted at 2016-11-2 18:32
You need to fly the P4 first & see how fast can go .... The Mavic is something else is freeky FAST ! ...

This post gives me doubts on the P4 now and wondering if I should reinstate my Mavic order, but at the same time have read quite a few horror stories on the current Mavic's and just the way I fly (reckless at times) I think I'm gonna need something that just 'works' for now.  Anything which *might* play up is a recipe for disaster for me atm ...
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

fans33026ba8 Posted at 2016-11-3 04:14
This post gives me doubts on the P4 now and wondering if I should reinstate my Mavic order, but at ...

So still thinking for now I should go for the P4 and hold for the Mavic.  I can go for a refurb from DJI for $1174 or can literally pickup today a P4 that is just over the month old for $1500 (they paid $2,209) and got receipt and bought from authorized seller.  Had 5 flights and about 1.5hrs in the air apparently and never crashed - mint condition and told feel free to come inspect!  The impatient side of me wants to go collect the $1500 one today, but the sensible side of me says maybe better to get from DJI and just do the wait.  Cheapest brand new elsewhere I can find is on eBay for the $1500 mark but can also get one with an extra battery for $1600.  Haven't flown a drone for over a month and prior to that have only had about 2 months of flying a 'decent' drone, so the craving is pretty strong atm ...lol

AGHHHHHH !!! .... I just can't decide what to do !!! ...
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

Oh and don't know why my username has changed ...lol, but fans33026ba8 is me, Pauldw100
2016-11-2
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've really been considering the P4 as well but there's one limitation on it that's holding me off completely: RANGE. The Mavic just blows it out of the water, and for me it's important for the shots I want to get (mountains, etc).
Also, I'm coming from a Dragonlink FPV history of aircraft, so I've always had the ability to fly 10+ miles LOS if I wanted to. My max distance is 6 miles, before all the rules and regulations kicked in (2010)
2016-11-2
Use props
fansc798bb00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-2 14:49
All the DJI aircraft have full time altitude hold, there is no switch.

All the DJI aircraft have GPS hold, there is a switch to choose Attitude hold on all but the Mavic which has full time GPS hold until such times the computers give up and hand the operator back control without warning. Sort of a DJI equivalent of alternate law...

It is a requirement of a CAA flight test that most of the test be carried out in Attitude hold to simulate GPS failure or conditions where flying in Attitude Hold would be substantially safer e.g. close to buildings / trees / objects where a loss or acquisition of GPS / compass could predictably result in sudden uncommanded control inputs.

This means a Mavic can't be used - my dilemma is to go P3P or P4. As I say, reviews and forums suggest the P3P is more sorted, whereas the P4 is faster, doesn't show the props full time and is more stable when in GPS lock. P4 is looking the way to go at the moment.
2016-11-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

fansc798bb00 Posted at 2016-11-3 10:04
All the DJI aircraft have GPS hold, there is a switch to choose Attitude hold on all but the Mavic ...

The P4 will be an excellent choice for you.
2016-11-2
Use props
Thomusvoo
lvl.2

United States

Do it. And regret it later.
2016-11-2
Use props
fans33026ba8
lvl.3
Latvia

Well my decision has been made....

Purchased on the 1st of September, and had less than an hour in the air (2 charges worth).  Took it to my local footie field on the way home but controller was flat, so currently charging controller and battery and I have a spare Samsung Tab 3 which I was gonna sell but will keep now and use solely for the drone.  I do a half day on Friday so tomorrow midday I will be flying again! ...

Incidentally I'm loving the build quality of the drone and the controller compared to my old P2V+

Will have a good read up on the controls and settings etc tonight so I am ready for tomorrow.  Bring it on !!

2016-11-3
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

fansc798bb00 Posted at 2016-11-3 02:04
All the DJI aircraft have GPS hold, there is a switch to choose Attitude hold on all but the Mavic ...

The question was about altitude, not attitude by the way..
2016-11-3
Use props
fans1c9fffff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25430 ft
United States

fans33026ba8 Posted at 2016-11-3 04:25
So still thinking for now I should go for the P4 and hold for the Mavic.  I can go for a refurb fr ...

Are you talking US Dollars??
2016-11-3
Use props
Pauldw100
lvl.3
Australia

fans1c9fffff Posted at 2016-11-4 10:47
Are you talking US Dollars??

AU dollars, $899US

Hey pics not allowed on this forum I take it as the pic of my setup has been removed! ... ?!?
2016-11-3
Use props
jwill758
lvl.2

United States

fans33026ba8 Posted at 2016-11-3 04:25
So still thinking for now I should go for the P4 and hold for the Mavic.  I can go for a refurb fr ...

I have always been told that ones first instinct is almost always the best, or "right" one. Like when you're taking a test in college, your first instinct/answer is usually the right one. Never change your answer. So....what was your first instinct ? Mavic Pro or P4 ? You have your answer . :-/
2016-11-3
Use props
fansc798bb00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Watty2000 Posted at 2016-11-4 01:14
The question was about altitude, not attitude by the way..

Actually, my point was about attitude, the response from DJI referred to altitude, I then responded with reference to attitude.

The point was - no option to enforce atti mode = no option to use Mavic for a CAA flight test. Or override Mavic in a number of dangerous but predictable scenarios when you'd be safer operating without GPS hold at all.

It's a bit like having the brake pedal removed from your car and being told that the car now handles the braking for you, except for the times when it doesn't but we don't refer to those times, it's really down to users to discover those.
2016-11-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules