Phantom software updates
1643 7 2015-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jontoddler9
New

United States

Even with the latest update(s) to the no-fly-zones mapping, it still takes a manual effort for the pilot to connect the drone to a computer to get it installed.  Sometimes this procedure might be an oversight from the pilot.  Would it not be beneficial as part of the pre-flight procedures to have the drone check for update versioning prior to lift-off.  If the ver. on the drone is different than what is being offered from DJI the drone would not allow for flight until the versioning matched.  Possibly this check process could be accomplished through a smart phone app. or through GPS signaling.

Sure, this idea still makes the pilot have to manually connect the drone and accomplish the download, but I feel this would help protect the UAV/drone manufactures, pilot and surrounding areas(no-fly-zones).  I am not suggesting that any versioning differences get installed(just check) over these connection methods, as it could cause extra costs to the pilot's data plan(if done with a smart phone).

Just a though.  Proud Phantom owner.
2015-2-6
Use props
grangerfx.gmail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Most manufacturers of wireless electronics recommend or require that the devices be connected via a physical connection before updating firmware. Their reason for this requirement is that WiFi is not dependable and can cause errors in the data. I have never heard an explanation for why this should be if they can simply validate checksums prior to updating. Honestly the lack of WiFi updates is a pretty clear sign of a problem with the developers of the software. All smart phones can be updated over the air because their software was designed properly to validate the update using strong cryptographic checksums.
2015-2-6
Use props
raulfanani.gmai
New

Brazil

Hello!

Please someone help me! I updated my Phanton2V+ and the gimbal is dead!!!

Im from Brazil and there is no support here!

Thank you!
2015-2-6
Use props
jontoddler9
New

United States

grangerfx.gmail Posted at 2015-2-7 03:36
Most manufacturers of wireless electronics recommend or require that the devices be connected via a  ...

But that is just the point.  I am not recommending that the updates take place via a WIFI connection, it would be just a way to check the if the version of firmware on the drone is at the level of what the latest DJI is offering.  Then the pilot would still have to make a physical connection to get the version needed.  This matching process would be part of the pre-flight and if the versioning didn't match, flight could not continue until the versions matched.
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

raulfanani.gmai Posted at 2015-2-7 03:41
Hello!

Please someone help me! I updated my Phanton2V+ and the gimbal is dead!!!

Did you get the version 3 with the gimbal control wheel?
2015-2-6
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

jontoddler9 Posted at 2015-2-7 10:24
But that is just the point.  I am not recommending that the updates take place via a WIFI connecti ...

Great, image being forced to take one of DJI's updates before you could fly. Maybe after the update you couldn't fly because the update trashed your drone.
2015-2-6
Use props
rondrice.gmail
lvl.1

United States

The owner should be the one to determine what updates get installed.
2015-2-6
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rondrice.gmail Posted at 2015-2-7 11:30
The owner should be the one to determine what updates get installed.

Safety of the public.  That's what regulations are for.
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules