Manual/Infinity Focus - Am I doing this wrong?
14064 20 2016-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hpsmasher
New

United States

First off, Auto Focus works pretty well, but it would be nice to have everything in focus all of the time including the background. So, I'm either unclear on how to Infinity Focus or I have the wrong expectation of the Manual Focus settings. If I:
-Settings -> Enable Manual Focus
-Switch back to Camera
-Tap AF/MF to switch to Manual Focus
-Tap the "infinity" symbol (wheel scrolls all of the way to bottom)

I would expect this to put the focus in "infinity" where, like the P4, everything is in focus. However, all it does is make everything blurry. Like everything, foreground and background is completely blurry. The same behavior happens on my buddy's Mavic so I assume thats how its supposed to work, but it seems useless. Am I doing this wrong?
2016-11-1
Use props
lordnibbler
lvl.1
United States

Same exact issue here. Only way I can get a sharp focus is to tap on something far away in the shot. I've never owned a camera where infinity focus behaved like this, and was completely unusable. Maybe its actually a software bug?
2016-11-1
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm having this same issue as well. It focuses to infinity somewhere in the middle of the dial. Which is counterintuitive especially since there is a macro and infinity button on either end.  Like most lenses there is a marking where the infinity lens.
2016-11-18
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

This definitely seems like a bug/QA fail, I noticed the same thing the other day.

2016-11-18
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

I don't think I fully understand the issue described in OP and in posts below it, but something like

> "it would be nice to have everything in focus all of the time including the background"

is simply not possible by laws of physics. But you should be able to get something very similar to other drone's(*) and action cams(*) "fixed focus" setup, by focusing on something in between "medium distance" and infitive. Exactly what distance that is and how wide the "deepth of field" will be, depends on aperture (and I don't know if that varies by light on the Mavic's camera?). But some people suggests to focusing on something 20m ahead (I don't have my drone yet myself, so haven't verified).

(*) As long as we are looking at similar spec'ed cameras. Ie, same sensor size and partially also same FOV (though for the same motive, you probably shot at a greater distance when the lens has smaller FOV and that compensates for the generally smaller depth of field of such lenses). Phantoms 3 and 4 (but not the 4 Pro) has same sensor size as Mavic. GoPros also, but that is a bit of a special case with their fisheye lenses.

Besides that, let me repeat it is very likely there are some bugs in the  focus-setting. As I said, I don't fully understand what people are  trying to describe here. Probably wont do until I have the drone in my  hands...

And for general information, the bigger sensor on the Phantom 4 Pro makes correct focus even more vital than on the Mavic...

2016-11-18
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

No not a bug. RTFM. I believe most cameras will focus beyond infinity (so to speak), hence these instructions at https://www.dji.com/mavic/info

2. When shooting in manual focus mode, my shots are blurred even when moving the slider all the way to infinite focus. Why?
The focus range of the Mavic is 0.5m to infinite. Slide along the bar until you reach a focus point. Sliding straight to infinite focus does not guarantee sharp focus.
2016-11-18
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
Canada

StigNygaard Posted at 2016-11-19 02:39
I don't think I fully understand the issue described in OP and in posts below it, but something like ...

I think the question would make more sense if you have advanced knowledge in photography particularly if you focus manually.  And let's not get into semantics here....

Most lenses have an infinity mark (see photo).  When the lens is set to infinity, it has the widest range of subjects in focus.  If you're not shooting a foreground then "everything" will be in focus.  We need to know where this infinity mark is.  Why?  If you are shooting against the sun or in low-light conditions, you cannot rely on auto-focus.  As it stands, the UI doesn't tell us where this is.

Also, sensor size has nothing to do with focusing.  It's the type of sensors.

infinity-focusing.jpg
2016-11-18
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-18 22:20
I think the question would make more sense if you have advanced knowledge in photography particula ...

> if you have advanced  knowledge in photography

Well, I do have "advanced knowledge in photography" :-)

> When the lens is set to  infinity, it has the widest range of subjects in focus

Not correct.

Well, first of all, in principle only the distance you focus at is perfectly in focus. But in practice you have a "depth of field" (DOF), which is a "distance-range" where everything seems sharp - or rather everything is so sharp that you don't notice it's not perfectly sharp. How big the DOF is, depends on a few factors like focus-distance, aperture, focal length and sensor size. To get the widest possible range "in focus" (Where "in focus" is everything included in the DOF) you should set focus to something closer than infinitive but far enough away to have infinitive included in your DOF.

Actually such a focus-distance has a name. It's the "hyperfocal distance". Google it...

Fixed-focus cameras, like for example the ones found on Phantom 4 (not the new Pro model) and in GoPro cameras, probably have their fixed focus set at the hyperfocal distance.

> Also, sensor size has nothing to do with focusing.  It's the type of sensors.

Focusing is focusing. But DOF depends on the sensors physical size(*). When shooting with a camera having a small sensor, you have a much bigger DOF. Personally I often like to be able to limit the DOF when taking photos to put your "mind's focus" on a specific subject in the image, and that is one of the reasons why I personally have a DSLR for "normal photography". The bigger sensors in DSLRs gives you much smaller DOF in your photos. But for landscape and drone photography you will often strive for a big DOF.

(*) Well, if we have to be absolutely scientificly correct, DOF does not depend directly on sensors size but rather on lens' true/real  focal length. A small focal length gives you a wider DOF. But it is important to understand that we then have to talk about the real  focal lengths. Once we start to convert the focal lengths to 35mm equivalent focal lengths (which we normally do) or talk field-of-view instead of focal length, we introduce the sensor size in the equation. So in practice smaller sensor size equals wider DOF (Because a camera with a small sensor has a lens with a much shorter real  focal length).

2016-11-19
Use props
UK Dave H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 98816 ft
United Kingdom

Spot on. When taking landscape photography, used to spend a lot of time nailing the hyper focal distance. Particularly true for long exposure night shots where you couldn't see what you were focusing on!
2016-11-19
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-18 22:20
I think the question would make more sense if you have advanced knowledge in photography particula ...

Okay, I read all above posts again, and I think I understand the problem people are trying to describe. And it does sound like there is a some software bug (or camera calibration) if everything including "infinitive", gets blurry when you tab on the infinitive symbol in manual focus mode. However nothing is wrong in what I wrote in reply above. It's just general facts and optical theory.

Also as I might just add that atmospheric disturbances can disturb the perfect theoretical equations. And that's why you on for example many DSLR lenses has the opportunity to focus beyond infinitive. Sometimes a bit of "haze" in the air can act like a big lens "disturbing" the focus. And to be able to compensate for that, you are able to focus a bit beyond infinitive with some lenses (and you can see that on the lens yoengel posted a picture of in post #7). I do however NOT think that is the reason for people's problem here, because even if the Mavic deliberately has the oppertunity to focus a bit beyond infinitive, I would expect DOF to be so big that it has no practice influence on Mavic's focus (as long as we look at "things far away").

Maybe the problem is that manual focus was only added to later versions of software. Originally relying only on autofocus, DJI didn't need to calibrate cameras on the early Mavics, because autofocus would compensate for it. But adding the manual focus option suddenly makes it important to calibrate the lens/camera's focus(scale). Well, it's a theory. You should of course contact DJI I think...
2016-11-19
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-19 08:21
hmm...you're answer does not make any sense...please see my response above.

Well I was only quoting the Mavic manual, so take it up with DJI.

Can I suggest you simply google "focus beyond infinity".  This will explain why going to the end of the scales results in out of focus.
2016-11-19
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Australia

I don't want it to go past infinity. The infinity point in the optical system is dynamic. It will vary ever so slightly with temperature and pressure variations. therefore it cannot be a fixed point on the focus ring.   Was just looking at my EF 70-200 & just like your EF 24-105 it allows focus beyond the nominal infinity point too.
A solution might be to allow users to set a limiter on the manual focus scale to calibrate their infinity though. So allow us to auto focus and mark that point on the manual scale. Then use that point as your infinity point until you are unhappy with it and need to re-calibrate it again.
2016-11-19
Use props
LAST
lvl.1
Czechia

Try manual focusing on the hyperfocal distance:2,20m
sensor 1/2.3″ size:6.17mm×4.56mm
circle of confussion:0.0056mm
crop factor:5.6
lens:5mm(28mm on 35 format) aperture 2,2
Then comes everything is in focus from 1 meter to infinity
2016-11-20
Use props
fans24bad126
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-18 13:20
I think the question would make more sense if you have advanced knowledge in photography particularly if you focus manually.  And let's not get into semantics here....

Most lenses have an infinity mark (see photo).  When the lens is set to infinity, it has the widest range of subjects in focus.  If you're not shooting a foreground then "everything" will be in focus.  We need to know where this infinity mark is.  Why?  If you are shooting against the sun or in low-light conditions, you cannot rely on auto-focus.  As it stands, the UI doesn't tell us where this is.

Nice lens.  the 24 to 105 is no joke.
2017-3-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The infinity mark is only useful on a properly calibrated lens -- what DJI is saying is that the current manual focusing control overshoots infinity, presumably because proper calibration is not possible, or the manual control is buggy.  It would be nice to know which is the case.

The DJI mods here recommend posting bug reports and feature requests using your DJI Go 4 app > Me > Feedback.

In the meantime, you can turn on Focus Peaking (now available on aOS) and use the digital zoom feature to try to better nail nighttime focus if you haven't tried either of those yet. Hope this helps.
2017-3-4
Use props
fanse971b061
New
Flight distance : 25289 ft
Singapore

You should focus on the hyperfocal distance not on the infinity.
2017-5-10
Use props
fans6c3ebc23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 563264 ft
Canada

yoengel Posted at 2016-11-20 10:34
Thanks, but focusing during daytime with a foreground is easy.  I would like to know how to focus at night, or when I'm flying above the water into the sun with nothing else to focus on.

This is what the infinity mark is for.

Jesus christ. Went through the whole thread and unfortunately didn't find the answer. Totally agree with you, how - do - I - get - to - the - infinity - mark? Not beyond, not before. Just right.
2017-6-15
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

To be honest the ones new to the drone just want to know how to get the best focus on images and vids, does this mean tapping the screen on every move ? because at the moment my iphone does better vid & pics
2017-6-15
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

I'd just like to know how to get the damn thing TO focus. Mine tends to want to run out of focus most of the time.
2017-6-15
Use props
MatthomENC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137142 ft
United States

Just found this thread, which is very similar to my problem ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-203602-1-1.html ).

While the information regarding the infinity focus and DOF is great to see, I am not finding the answer to actually automatically focusing on the image.

I utilize our M210 to fly as close to the facade of high-rise buildings and capture images of sealant, masonry, and basically problems, if the camera can't get a quality focus then I have the problems. We upgraded to the M210 V2 RTK for stability and better images only to find blurry photos. Any focus ideas or concepts are welcome.

2019-12-6
Use props
fans038e60f2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 732592 ft

United States

So Today I tried using the P1 before dawn in low light about 5:30 had a serious issue as well not being able to manually adjust the focus. Tried to set it to infinity did not work at all actually got worse. After dawn around 6:05 am The camera started focusing correctly. Anyone else have this issue before? The camera focused on the ground about 3 ft in front of the M300 and would not refocus the camera and it did not matter what I tried in the focus scroll it made zero difference. I believe DJI has a hidden function at play or a Bug. I have also Experience the same issue described by others with the auto focus and infinity function.
2021-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules