Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Crashes IMU RTH
well we're up and flying, but now many crashes , did we do calibrations IMU was it RTH at fault do we need more firmwear, well truth is it could be all of those things, but something concerns me,
RTH button, when should I use it, that's easy only when I need it, other than that always fly your aircraft home.
It seems ridiculous that someone would be so lazy as to just push RTH to get home, you wont ever improve your skills if this becomes your preferred way of landing.
I would suggest reading the manual until your comfortable with what happens when RTH activated by you or automatically.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit"
This was not written by me , but was an answer to a question I posed.

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, I wouldn’t like to say; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment. Also after a firmware update is a good opportunity just in case the stored values get corrupted or are incompatible with the later firmware.

I did put this piece together because at least 1 person seemed to have a problem, I think Bad IMU.

Its also good to mention that the IMU is the reason why you are able to shut off the motors using just the throttle down command when on the ground. The IMU reads that the aircraft is unable to move any further, and after three seconds it determines that is has officially landed and can shut off the motors safely.

2016-11-1
Use props
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Well said,

I always fly home manually.. RTH seems lazy and opens you up to any number of unforeseeable thing outside of your control going wrong.

I think when i finally get my Mavic i will be disabling the vision positioning and collision sensors as they seem open to error if lighting or mappable ground patterns become incompatible with what is required for them to work.

There do seem to be allot of people reporting a loss of seemingly strong GPS signal though which concerns me. Is it possible that the GPS module in this craft is too tightly packed with the other components for it to be reliable?..

I have always flown my inspire in GPS mode a not once have i lost signal..

If the vision and collision sensors are disabled on the Mavic and you do lose GPS, You should always be automatically switched to atti mode correct? There should be no other automation confusing the craft..?
2016-11-1
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3

Well Casey's fly away drone is making more sense everyday after reading all of these posts...
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Droney McDronef Posted at 2016-11-1 20:43
Well said,

I always fly home manually.. RTH seems lazy and opens you up to any number of unforeseea ...

You won't loose gps, if you switch off, like you I have never lost gps lucky I suppose or just careful where I fly, I think it's ok to keep sensors and vps on , some people like to switch it off when flying low over water, and that has some value.

I think we will see firmwear coming soon might iron out some glitches, but I think Mavic seems to have so many complete beginners that even if you suggest to make sure to read the manual or tell them to make sure to start flying on full battery, they want to start a fight with you, lol , I think mods are going to be busy here when everyone gets their aircraft.
2016-11-1
Use props
Droney McDronef
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-2 10:04
You won't loose gps, if you switch off, like you I have never lost gps lucky I suppose or just car ...

Sorry, Yep, That's what i meant. Just turning off the vision and avoidance so that i can rely on the GPS.

Yes, i feel bad for the people on this forum who have to deal with the oncoming shit storm.

The Mavic certainly isn't ideal for beginners. Perhaps why they placed the word PRO on the end..

But as you say, GoPros dumbing down of the Karma is also a very dangerous thing. I can't believe the complete lack of telemetry and important information on the karma. A flying blender should definitely not be treated as child's play.
2016-11-1
Use props
Powey
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-1 21:04
You won't loose gps, if you switch off, like you I have never lost gps lucky I suppose or just car ...

Hi,

I'm a novice drone pilot. However, I am not daft.

I've had successful wing flights, as a child.

i'm not up for a fight. I'd be up for some flight advice though ;)

I'd take any advice, gratefully.

I'm in to photography as one of a few hobbies that I'll get amazing shots with. I'll be mastering the ATTi controls (I hope) as I'll be doing other stuff when using the drone, at times. I'll be in remote areas 99.99% of the time.

I thought I could use the flight sim before the arrival of my drone but turns out not?

Going to look in to local clubs (work in Nottinghamshire a fair bit and live in Snowdonia)

BTW I'm finding some really good info on here, so thanks all
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Powey Posted at 2016-11-1 22:07
Hi,

It's a pity you can't switch straight to Atti as you can with P4, but maybe they might give us that in the future,
And on a windy in an open field it's fun,
Hopefully I might get some photography tips..
2016-11-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riotcontrol Posted at 2016-11-1 17:04
Well Casey's fly away drone is making more sense everyday after reading all of these posts...

Casey is an idiot, you can't really go by what he does, he's in for the crashes= more YouTube hits
2016-11-1
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2016-11-2 06:34
Casey is an idiot, you can't really go by what he does, he's in for the crashes= more YouTube hit ...

Maybe so, but the fact still remains that his was apparently unresponsive and flew away...
2016-11-1
Use props
destinylove1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89669 ft
United Kingdom

So many threads now on here about issues what I've gathered so far is switch avoidance off unless in open country side with no obstacles and never press rth button
2016-11-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riotcontrol Posted at 2016-11-1 18:57
Maybe so, but the fact still remains that his was apparently unresponsive and flew away...

I believe he was using wi-fi , if you notice Casey does a few reviews on a product, when that's played out he crashes them and moves on to the next product anyone will give him.
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

destinylove1 Posted at 2016-11-1 23:24
So many threads now on here about issues what I've gathered so far is switch avoidance off unless in ...

Sorry destiny, but that's all wrong, don't use RTH if you can land yourself, I don't recommend turning of obstacle avoidance, or VPS .
For new flyers go into big open space when starting out , it's much less stressful and you will gain much more confidence.
Read the Manual and learn how the aircraft works.
And go out and enjoy,
2016-11-1
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

I have only used RTH one time. It was in the country, with a lot of trees. My Dad still lives in 1975 and didn't understand that trees, hills, and mainly trees on hills interfere with the signal. He lost control, I told him to use the return to home on the controller, he said he did and wasn't working. He was panicked and just pressed it, instead of pressing and then pressing and holding it. We got it back no problems. It was a Phantom 3 advanced, and he now understands what interference is now and tells people about it when someone asks him about his quadcopter. He thought that since the manufacturer says it will go 3 miles, it will go that far no matter what, not understanding the concept of interference. I even explained to imagine a string on the controller connected to the quadcopter in a straight line. If something would get in the way of that straight line (trees), interfererence is introuduced. Well, he learned his lesson and is more cautious when flying now, I'm happy to say. He is now possibly up to date with when the first cell phones came out for consumer use (still can't text though). But he is still not in 2016 yet, but he is getting there. I hope at least.
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

incogneito Posted at 2016-11-2 00:31
I have only used RTH one time. It was in the country, with a lot of trees. My Dad still lives in 197 ...

Great story incognito, good luck to him..
2016-11-1
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

Well, he won't fly it unless I am there so that's all good. I'm just glad he understands now. Even when talking to people about it he explains everything I taught him about it to them. Weather he UNDERSTANDS it is a different story. But he is excited about it and has become a better, and what I'm happy for, a SAFER pilot as well.
2016-11-1
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

I land my Mavic manually most of the time. Really, even if you are doing it manually, things could still get ugly. Personal experience with Phantom 2 and 4. Having said that, I've used RTH on the Mavic about 22 times.
2016-11-1
Use props
Mayoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 299708 ft
Canada

I have been flying 3DR Solo for 16months and only done any calibrations when notified by the app. When i get my Mavic, i will do the regular calibrations but never going to do IMU cal ..
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mayoo Posted at 2016-11-2 01:13
I have been flying 3DR Solo for 16months and only done any calibrations when notified by the app. Wh ...

Well I hope IMU cal was correctly done at the factory, you have experience you know what your at and I'm sure when you get it up in the air, you will know what's best, however I do think it's important for people to understand a little on how these things work.
2016-11-1
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

I have no problems with my IMU except sometimes, temperature doesn't affect it, it takes longer than other times on my mavic pro.
2016-11-1
Use props
fans12237198
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34094 ft
United States

Good advice. I have never used RTH on my P4.
Main reason being, because I am afraid of the different things that can go wrong.
I will only use it, last resort.
2016-11-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

incogneito Posted at 2016-11-2 01:28
I have no problems with my IMU except sometimes, temperature doesn't affect it, it takes longer than ...

There are some people and I'm one of them before I do an IMU I put the aircraft in a bag and leave it in the fridge for fifteen minutes, then put the battery in and do the calibration, what this can help with is when you starting your aircraft up outside, it doesn't take as long to warm up,
But it's just something I picked up from another forum..
2016-11-1
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-2 09:38
There are some people and I'm one of them before I do an IMU I put the aircraft in a bag and leave ...

I have read that as well. I have not calibrated the IMU since getting it, and temperature doesn't seem to affect how long it take for it to "initialize". Sometimes in the cold it takes a while, and sometimes in the warmer weather it takes sometime and vice versa.
2016-11-1
Use props
incogneito
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-2 09:38
There are some people and I'm one of them before I do an IMU I put the aircraft in a bag and leave ...

I have read that as well. I have not calibrated the IMU since getting it, and temperature doesn't seem to affect how long it take for it to "initialize". Sometimes in the cold it takes a while, and sometimes in the warmer weather it takes sometime and vice versa. Either way, my pictures are still blurry on the left hand side.
2016-11-1
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Riotcontrol Posted at 2016-11-2 05:04

I agree.

Seems peeps may have been too quick to presume pilot error.
2016-11-2
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Powey Posted at 2016-11-2 06:07
Hi,

..I'd take any advice, gratefully.
I thought I could use the flight sim before the arrival of my drone but turns out not?..

Correct you need to Mavic to be connected for the provided SIM to work. And then having used the DJI Go SIM briefly, it is is pretty rudimentarty.

I have an iPad and installed the QuadcopterFX simulator app on it. It is an expcellent trainer IMO. It really is worth the $5 or so it costs. Never flown a real drone before today. Having practiced for maybe 5 hours with QuadcopterFX, meant the only surprise I had when I fired up the Mavic was how easy it is to fly.  The first hour or so on QuadcopterFX SIM was confusing then thngs all started to make sense.   Also this vid sorted me out on how to get the thing back when it is a dot on the horizon. The aforementioned SIM is perfect for practicing this maneuvre.

2016-11-2
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

Logger Posted at 2016-11-2 18:46
I thought I could use the flight sim before the arrival of m ...

HEY, the V262 was my FIRST Multirotor, causing multiple $$$ and hours to be burnt later for more advanced crafts. Boy in that respect one of my most expensive toys in the long run :-)

Nils
2016-11-2
Use props
Powey
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-11-2 14:49
HEY, the V262 was my FIRST Multirotor, causing multiple $$$ and hours to be burnt later for more ad ...

If i were to buy a really good lens id havd spent about the same as i have on the mavic - i gey a whole new toy this way
2016-11-2
Use props
Powey
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Logger Posted at 2016-11-2 10:46
I thought I could use the flight sim before the arrival of m ...

Thats great thanks, i use android but i'll defo check for that app...

That video was clear and to the point - i like that... No waffeling on

I'm very keen to meet a p4 user that understands the atti/object avoidence so as i can learn to set this up correctly.
I want to concentrate on the camera action, at times.

More great info thanks
2016-11-2
Use props
Powey
lvl.2

United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-1 22:29
It's a pity you can't switch straight to Atti as you can with P4, but maybe they might give us tha ...

Hay, im no expert - its a hobby and i think i get some good shots because i put myself in some great places not everyone bothers to find - location is key.
look at depth to your shot as this can be used to great effect and further exploited when editing, after photo is taken.

Like i said im far from a pro... Always happy to chat and share my experiances with others of similar interests

Is there much to setting up atti?
The colision avoidence sounds like that coukd be a long and dangerous mission to set up as well??

Cheers
2016-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Powey Posted at 2016-11-2 15:37
Hay, im no expert - its a hobby and i think i get some good shots because i put myself in some gre ...

You can't set up Atti with Mavic
2016-11-2
Use props
Powey
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Oh... So are the issues all with atti software and/or calibration?

Is collision avoidance hard to set up?

Cheers
2016-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Powey Posted at 2016-11-2 18:29
Oh... So are the issues all with atti software and/or calibration?

Is collision avoidance hard to s ...

No it's all very simple, you will see it all in the manual, Snowdonia is a beautiful place..
2016-11-2
Use props
fansf906a12b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406585 ft
United States

Why is everyone using RTH? I only see it as a redundancy. I never used it on my P4 (manually) it kicked in a couple of times when I lost signal. Once I disabled it and the other I was driving away so had to go back and it had landed.

I'm not debating the problem with RTH I'm just wondering why everyone is using it so much? I would think if you don't think you can fly it back, don't fly it away so far until you are confident you can.
2016-11-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fansf906a12b Posted at 2016-11-2 19:48
Why is everyone using RTH? I only see it as a redundancy. I never used it on my P4 (manually) it kic ...

Not to sure if it's nerves, beginners may think this is an easy way to get aircraft back, I think if they read the manual, it explains very well why and how to use RTH,
I used twice with P4 , once when I got it just to check it worked as they said, and the next time was loss of signal.
When I used it I read up to make sure when I used it I had all my settings right RTH height etc I also knew what speed it would travel and knew I would get prompt to cancel and land myself..
2016-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules