Newbie living and flying p3s in mountainous area
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony S.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50883 ft
United States

Hi All. I've had my p3s about a week now and am leaarning a lot. I've already figured out and bought Litchi for the waypoint features. Love it. Ordered a hood for my Galaxy S5. Can barely see anything in the sun. That kinda stinks. Hopefully that will help for FPV flying. Wold like to do a lot more of that.

My biggest question right now is, when setting waypoints in my mountainous area, when does the bird climb? What I mean is, let's say my first waypoint has a modest rise, say from 0ft to 30ft and I set the waypoint altitude to 50ft. Will my p3s maintain 50ft over the rise starting at 50ft and ending up at 80ft? Or, will it fly horizontally ending at 20ft altitude?

Also, when I need my p3s to rise say 100ft before continuing on to the next waypoint to clear some trees, do I figure that in the previous waypoint setting or the new one. I guess what I'm asking is how do I tell it when to rise?
2016-11-5
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Not sure I understood your question.  You said your first waypoint rises from 0 feet to 30 feet.  But if you set your first waypoint altitude to 50 feet,  then your first waypoint will be at 50 feet.  However,  the thing to remember is, altitudes are referenced from the home point which is normally 0 feet above the ground.  Not above sea level. Above the ground.   
If you set a waypoint at 50 feet and the next at 100 feet, the Phantom will do a gradual climb at as steep as it needs to reach the 100 feet by the time it is in the horizontal position of the waypoint.  At least mine seems to. If you set the second waypoint exactly 50 feet above the first waypoint with no horizontal movement,  the Phantom will climb straight up.  You can not set the waypoints too close together, but I don't remember the distance you have to have in separation.  The app will let you know if its too close.
If you have a concern about it, just insert another waypoint in between so it will climb steeper.  Just bear in mind the Phantoms max possible climb rate and descent rate for settings. When I have obstacles in the flight path, I like to have the Phantom at the proper altitude a bit early, so I set the waypoints accordingly.  The altitude is not dead accurate, so the best way is to fly the course first and manually set the waypoints during the flight, as the map elevations are off a bit, and things like power lines don't show up on the map very well.  A power line cost me a camera on my Phantom once.  But be aware, if you have a waypoint 100 feet away,  and there is an obstacle 50 feet away that is high enough that you have to increase altitude  to pass over it before you reach the desired waypoint, that is a good place for an extra waypoint to ensure you clear all obstacles.
I hope I explained what I was trying to say well enough to understand.  My brain is a bit fuzzy right now.

For 25 bucks you can get a VRBox on ebay that fits your S5. That gives you fpv goggle view and lets you tilt the camera with a tilt of your head.  You can program one of the buttons on the back of the controller to switch between goggle view and follow view.   Way better than a sunshade
2016-11-5
Use props
Tony S.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50883 ft
United States

Thanks. Adding an extra waypoint to climb in steep areas makes a lot of sense.

Forgive the dumb questions. You mentioned buttons on the back of controller. My p3s controller has buttons on the front. Are you saying program one of them? And what's the difference between goggle view and follow view.
2016-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules