Mavic - Water Recovery
2139 6 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

Has anybody used this on their existing quads? Seems small & light enough that it might be worth considering to salvage a Mavic and at least get footage off..

(for those who are impatient, jump to 2:15)

2016-11-6
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>

I have seen these around for a while and they do seem to work.  Its one of those items you hope you never need to use.  
2016-11-6
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
United States

Indeed, I would hope not as well. I don't suspect this would impact the aerodynamic profile of the Mavic much.. Just trying to figure out where a good place to attach it would be.
2016-11-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2016-11-8 00:42
Indeed, I would hope not as well. I don't suspect this would impact the aerodynamic profile of the M ...

It assumes a couple things... 1) that you are not in water deeper than the fishing line is long, 2) that whatever goes in the water (like a Mavic) will not get snagged on weeds, causing the line to break before you can pull up the item.

In the end, if the Mavic sinks, it's done. The battery is done. The camera and gimbal are done. The SD card is likely done. But... You would be able to save the props!!! And also, if you DID have the protection plan, then you need to retrieve the old unit before you qualify for a replacement.

It's a great idea, if you were to actually use it.
2016-11-7
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
United States

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-8 03:07
It assumes a couple things... 1) that you are not in water deeper than the fishing line is long, 2 ...

I saw a video of a guy who's Phantom went completely in the lake. He went over on a Kayak and was able to pull it out, dry it out with a hair dryer, then it worked the next day.

Unfortunately, protection plans don't cover water damage I would more try to salvage it for spare parts and hopefully a readable SD card.
2016-11-7
Use props
Drseussami
lvl.4
Flight distance : 108002 ft

Go with the State Farm insurance coverage for the water damage. It's a pretty comprehensive policy! Maybe doubling up on the DJI Refresh AND State Farm policies along with the AMA liability insurance is the safe way to go with drones!
2016-11-7
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
United States

Drseussami Posted at 2016-11-8 03:52
Go with the State Farm insurance coverage for the water damage. It's a pretty comprehensive policy!  ...

I already called my Allstate guy. He is consulting with his leadership as to how they would cover this under the Inland Marinepolicies Allstate offers. Will report back when I get pricing details!
2016-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules