My Mavic just crashed a few minutes ago
11271 109 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

Maverikster Posted at 2016-11-7 17:14
Just as an aside: is it recommended that we put our phones in flight mode whilst connected to the RC ...

I wonder why so much try to explain away the (near) crashes with (faulty) compass calibration.
Reading most of the incident reports that inly ssems to be the icing on the cake but the triggering problem is a combination of:
(very often)
-Sudden loss of GPS even in open spaces
-"Ghost" inputs on left stick
(more rarely but maybe just as its harder to notice)
-Malfunctioning Altiitude Sensor
-VPS "accelerating" due to repetetive texture (common optical flow problem)

NOT talking about the less fatal problems like Gimbal Vibration, lens misalignment, ...

So why is everyboidy so obsessed with the compass, THATS the easy one, every decent Flightcontoller can cope with that more or less gracefully since a long time...

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
CHEOLK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5299 ft
Singapore

My goodness, I am having 2nd thought on buying the Mavic.
My P3 Standard landed and it suddenly shot up and get stuck in the tree branches. Had a hard time getting back.
Now, next time I fly, I better pray to my god. I think hovering is the best thing to do.
2016-11-7
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-6 11:22
Why are there so many crashes with the MAVIC is it an issue with the MAVIC or PILOT error........I w ...

I  am not so sure of this , there are some experienced pilots here that have crashed.  Being a new system there are bound to be bugs , I waited to buy for just this reason ,  I am wondering if this new prop design with the folding blades is causing any problem , if one of the blades sticks it could cause some of the crashes that we have seen.

Most of the time I would agree that a majority are pilot error , but at this point in development , I am not so sure .

donnie   
2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

We can expedite cases globally.  Not just in the US.
2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

2016-11-7
Use props
Heniek W
lvl.2

Canada

GNE8uv8WWHt5 Posted at 2016-11-5 12:50
Man screw this mavic at this point. Is becoming obvious that the mavic isnt close to being safe to f ...

at this point I rather fly Karma ! lol
2016-11-7
Use props
CREVICE22
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1204 ft
United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 12:08

Tahoe,

Here is my case number: CAS-313454-D1Q3T2
2016-11-7
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-6 19:10
Well if look at logs presented you can clearly see there was a problem with compass, it maybe caus ...

If an aircraft is spinning the compass will seem to indicate an error.  That isn't necessarily an error with the compass itself just the compass is reporting constantly changing data as the aircraft is spinning.

Pardon me for asking but exactly what is your expertise with DJI aircraft?  How many do you own?  How many flights do you have under your belt?
2016-11-7
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-11-7 01:22
Why are there so many crashes with the MAVIC is it an issue with the MAVIC or PILOT error........I w ...

Thank you for the incredible body of evidence supporting your hypothesis...
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Shill Slayer Posted at 2016-11-7 17:50
If an aircraft is spinning the compass will seem to indicate an error.  That isn't necessarily an  ...

I am a qualified IAA UMA pilot, I own a P4 , inspire 1, Osmo Zenmuse x 5 , and soon a Mavic.
Now I'm asking you to keep away from me your only out to start trouble,
I won't be answering anymore of your silly questions.

Stop trying to hijack the OP THREAD
2016-11-7
Use props
fanse8b144b6
lvl.1

United States

Would be nice if DJI follows up and let's us know what the problems were  as well.

Also, not saying that this was the problem, but why are people still calibrating their compass when it's not their first flight? Get a good baseline and leave it alone.
2016-11-7
Use props
CREVICE22
lvl.1
United States

fanse8b144b6 Posted at 2016-11-7 13:21
Would be nice if DJI follows up and let's us know what the problems were  as well.

Also, not sayin ...

I calibrate my compass every time, just been a habit since my first phantoms. I always thought it was safer to do it, at least back then it was. Now, maybe not so much?
2016-11-7
Use props
Shill Slayer
lvl.2

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-8 02:11
I am a qualified IAA UMA pilot, I own a P4 , inspire 1, Osmo Zenmuse x 5 , and soon a Mavic.
Now I ...

I asked a simple question.  Testy little chap are you.  Try some Fiber-all.  
2016-11-7
Use props
fanse8b144b6
lvl.1

United States

Definitely don't calibrate the compass every flight. Check out post #97 in the following thread.

http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/32829/

2016-11-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft

Anyone ever consider a simple airdrop? I could disconnect anything on the 2.4ghz wifi frequency with a laptop. Maybe dji should factor that into their code. If you lose connect with the the transmitter, wait for like 30 seconds before returning home and only return home if gps isn't disabled. As a programmer you have to take murphy's law into account otherwise, airdrop> rth with no gps signal> atti mode> incompetent drone pilot with no control (thanks to airdrop) or ability to control a drone even if he/she did.
2016-11-7
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2016-11-8 03:10
Anyone ever consider a simple airdrop? I could disconnect anything on the 2.4ghz wifi frequency with ...

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'airdrop'?
2016-11-7
Use props
chernobylssr
lvl.1

So glad I found this thread, my Mavic crashed this weekend too.

I have an inspire 1 and had a P2 before that so I'm very familiar with DJI and the setup of the drones.

First flight with the Mavic: I calibrated everything just like I would my inspire, took it off from the same spot I have taken off from with my inspire numerous times. I got it hovering about a foot off the ground and started slowing pushing the controls to see how touchy/fast the drone would respond and that’s when I started noticing the problems. I would start to push the left stick to the left, the drone would start to turn, pause, then twitch and start moving on its own - at this point it was not accepting any controls through the controller. Luckily it flew into a chair and flipped over in my backyard.

Wrote the first flight off as a fluke, put on a new prop and tried again - everything flew totally normal.

Took it out again yesterday, this time is a huge field with trees lining the edges. Got it started up and calibrated, everything flew 100% normal for 15-20 minutes. Threw another battery on and decided to go for another flight. This time I moved to a gravel parking lot instead of taking off on the edge of the field. It took 30 seconds to a minute for the IMU to calibrate, went through the rest of the calibration as normal. Took it off and hovered again about 1-2 feet off the ground and it started showing the same symptoms as when I did my initial flight. Unlucky for me, this time it decided to fly straight up and start spinning - during the first few seconds I was trying to counteract everything the drone was doing but realized none of my stick inputs were going through, at this point I stopped trying to correct and tried to kill the motors - to no avail it kept going and went straight into the trees on the edge of the field. It got stuck on a branch and then went 100% power and would not let me do anything. It ended up falling from the tree, into a swamp surrounded by blackberry bushes. I was luckily able to recover it but found the drone submerged in water.

Went back and looked at my flight log, took off with full GPS strength, 16 Satellites, full signal to controller. It never once disconnected from GPS, even after it starting malfunctioning it was connected to GPS. Looked at the stick input on the flight log, it was going nuts - showing 100% input on both sticks bouncing between all directions.
2016-11-7
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

chernobylssr Posted at 2016-11-7 19:56
So glad I found this thread, my Mavic crashed this weekend too.

I have an inspire 1 and had a P2 b ...

WTF now I'm getting really scared
2016-11-7
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2016-11-8 03:51
Sorry, but what do you mean by 'airdrop'?

It's basic hacking tools anyone can use. Well a lot of people anyway. Like airpwn let's you redirect browsers on free wifi, airdrop disconnects all channels and any reconnect is stopped. You can even tailor it so you're the only one who has access to the router. I'll have to try this with the mavic but I'm pretty sure I could make a mavic crash if I saw it overhead.

Yagi > Omnidirectional also. You could probably disconnect the mavic at any altitude. It's part of the aircrack suite. Look up airdrop-ng
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

CREVICE22 Posted at 2016-11-8 01:47
Tahoe,

Here is my case number: CAS-313454-D1Q3T2

Hi, have you already sent it in?
If not, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and send me the link?
You can use the same method as you would for the Phantom 4.
Here is a video tutorial for reference:

2016-11-7
Use props
fansb6bccba3
New

United States

The DJI Mavic may be the case for drones as Samsung Note 7 for smartphones.
In Samsung Note 7 case, at first, one then two Note 7's exploded then a few more caught fire, the world took notice then a formal recall. Yesterday, Samsung issued an apology, after almost two months since releasing Note 7 to compete against Apple. To boldly go, 15% of Note 7 owners still keep using theirs when 85% had been returned.
So far, I read about DJI Mavic crashes while other people flew their Mavic with videos posted on youtube. Luckily, the crashing news didn't say Mavic crashing into any human body to give it a properller haircut or a circular trim of fingernails. Is it safe to fly Mavic if I have it? I do not know. Was DJI rushing to comptete to kill conpetition? I do not know either. I was excited to almost jump on the bandwagon to pre-order one. Now I just wait until everyone says it's OK to fly Mavic to get one.
2016-11-8
Use props
CREVICE22
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-8 01:51
Hi, have you already sent it in?
If not, could you please upload the flight data to dropbox and se ...

@mindy I have already sent in the Mavic to DJI
2016-11-8
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-6 05:50
Is it a good idea to have all the apps shut down on your phone when flying  ?

Yes, always. This is true for any app you are running that you want to have full access to available resources on your phone. Shut down everything you don't need. And turn off auto updates, as those can make your phone lock for seconds at a time.
2016-11-8
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-8 16:18
Yes, always. This is true for any app you are running that you want to have full access to availab ...

Cheers what about receiving a phone call during flights ?
2016-11-8
Use props
fans9697e18d
New
United States

I would recommend not flying the Mavic by any cell towers or other transmitting objects. I am an experienced flyer who has struggled with other drones and connection issues, but I have to say the Mavic is much better than many others. The only thing I can recommend is where you fly and making sure all of the sensors are calibrated and working ok...
2016-11-8
Use props
CREVICE22
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE DJI has responded that my drone (CAS-313454-D1Q3T2) will be repaired under warranty free of charge. Though I am hoping that the Mavic is simply replaced, as the units is not only defected, but the gimbal ripped right off. I will update once I receive the drone, but so far this is good news and support has been good so far. I hope this is them taking a step in the right direction, as all I have heard has been horror stories. None the less, fingers crossed I get a working drone back soon!
2016-11-15
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

Thanks for the update. Good news that DJI would cover it under warranty for hardware/software issue that cause a crash.
2016-11-15
Use props
fans9697e18d
New
United States

Hey buddy, that sucks to hear, the Mavic drones are truly pretty good but they do have plenty of issues. The only thing I can think of that may have happened, is one of the props were messed up or a motor was damaged...
2017-1-13
Use props
fans83d82447
New

My Mavic Pro started first ascending on its own about a week ago the only thing that work was putting left stick all the way down to land know my camera and gimbal don’t work and it’s not telling me that anything is wrong I won’t fly it I have not crashed it ether I have been lucky to be low at the time I fly my inspire 1 for know
2018-7-25
Use props
fans83d82447
New

My Mavic Pro has been acting wacky to about a week ago it started I took off and it kept going up on its own the only way to stop it was to left stick all the way down to make it land it wouldn’t respond to anything else and yesterday when I tried to fly it did the same and later I tried again and know the camera and gimbal is not working know I will not fly again until it is figured out I have been lucky and have not crashed I have other drones to fly but love the mavic hope they can fix the problem
2018-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules