Twice, flip over and crash
2075 25 2015-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

hi all,

I've only flown my Phantom 2 (non-vision) seven times and twice for no apparent reason it has just flipped over and crashed on two separate flights. I have a buddy with me who has been flying for quite sometime and he too is bewildered as to why this has happened. IT happened in the default set up from DJI and happened again today after I changed to NAZA set up. Both times the S1 and S2 switches was in GPS and HL.

Any idea why this could be occurring?
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Hi Jay,

just to clarify, the phantom mode has no HL.
Please be more specific with your issue. Were you hovering when it happend? Any other abnormal behaviour? Good compass calibration? Stock props? Anything else that might be important for us to know.
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

It happened in both Phantom mode and NAZA mode. I don't think I was doing anything abnormal. I was just trying to learn how to sway sideways over a 5 meter span and just poof...just flipped over. Both times I was only 5 feet high.  Should I put back in phantom mode until I gain more experience?

Again thanks for any advice
2015-2-6
Use props
swomilan.hotmai
lvl.4

Mexico

What firmware version are you running?
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

3.08 and its says latest version
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:04
It happened in both Phantom mode and NAZA mode. I don't think I was doing anything abnormal. I was j ...

Understood.  Unless you are in Manual mode, Phantom working mode or NAZA-M working mode would not behave that much differently.

1.  What firmware version are you on with the MC (Master Controller) in Phantom/Vision Assistant?

2.  What is (was) your rear LED light status at takeoff?
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

Excuse my ignorance on the MC question. Not sure where to look for that info.
As to rear lights while I was on Phantom mode the lights stay green. When in NAZA they blink green all of the time. The blinking had me worried.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I would suspect a faulty esc or motor. Perhaps also callibrate the IMU. Like Jamie stated, the mode you are in (phantom or naza) doesn't explain your issue. Naza mode gives your more possibilities to recover, for example if you lose orientation. I would stick to naza mode.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:21
As to rear lights whil ...

The LED indicators are different in phantom and naza mode. The green blinking in naza is correct, no issue there.
2015-2-6
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Hi, your lights should be blinking green if you have allowed a home point to be established, have enough sats and you have calibrated your compass at the take off site. This is a correct light show.
Rod
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

Thank you for all your help, I was pretty much in the dumps about my Phantom. I'm feeling much better. I am thinking I may be throttlling down and causing it to nose dive. A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and jumping in to help.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

MC (Master Controller) is version 3.08 per your previous post.

If in NAZA -M working mode, and the right switch, S1, is at the top position (GPS mode) your rear lights should flash steady green after 7 or more sats are being received.  I just wanted to make sure of the flight mode you were in.

During your hovering and sliding right to left, were the motors sounding pretty much in unison, or was there a lot of difference in the sound like maybe a motor was under or over revving?

Have you ever tipped it over and had a prop strike, or had a significant prop strike otherwise?

2015-2-6
Use props
khamblinsr.gmai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75223 ft
United States

Are you using after market props. Don't! 2. Likely you are using both sticks to shut down your motors. Dont! Use left stick by pulling down and holding for two sec.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:34
Thank you for all your help, I was pretty much in the dumps about my Phantom. I'm feeling much bette ...

a nose dive and a flip are two different things. Which was it now?
2015-2-6
Use props
khamblinsr.gmai
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75223 ft
United States

If you are flying with prop guards you might consider removing them.
Use only the left stick to stop motors - pull all the way back and hold for two
Seconds.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:34
Thank you for all your help, I was pretty much in the dumps about my Phantom. I'm feeling much bette ...

That might be a good possibility.  I hope that's it.

There is a lot to learn.  Take your time and practice maneuvers.

Set a plan for every flight, and fly your plan.

Jamie
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

Hi Jamie,

I did break a prop but it wasn't any hard hit, more of a take off tip over. The motors all sounded pretty much even as I recall. Getting back to the tip over with prop strike... What can that do, seemed pretty innocent at the time.
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:42
Hi Jamie,

I did break a prop but it wasn't any hard hit, more of a take off tip over. The motors al ...

Well, it's hard on the electrics, and there is some possibility of causing damage to the ESC if severe enough.

But if it's flying and will hover stable, you should be okay.  Usually they work or they don't.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

A prop strike can blow your ESC (the controller for the motor) or damage a motor.
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-2-7 07:44
Well, it's hard on the electrics, and there is some possibility of causing damage to the ESC if se ...

She hovers fine. I no longer take off or land on the ground. I catch and release by hand now.
Thanks for all your help.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Just be very carefull with that. I don't wanna read your next post "How do I remove props from my cheek"

Enjoy flying
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

markus2015 Posted at 2015-2-7 07:38
a nose dive and a flip are two different things. Which was it now?

I'm sorry, it happened so fast it's hard to say. I think flip because both times she was upside down.
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

markus2015 Posted at 2015-2-7 07:52
Just be very carefull with that. I don't wanna read your next post "How do I remove props from my ch ...

The embarrassment would stop me from posting that question. Lol
2015-2-6
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:48
She hovers fine. I no longer take off or land on the ground. I catch and release by hand now.
Tha ...

Landing and taking off are part of the maneuvers.  It come easy after a bit.  You can't baby it taking off, and when you set it down, you've got to set it down.
2015-2-6
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

JayOliver Posted at 2015-2-7 07:54
I'm sorry, it happened so fast it's hard to say. I think flip because both times she was upside do ...

Yeah, sometimes things just happen to quickly. I suggest that you get some altitude on a wide open area to train yourself. Just take your time, get to know the quad and have fun.
2015-2-6
Use props
JayOliver
lvl.1

Germany

I been learning that. On take off, throttled wide open and when landing, don't be trying to hover and land like your scared to break fine china.  
2015-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules