Another Possible Sticky Left Stick Crash
4965 55 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leostark
lvl.2

Australia

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-11-7 13:18
Yes we do but mainly if you are using it for commercial use. I request a couple of quotes but I be ...

yeah that really sucks I guess it'll also be likely that you need to have CASA RPC, that is ridiculously expensive{:4_154:}
2016-11-6
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-11-7 14:59
Of course DJI care refresh is available in Australia... but it cost $169.00

I don't know why I thought I read that it wasn't available in Australia. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess it's a bit late for me, though :-(
2016-11-6
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-11-7 15:54
I don't know why I thought I read that it wasn't available in Australia. Thanks for pointing that  ...

It wasn't available to Start with. And they made it available shortly after release.
You had only 48h after activation to order it. so yes unfortunately a little bit late.
2016-11-6
Use props
stevejnz
lvl.2

New Zealand

If you have household insurance Jason,
give them a call as it could be covered under accidental damage as it flew away and had an accident outside of your control..
Mine is covered here in NZ for that, even a flyaway complete loss
2016-11-6
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-6 06:48
Sorry for your crash, please contact DJI support to have your aircraft/RC sent in.
Also what is your ...

Ken, you mentioned some software that you would send me for downloading the full RC logs. Can you still send them to me? I'd like to download them before sending the Mavic to the service center. Thanks. (Preferably a Mac version, but Windows would also do)
2016-11-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-11-7 17:13
It wasn't available to Start with. And they made it available shortly after release.
You had only  ...

I really wish that had been made clear to me when I received my Mavic...
2016-11-7
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

stevejnz Posted at 2016-11-7 14:21
If you have household insurance Jason,
give them a call as it could be covered under accidental dam ...

Hi. I'm in NZ. Is it a specific contents insurance you have to use to have this cover and do you have to listed the drone specifically?
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-11-7 19:31
Ken, you mentioned some software that you would send me for downloading the full RC logs. Can you  ...

What is your email and I will email you the RC log file. This accident may end up being pilot error. You were flying nose in and could it have been possible that since it was nighttime that you got dos-orientated ?
Anyways, the flight data recorder from the aircraft will be able to tell for sure.
And sorry about the crash, to be honest two mistakes were made. You should never take off without GPS lock and no GPS lock and flying at night should not be done.
2016-11-7
Use props
stevejnz
lvl.2

New Zealand

ENG101 Posted at 2016-11-8 00:45
Hi. I'm in NZ. Is it a specific contents insurance you have to use to have this cover and do you h ...

its just the standard contents insurance with aa insurance..
only if the value is more than $2000 you have to list it..
2016-11-7
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

stevejnz Posted at 2016-11-8 06:14
its just the standard contents insurance with aa insurance..
only if the value is more than $2000 y ...

Thanks. Just looking at the contents policy on their website https://www.aainsurance.co.nz/AA ... I_HCONT_V1_1509.pdf

On p.20 it specifically calls out a limit of $1000 cover for Remote Controlled Aircraft.
2016-11-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-8 02:45
What is your email and I will email you the RC log file. This accident may end up being pilot erro ...

I admit, I may have underestimated the risk of flying at night (and without GPS lock), however I don't think I crashed it due to disorientation. As soon as I felt that the drone wasn't doing what I wanted it to do, I released the sticks. At that point the drone continued to make unintended movements, and flew off on it's own at a rapid pace. I'm not insisting that it was a malfunction, but I really don't know. Hopefully the engineering team can figure out the cause of the crash. I've been told that a courier will be sent to collect my drone and controller. Hopefully that will happen soon.

Thanks Ken.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-11-8 09:11
I admit, I may have underestimated the risk of flying at night (and without GPS lock), however I d ...

Jason,
I just reviewed your flight and it looks like pilot error. You said it few erratically and then went to the side. I do not see a stuck left stick, if that would have happened than you would see the stick stuck at a certain %.
If you play back the flight from your GO app flight records and tap the RC icon it brings up the stick movements and %. You can see that the aircraft probably did exactly what your stick movements did.
It was night time and you were nose in, very easy to lose orientation.
If you would have had GPS lock before you took off then you could have let go and the aircraft would have stayed put where it was at. But you took of in ATTI mode and it never got a chance to acquire enough satellites to get GPS lock so it would jus drift in the wind.
I will email you the RC download tool and you get upload the RC logs to Dropbox as well as the DAT log and provide the link in your ticket/case#.

Also, do you have a Yahoo or Gmail, your email is bouncing back. If you don't have one, just create one.
2016-11-7
Use props
stevejnz
lvl.2

New Zealand

ENG101 Posted at 2016-11-8 08:20
Thanks. Just looking at the contents policy on their website https://www.aainsurance.co.nz/AAI_Int ...

Thanks for that, They told me $2000 over the phone but as you say it states $1000 in the policy..
2016-11-7
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-8 16:06
Jason,
I just reviewed your flight and it looks like pilot error. You said it few erratically and  ...

Fair enough. But the log does show 'good' GPS signal for half of the flight. Can a weak or lost GPS signal really cause the drone to fly off that quickly? It was a pretty high speed "drift" if that's what it was. Really took my by surprise. I'm pretty sure there was virtually no wind, either.

2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-11-8 15:19
Fair enough. But the log does show 'good' GPS signal for half of the flight. Can a weak or lost GP ...

Jason, the playback of the flight does not show you had GPS lock at any time during the flight.
Where are you seeing this info. If it's from Healthy Drones then please disregard as a 3rd party website is not able to correctly decode the flight data.So since you never had GPS lock, the aircraft is free to drinft with the wind and it looks like that is what happened. Since ther was no GPS lock, I see you giving 100% input to make the aircraft go backwards. This input without GPS would make the aircraft go backwards really fast and when you let go of the stick the aircraft would still travel in that direction very fast and slowly decrease speed.The same for the 100% left stick input, it would go left very quickly and even though the stick input was only very quick, the aircraft would bank left and travel fast in that direction and slowly decrease it's speed.
Now, if you would have waitind for GPS lock then none of this would have happened, your first indication of a problem was you said you wanted to stop the airccraft to hover so you could adjust the camera. Since it was in ATTI mode, the aircraft never would have stopped and this is when things got worse. The aircraft moved exactly the way it was supposed to move. If it would have had GPS lock then whenever letting go of the sticks it would come to a stop instead of staying in the direction of the stick movement and moving quickly.
I just sent you the RC download tool.
After you understand that it was pilot error, please edit the post title.

2016-11-8
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

Is there a way to tell if the pilot gave the stick inputs or if it was a glitch in the RC that you are reading?
2016-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules