Mavic / RC firmware - pilots with issues
2229 15 2016-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joachimb
lvl.3

Australia

Hi,
I've yet to fly my Mavic - waiting to see if there are any firmware issues. Especially since reading that you must recover mavic to claim on DJI Care.

My current firmware is:
iOS App - 3.0.2
Mavic 01.02.0810 (dated 2016-10-23 on DJI Assistant Software, PC)
RC - 01.02.0810 (yes both RC and Mavic heve the same version number)

I've had my Fly More Combo for 4 days. When I first started it there was an update that I could install, Mavic I am almost certain.
Also "inconsitent software" for battery updates.

My question to pilots with fly away or out-of-control occurances, is this the firmware that you have been using?
If so, I would rather wait for my first Mavic flight untill an update.

I do fly a P4 regularly, so not a complete newbie.
2016-11-5
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

If I get my Mavic, I'll wait for a solution that gives me enough trust to fly it.
Everybody that turns the mavic on will get a notice for updating, so yes incidents occur with software that is supplied by platform.
It is not even proven that software will repair the "out of control issue", might as well be a hardware related, we and DJI do not know.
As you can see for yourself, they are still in process of getting log data from people.

2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you take the usual precautions for first test flight, open field etc, you shouldn't have a problem there are a lot more out there flying well than not, Mavic also has a huge amount of new flyers, so there not sure if it's pilot error or firmwear issues,  this release is almost carbon copy of P4 release a lot of pilot errors and a few firmwear issues,
If your Mavic malfunctions because of firmwear issue then warranty will cover it..
Good luck
2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-6 12:20
If I get my Mavic, I'll wait for a solution that gives me enough trust to fly it.
Everybody that tur ...

Dji will always be continually testing, beta testing if those problems we are reading about are common with Mavic ,then surely they will also show up in there testing, if there were a serious problem of safety from malfunction, then dji would shut down all aircraft.
What we are seeing here is the same as P4 release many pilot errors , because of huge number of newbies, and maybe some firmwear issues which just like P4 will be sorted quickly,
Don't delay your first test flight but make sure to read recommendations and follow these.
2016-11-6
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

Anoniem Posted at 2016-11-6 13:20
Everybody that tur ...

DJI should ask to ground the Mavic's until they found where's the issue.
There's clearly an issue that is affecting all the units out there, but it doesn't show always at every flight, do you can fly a week in a open field to test that everything is OK, but then find the crazy behavior the 8th day and crash into a tree.
We don't live in a big giant desert.. even if you fly in open field there could be an obstacle far away or a tree and the Mavic can decide by itself to fly into it.
All this is happening because:

1) The Mavic is clearly bugged;
2) DJI decided to not give us a way to take the full control of the drone when something goes crazy (manual switch to ATTI mode);

Every day we have case like this, and when it will be shipped at full speed we will have tons of people with a crashed Mavic:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-70964-1-1.html
2016-11-6
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Ok Hallmark007, I'm fine with your opinion, but I do keep mine if you do not mind
Not with every incident of flying away and being out of control the pilot is a beginner.
Experienced pilots, who also have(own) DJI crafts before the Mavic are saying the same thing, that something is not working as expected.
Some have flown the Mavic 10 times, after that a non controlable fly away occurs.
DJI is even asking some people to send in their Mavic for investigation because it is needed to get real clear information about what is happening.
Well, some things are not being solved with software updates, lets wait for the outcome of investigations.. might be a hardware issue of the controller.
Do not have my Mavic yet, I do not mind waiting longer, it actually gives me the feeling that the Mavic will improve.
In a way I do benefit from this shipping delay I guess, at least that is what I like to think

2016-11-6
Use props
Kuzz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136900 ft

Yes this is the firmware they've been using. But if it's any comfort I've not experienced any issues with mine yet *touch wood*.
And I don't think their drones have actually just flown away, they just lost control and it would spin about and eventually crash nearby to where they are. But if you feel safer waiting and are happy to do so then of course do that, you have every right.

But if you're dying to fly it just go somewhere with lots of open space, and fly in beginner mode so your Mavic can't get away further than 30m from you
2016-11-6
Use props
joachimb
lvl.3

Australia

Kuzz Posted at 2016-11-7 00:49
Yes this is the firmware they've been using. But if it's any comfort I've not experienced any issues ...

Yes, "flying on eggshells", currently.

What worries me is that to use DJI Care you need to be able to recover the drone...
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-6 07:30
If you take the usual precautions for first test flight, open field etc, you shouldn't have a proble ...

I don't know how much you are reading this and other forums, but there are an awful lot of out of control Mavic threads considering not many have shipped yet... Not to say some are not pilot error, but plenty are just spinning out of control or flying off / not responding.
2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-6 23:52
I don't know how much you are reading this and other forums, but there are an awful lot of out of  ...

It's starting to look like there may be some problems , although I haven't heard many that have had any problems flying in an open field ,
Some of the places people are flying certainly new flyers don't give me much confidence,

I think maybe mods need to provide some answers, or reasons weather pilot errors or malfunction owing to aircraft maybe at fault, before this descends into chaos.
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am on the same firmware on both the RC and the AC.  I fly often.  I have not had any issues with my craft and I have been flying mine before the introduction.  As far as the causes of the issues that have been reported, quite a few are new user errors.  Not having the App correctly set up prior to flight.  On loss of signal you need to have the craft RTH at a predetermined altitude.  The altitude needs to be above any obstacles in your flight path.  Remember on RTH it is a straight line, not how you got there.  I see new users taking the Mavic out a mile on their first flights.  Get to know the craft a little before you explore the boundaries.  Set the App up for multiple modes, that way if you loose GPS you can fly in ATTI mode.  If you are new to RC, please use beginner mode.  It will slow the sticks down a little and limit the height and distance.  Set the maximum height at 400' and in general line of sight is about 1500' or less.  Set your limits in the App.  Fly in areas without interference.  Open fields are the best.  Especially for your first flights.  We have done extensive testing this weekend on the claim of magnetic interference to the RC.  We did the tests with a iWatch magnetic strap.  We could not get appreciable deflection with the strap touching the RC.  With the RC being held normally, about 4 cm from the sticks, we saw no effects at all.   If you are having other issues with your RC please contact dji.com/support and we can fix it under warranty.  Remember these are not military spec devices.  Components do fail.  A small percentage, but they do fail.  That is why we offer a warranty.  
2016-11-6
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 15:39
I am on the same firmware on both the RC and the AC.  I fly often.  I have not had any issues with m ...

There is no ATTI switch on the RC. Is there a way to set that mode specifically to fly?
2016-11-8
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you consider the thousands of these that are out in the wild now, there doesn't appear to be a sweeping malfunction.  Many people are reporting zero issues.  Beyond that, this is not new.  This happens at every new product launch with DJI.  If you do nothing but read the forums, you will never fly your drone.  This is specifically designed to be a place people bring there problems - so you will always see problems here.  If you are worried, just go to a big area and don't fly too far away from you.  If you are super paranoid, record yourself flying.  Either way - get out there and fly!!
2016-11-8
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

method007 Posted at 2016-11-8 14:12
If you consider the thousands of these that are out in the wild now, there doesn't appear to be a sw ...

There are thousands of these delivered now? Do you have any info on the backlog? How many have shipped and how many left to fulfill?
2016-11-8
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

ENG101 Posted at 2016-11-9 02:37
There is no ATTI switch on the RC. Is there a way to set that mode specifically to fly?

There is not.
2016-11-8
Use props
uKR2CJ1ZAmoK
lvl.1

I'm relatively new to flying drones but noticed my mavic ascending and descending without command.  Captured it in my flight logs.  Who do I need to forward this issue to? Thanks
2016-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules