dlog color stills
1364 7 2016-11-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7f50ea61
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133944 ft

I recently discovered the benefits in color quality of using the DJI Transcoding tool on the video files I shoot with the X3 camera on the Inspire 1.

I am not yet happy with the stills I've been getting when the camera is set to dlog color. I have a few issues.... the exposure changes when switching between video and stills. The color changes as well.

Is there a "stills dlog converter" I should be using prior to LR/ACR? Sorry for the ignorant question. I'm also considering using a different color profile if my priority for the flight is stills and not video capture.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Eric Rudd
2016-11-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you happen to provide a sample of what you're receiving thus far?
2016-11-3
Use props
fans7f50ea61
lvl.2

Sure thing, although, I'm not sure the best way to demonstrate this without uploading the files. But here is a screen grab of a dng still photo and a .mov file taken one after the other. All I did was switch between a still photo and video capture on the Inspire 1. The left frame is the still photo and right frame is the preview of the .mov file. These are being displayed using Photo Mechanic, a color-managed image viewer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Tg/view?usp=sharing

And here is the still image, the log file from the camera, and the same log file converted using the DJI transcoder.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 0k/view?usp=sharing

Every time I switch to the still image mode from the video mode, there is a drop in exposure, and a change in the color. Just wondering how I should adapt my post workflow, if any.
2016-11-4
Use props
fans7f50ea61
lvl.2

There may not be anything "wrong" per se. The dng with the log color profile just looks like a flat, RAW file. But I would think it would match the video color more closely.  

It would be nice if DJI would do a firmware update on the Inspire so that the "record" button beneath the left index finger would take a photo when in still mode (shutter release), and NOT switch to video record when pushed.
2016-11-4
Use props
Jkeller84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans7f50ea61 Posted at 2016-11-4 12:41
There may not be anything "wrong" per se. The dng with the log color profile just looks like a flat, ...

The button under your right index finger is what takes pictures.
2016-11-4
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

fans7f50ea61 Posted at 2016-11-4 16:41
There may not be anything "wrong" per se. The dng with the log color profile just looks like a flat, ...

Have you read the manual?
2016-11-6
Use props
fans7f50ea61
lvl.2

Sorry, Jkeller, my bad. Thank you.

Mark Guille, can I expect you to always be so encouraging?
2016-11-7
Use props
Eric Rudd
lvl.2

Back to my question about camera color profiles, I'm not finding any way to access the DJI color profiles from within the dng. I'm using the latest Lightroom and PS and neither allow for changing them. I'm assuming that's because Adobe hasn't put the Inspire 1's camera in ACR.

I CAN strip out the embedded jpg from the dng by using Photo Mechanic, for example. If I like their "Vivid" profile for instance, I would have to strip out the jpg in order to create that exact look.

I was just hoping for a way to take advantage of the color profiles in RAW. Oh well.
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules