2nd video
1108 11 2016-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boldblue737
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418337 ft
  • >>>

[size=14.666666984558105px]2nd edited video...

[size=14.666666984558105px]This time the weather was bad, very gray and dismal and the colors were washed out so I did do some color editing in iMovie. I'm sure I overdid some of the saturations etc. but I like it. Also I took lots of shots where I went from shooting straight down to the ground about 100-200 ft. away to shooting forward several miles and if you forget to refocus the image can be soft. You'll see a mix of sharp and soft shots in this video and every soft shot is a failure of your friendly pilot to click the focus button on the back of the controller, sorry still getting used to remembering to do that. As I showed the other day on my better lit video, this camera IMHO is every bit as sharp as the Phantom 4 when focused properly and in fact can be sharper with closer subjects than the Phantom 4 can be... the problem is that it isn't as user friendly. I wish there was a true autofocus feature that was constantly adjusting focus like many video cameras have. Perhaps with a firmware bump or on the Mavic 2?
[size=14.666666984558105px]
Please select 4k if you have a good enough monitor and remember this is compressed YouTube video, the real video out of the camera looks better...

2016-11-2
Use props
danieleforyou
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154820 ft
Iceland

Wow! Beautiful images, location, soundtrack and editing. Congrats!
2016-11-2
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Love it! Great timing with your soundtrack. Only saw one shot where the blues were way oversaturated (straight down over bridge/river), spot on for the rest! My favorite scene was when you were facing down then panned up to track a car around the :23 mark.
2016-11-2
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
  • >>>

Zatx Posted at 2016-11-3 03:30
Love it! Great timing with your soundtrack. Only saw one shot where the blues were way oversaturated ...

thanks, blind luck. that was all filmed on a single battery and is like my 3rd "real" flight (other than a couple 1 minute hops) I think I have a total of 1:08 on my Mavic now.

I'm an airline pilot and this is my first drone, I plan on taking this with me on trips and filming a bunch of places.
2016-11-2
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The right side of video is not in focus for much of the video.

Pause the video @1:12 and compare the houses on the left to the right.
2016-11-2
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
  • >>>

I do see what you mean. In several scenes where it appears stuff is the same distance on the left and right side of the frame sometimes the right is softer. I checked the video I did in bright sunlight the day before and it looks pretty sharp on both sides. There is no visible smudge or something on the lens so not sure what is going on. I'll keep my eye on it and report back but I'm still happy, I love the drone and the image quality feels good to me. The vast, vast majority of softer images you see in this video are me not hitting the focus button after switching from close to far scenes and I didn't apply and extra sharpening to this image either.
2016-11-2
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
  • >>>

The more I look at it now the more it looks like there is a vertical band of haze on the right side of the image that is pretty distinictive and makes it look very soft on the right. Looking at images the day before and now looking at images just shot I don't see it. I wonder if this was some kind of condensation? It wasn't foggy but it was very humid and "wet" out this morning. I've heard others with the Mavic have had condensation issues. The weather will be much better tomorrow and the next day and I plan on shooting more things before leaving soon with the Mavic for the Caribbean.
2016-11-2
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

Great vid - Thanks for sharing
2016-11-2
Use props
0sarc0
lvl.2

Australia

Really good video. Can't wait for more.
2016-11-2
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

boldblue737 Posted at 2016-11-2 17:27
The more I look at it now the more it looks like there is a vertical band of haze on the right side  ...

Please report back after your filming trip to the Caribbean. I'm getting the Mavik to document mission efforts in Haiti and the Dominican Republic and I'd love to see how it holds up in those humid conditions. Since you're a pilot I've got a question about airport security. Do you think we'll have issues taking these as carry-on items? I don't see any attributes as being prohibited on a plane, but airport security screeners don't cope well with new "scary-looking" objects.
2016-11-3
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

Zatx Posted at 2016-11-3 08:12
Please report back after your filming trip to the Caribbean. I'm getting the Mavik to document miss ...

I used to take my p3 in a backpack all the time. I had 3 batteries. most of the tsa know its a drone. batteries show up black like a bomb, plus all the electronics. I cant wait for this one. no more big backpack. fit perfect in my carry on roller.
2016-11-3
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
  • >>>

Zatx Posted at 2016-11-3 20:12
Please report back after your filming trip to the Caribbean. I'm getting the Mavik to document miss ...

They are allowed in carry-ons (in fact you MUST take lithium batteries in carry-ons, you can not put them in checked luggage) but you should look into the individual drone laws for each country you are traveling to. For Antigua where I am heading they have no firm laws aside from the similar to the US laws of "no higher than 400 ft, not over people".

I fully intend to carry this drone with my very frequently at work although my biggest limitation is quite often our hotels are near major airports where you can't fly... although in more scenic areas it might be worth grabbing an Uber to the mountains and trails or the beach for some hiking and drone flying.
2016-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules