Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Scary disconnect experiece
1054 13 2016-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1315b682
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7549 ft
United States

Scariest experience to data, thought I had lost the bird.  Had it about 3000' away and coming back my way when everything suddenly disconnects.  Cannot use any features of the DJI app on my iPad air that has never given me problems.  I've had some tense moments in the past, so I know enought not to panic and to think things through.  I press and hold RTH button on the remote.  Nothing.  No blinking white light.   I'm afraid to close the app.  Should be noted that I'm not on wifi and there is no cached map.  I do see the birds heading in the lower right corner of the screen.  It seems to be moving.  After the initial disconnect I made sure not to move the bird.  I think I should be still pointed towards home.  I can hear nothing, I'm all alone on a hillside overlooking a medium sized lake.  No noise.  I push the stick forward to hopefully move the bird in my direction.  I hear a very, very faint buzzing.  Its getting louder! Yes!  I finally spot it and bring it to me for an immediete manual landing.  App never reconnected.  I was happy to have it backed and not in the mood to troubleshoot at this locale.  I know I need to update firmware but thats been pending for months with no issues.  WTH.  
I thought for sure the bird was gone.  Was shocked to get it back.  Have no idea what went wrong!  That's the hardest part.
2016-11-3
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

I had a similar experience, I had my drone out over 2 miles when my app crashed. I flipped the S2 switch a couple of times, I heard the beeping sound, and then it quit. I flipped it again, and it started beeping again. I eventually got the Litchi app going again, and saw that my bird was on its way back. I test my RTH every once in a while by just shutting everything off, waiting a few secs and she just starts to fly back. I wonder if you had just shut your TX off if it would have just come back? Are all of your settings right? Is it set to hover instead of RTH? After viewing the footage, when the app crashed, I see myself stopping the forward motion and activating the RTH. Why the beeping stopped I have no idea, it just kept coming home.
2016-11-3
Use props
fans1315b682
lvl.2
United States

Good ideas.  I'm going to have to test the RTH functions in a safe environment.  I'm a bit fuzzy on the particulars of the RTH and the failsafe RTH functions.  So I'm curious to shut off the TX and see what happens.  Damn, that would be nervewracking to do with the bird out of sight, sort of a last attempt at salvage.  I did have video running so I'll look at the footage and the log data.
2016-11-3
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.3
United States

fans1315b682 Posted at 2016-11-3 23:40
Good ideas.  I'm going to have to test the RTH functions in a safe environment.  I'm a bit fuzzy on  ...

Yeah it's a bit scary. Just take it out to like a hundred yards or so, and just shut the TX down. It should activate the RTH function. Once it does you can just turn it back on. Even if you just shut it down for like 10 secs. Just make sure and check your settings and see if you have it set to RTH in the signal loss section.
2016-11-3
Use props
kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

fans1315b682 Posted at 2016-11-3 11:40
Good ideas.  I'm going to have to test the RTH functions in a safe environment.  I'm a bit fuzzy on  ...

what happens is programmed by YOU in DJI GO app

the altitude it returns at .
smart return to home--on or off.
low battery  --land or RTH
etc...

and so on.

also you simply need to press and hold the RTH button on RC for a few seconds to enable the RTH

lots of youtube videos showing and explaining the fine details
well worth googling

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-11-3
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

Was the Disconnected Red? Was the RC light Red?  If grey, then re-connect the USB cable.  If still grey, restart device.

If Disconnect is RED, or RC light is Red, then what I would do (because I had this experience too);

Turn off app and turn app back on.  See if it re-connects.

If not, then turn off RC and turn it back on.  See if the RC light is green and if you can re-connect.

If you see the red triangle move towards you, then bring it back manually.  I would not do RTH at that point. What if the craft had some compass issue, then you never know where it may fly to.  I only used RTH once so far, and I have experienced some "interesting" scenarios flying miles away, and many times over water.
2016-11-3
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.3
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-11-4 06:10
Was the Disconnected Red? Was the RC light Red?  If grey, then re-connect the USB cable.  If still g ...

I use RTH all of the time with no issues. Sometimes I just see how far away I can go, knowing it will just com back.
2016-11-3
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 12555000 ft
United States

which phantoim? I have learned to pay attention to whether my rc led is red or green... if green i know i still got control, if red it will RTH, provided the app says "RTH on lost signal" - if u say "Hover on singal loss", then even if led is red, u got to move closer and take control... i only use that if flying around power lines or places where there may be something above, or i may not clear obstalces....
Anyhow, never had RTH button not work for me.. Weird!
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

To clarify, what Phantom model do you have? What version of the DJI Go app are you running? Was the disconnect behave like any of the instances MD_Icarus provided on post #6?
2016-11-4
Use props
fans1315b682
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-4 22:59
To clarify, what Phantom model do you have? What version of the DJI Go app are you running? Was the  ...

The Go App was up to date, although the firmware on RC and bird was still on 1.08 I believe.

I cannot recall the color of the lights as I was a bit unnerved at the situation.  I would say RED though.  Can't say i've ever seen gray.
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans1315b682 Posted at 2016-11-30 02:57
The Go App was up to date, although the firmware on RC and bird was still on 1.08 I believe.

I ca ...

And which Phantom 3 model do you have? Has it done it again since?
2016-11-30
Use props
fans1315b682
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-1 03:21
And which Phantom 3 model do you have? Has it done it again since?

I have the P3A.  After it occurred I pulled the flight log to look for any helpful info.  I then proceed to update the bird and controller to the latest firmware.  Has not happened to me since, I have not flown much since and certainly not that far away...
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fans1315b682 Posted at 2016-12-2 01:50
I have the P3A.  After it occurred I pulled the flight log to look for any helpful info.  I then p ...

It's good to hear that it has not reappeared. Please let us know if it disconnects in that manner again. You always have the option to send the unit to DJI for further evaluation if needed,
2016-12-1
Use props
KiwiTrev
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20463 ft
New Zealand

I had a very similar experience directly after updating my Remote Controller to v1.8.0.
It's NEVER happened before so it's more than likely related to the update. I ignored the update message for a few weeks, could fly as far as I wanted and no signal loss events at all as per normal.
Have never had a problem and been flying this P3P for over a year now.
First flight after updating to this firmware I got out to about 700m distance at around 100m up then my screen suddenly has 'signal loss' come up in red at top and then screen blacked out all of a sudden (ipad air 2 with up to date app)
I hit RTH and after a few scary seconds screen came back and she was heading home.
I used to be able to fly 2km at least and have never had any form of signal loss like this. I have had weak transmission now and then and flickering of screen but nothing at all like this event.
Got home and downgraded the controller back to previous firmware. I am yet to test if she's back to normal...fingers crossed! I will not update to the latest v1.10.90 (29/11/16) for the aircraft till I test if she's ok and even then I think I will hold off for a while as per normal as we all know there can be issues with new firmware.
It would be nice to have guarantees that firmware will be fine but it seems like it's always a hit and miss operation if someone's going to get struck with a glitch at some point.
I am way over warranty period, if it crashed because of a lost signal due to a firmware issue am I covered? I think not...
2016-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules