Erratic mavic. Loss of GPS. Jerky motion.
1770 9 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

Finally finally I too can say my mavic is acting strange. So many reports of strange behavior or crashes I figured damn I'm so lucky to have a good one. I've flown it a week now no issues at all. Terrific. Everything had worked. Except today. I went downtown to an old church to get some tripod footage of the gardens and some orbiting shots of the steeples. Everything went well except when I rose above the steeple, I started circling as planned then on the opposite of it, I noticed the GPS number of Satellites went from 17 to 6 and a yellow bar came up instead of green. I noticed extreme drift with that, suddenly the Mavic was drifting keft right forward backward whichever it wanted with the wind as you'd expect withiut gps. (Note: I had just calibrated compass twice on the ground in the grass with success, before any flying at all.)
After it began drifting I decided oh my Jesus, I better land it. I switched to downward camera facing to make sure nothing was in my path of descent. As I descended it was OK, but started shaking my extremely rigidly, very short harsh movements like an earthquake from my view in my phone until i landed it. It was all white scary. I turned everything off. Back on, and did some low flights and everything was fine.

DJI, this is scary. I've never had an issue flying my phantoms or other drones, nothing like this. I thought this was just everyone else's issue. Now it's mine too. God I love this thing. But damn I'm scared of it.
2016-11-5
Use props
fansdbd8d111
lvl.2

United States

I've also been flying mine for about week and a half with no issues whatsoever , but last 2 flights when hovering I've noticed a strange jerking motion.... I calibrated and then checked again and hovering is still jerky. Flys fine and all ...
2016-11-5
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft

Why do you guys keep calibrating your compass? I know you are flying from a different location (downtown) now but did the app prompted you to calibrate the compass? Per the manual you will only have to calibrate when the app told you to do so. The app only promptes me to do it after firmware update and before taking off on my first flight. I've brought my Mavic about 15 miles away to fly it by the beac but it never told me to calibrate. 18 flights so far with no issue. Knock on wood. I'm convinced however that these issues are all compass related and something gets messed up accordingly.

One experience I had last month while in downtown Chicago... I was using Google Maps in my Samsung S7 Edge to find the nearest 7-11 store (I was walking) but Google Maps kept rotating and the waypoint towards the store kept changing.
2016-11-5
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

And I guess you were not recording video when it happened? I find it funny that noone was recording footage when it all happens.

But to say, nothing seems odd here, loss of GPS and drifting is normal. The only thing is when landing, it might be jerking. Depends how strong the winds were at that time.

You should be prepared any time to fly without gps and seems you paniced because you are not used to fly without GPS.

The only issue, as said, might be right before the landing. Send in flight data to DJI for analysis.
2016-11-5
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

JFXMedia, what you are describing maybe the result of flying next to the steeple.  Was it metallic?  Did it have a transmitter antenna inside?  Your descent was a rapid one, correct?  If so you are descending in dirty air and that will cause the craft to become unstable.  I will report your issue.  If necessary we will contact you for your flight data.  Try flying in a open area to confirm if it was location or another issue.  Thank you.
2016-11-5
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

Nees Posted at 2016-11-6 06:28
And I guess you were not recording video when it happened? I find it funny that noone was recording  ...

Yea I've trained on gps-less quads. I consider myself very proficient. I panicked just due to  too much reading of the bad reports. I did gain control of it. Also yes I do have the video of it. I'll upload it tonight. I also was recording whilenit shook I'll show both.
2016-11-5
Use props
JFXMedia
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-6 06:49
JFXMedia, what you are describing maybe the result of flying next to the steeple.  Was it metallic?  ...

You may be right. I was flying near it and it is all metal. However my second attempt was fine no issues. There was also another Guy flying his phantom around the church. But he had moved about half a mile away when I took off. Very odd. I'll report if any more issues. Besides this I'm honestly very pleased with the drone. It is odd though that under 13 gps satellites it seems to drift a lot. But with the phantom 3 I could have 8-10 and it was rock solid.
2016-11-5
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

JFXMedia Posted at 2016-11-5 15:53
Yea I've trained on gps-less quads. I consider myself very proficient. I panicked just due to  too ...

We will be looking forward to it.
2016-11-5
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Hong Kong

Ed, could you check if the suggestion for manual ATTI switch will be implemented?  

In such cases, being able to switch over to ATTI/manual mode would definitely be a much better option than trying to manually overcome a badly calibrated compass..
2016-11-5
Use props
Str8nUpNFlyRigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222867 ft
Germany

[subscribed]
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules