12Next >
2784 42 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I mean I've been waiting on this thing since September 27th.   Ordered on September 28th.    There have been scarce shipments made to anyone.   People just a couple days into preorders are still waiting (including me).   

Now we have issues popping up all over the forum.    The same issues.    There can't be a whole heck of a lot of these units in the wild based on the crazy small numbers they have shipped so far.    So yeah...it's alarming that there have been several common-to-each-other issues that are high risk issues pop up all over.    These aren't just annoying live-with-them issues.

The combination of the seemingly completely stalled launch and a fatal flaw that is cropping up is weighing on me.    I'm not even sure I'm excited about this drone anymore.  
2016-11-6
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

I feel the same, but for the videos I've seen, the footage looks good.  You have to wonder how many calibrated the compass properly out of those that stated they had problems, and if they calibrated the IMU or not.
2016-11-6
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-6 16:49
I feel the same, but for the videos I've seen, the footage looks good.  You have to wonder how many  ...

I wondered the same thing, but several of the posts are from people who have owned DJI drones for years.   (at least they say they have).   So if experienced DJI owners are having issues.... where does that leave us?
2016-11-6
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

NomadRT Posted at 2016-11-7 06:58
I wondered the same thing, but several of the posts are from people who have owned DJI drones for ...

Not sure where it leaves us.  But this is different technology. DJI support posted a video from a tech company telling people to do an imu calibration with the p4. But with the Mavic support is telling people not to do an imu calibration. Plus you need a level flat surface for an imu calibration along with the mavic connected to a pc, so if the surface wasn't 100℅ level and flat it could have distorted their calibration.  Plus compass calibration should be done properly.  Also any metal object including phones should not be near the Mavic when calibrating the compass.  This is just info from the manual I read.  In he manual it does not state anything about imu calibration, only if there is an error.
2016-11-6
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

So we are supposed to do a compass calibration but NOT an IMU calibration?
2016-11-6
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

No IMU unless the app asks for it.
2016-11-6
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

Yes i Believe DJI-Ken stated only conduct a compass calibration and not a IMU. I did read that in one of the posts or maybe on RCGroups but it was definitely stated by a DJI employee.
2016-11-6
Use props
Abaco305
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you. Instead I'll just wait! I had my Inspire and Phantom 4 stolen, If I still had them I would cancel and wait...  realizing I'm not going to have it for my trip to CR and there are some troubling issues popping up.  we have no idea the ratio of people who have problems to those who don't because we have no idea how many have been shipped
2016-11-6
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I did read on this forum NOT to do an IMU calibration, I think it was Ed.

Anyway if you perform the IMU calibration does it tell you if it was successful? If so, and it says safe to fly, it's not on the pilot.
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

It does not appear that many of these have shipped based on reviewing the most popular drone forums, youtube, etc.

And yes, three have been quite a lot of threads on here stating issues with new Mavics.

I am personally going to hold off for now until future batches yield better results. I don't want to hurt someone or crash the aircraft. P4 is fine by me for now.
2016-11-6
Use props
0sarc0
lvl.2

Australia

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-7 08:24
It does not appear that many of these have shipped based on reviewing the most popular drone forums, ...

I can tell you no point in waiting. The product is great. Yes, some people are having a bad time but from my experience over the last three days (and this being my first drone) it is great. I took it up in 40khm winds and it performed perfectly. I just have to remember to tap to focus.
2016-11-6
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I also wonder if people are doing the IMU calibration, does it matter if the props are on or off? I recall seeing a video on how to do it and it appears that at one point you have to turn the Mavic upside down and it rests on the props in that particular video.. if you have to have a truly level surface, couldn't the props change the level of the Mavic slightly?
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

0sarc0 Posted at 2016-11-6 19:45
I can tell you no point in waiting. The product is great. Yes, some people are having a bad time b ...

Well, you cant even get one right now... And I am not that interested in rolling the dice on getting a good unit - I am glad you got one though. I had trouble getting a good P4 in the first batches and really don't want to repeat those awful experiences with DJI service.
2016-11-6
Use props
fans75c28221
lvl.1

Keep in mind this is a forum and typically with forums, people go to post about problems and issues they are having. So it seems like you're reading a lot about issues but there are most likely a much much higher percentage of people not having issues.  
2016-11-6
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

fans75c28221 Posted at 2016-11-6 19:47
Keep in mind this is a forum and typically with forums, people go to post about problems and issues  ...

This is true.   It's just the combination of there being absolutely ZERO units available or shipping from anywhere and the problems.    It's like I have this mental depression that I'm waiting all this time to have my drone crash and go through months of repairs/claims with DJI.   

I'm starting to crack.   I'm starting to think I just take the money and get a nice Razer laptop with it or something.
2016-11-6
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Same issues and confusion when the Inspire was announced, was delayed, shipped, had issues, had issues again and then was slowly sorted out.
It's a solid ship now, however nowhere near as quick and responsive as it once was.

This is just the way it is with this industry (not just DJI) - products are rushed to market when they just aren't ready, both from an engineering quality perspective as well as from a manufacturing and logistics perspective.
I will pick up a Mavic - in about 6 months time when they are available off the shelf and the app/firmware issues are sorted out.

The worst thing to do is obsess over an expensive piece of plastic - at the end of the day it's just a toy people!
2016-11-6
Use props
RAVEN7
lvl.2
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-11-6 18:25
This is true.   It's just the combination of there being absolutely ZERO units available or shippi ...

You hold strong dammit! LOL... Don't you give in to all these negative posts. Your gonna get your shipping notice soon and be stoked you waited, Im really looking forward to mine too, hang in there dude.
2016-11-6
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

I have been flying my P3P for over a year now without any issues. For P3P I have been doing a IMU cal anytime I load a new firmware and a compass cal anytime I fly at a new location. I should get my Mavic on Wednesday. I did notice the IMU cal procedure is totally different for the Mavic than the P3P. I wonder if it's because it has dual IMUs?
2016-11-6
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

So should I do a imu calibration out of the box or what ?. If the mavic has travelled in a box been thrown around by shippers and delivery men then don't you think it needs calibration.
2016-11-7
Use props
MavicPro
lvl.2

United States

Excitement wise I feel the same, I was as giddy as a kid at christmas waiting for the mavic... at the start (ordered Sept 28th) and have seriously had that edge taken away with all these horror stories. I've cancelled my Apple order as that was just a joke and have re ordered with £200 off with another retailer that i'm not allowed to mention or I get banned by DJI mods for some bs reason (?!). Anyway hopefully that will be delayed until march when I can actually fly anyway and they sort these "major" bugs and flaws out. I always try to fly in remote places but the fear of crashing into something or someone fills me with absolute horror, the fact DJI arent issuing a product delay or recall just for the "few" incidents that have been reported so far out of a limited number delivered is very very shocking and could be devastating for drone laws etc when someone does get hurt. It feels like its just a matter of time.  
2016-11-7
Use props
Jimbob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6512 ft
United Kingdom

MavicPro Posted at 2016-11-7 09:21
Excitement wise I feel the same, I was as giddy as a kid at christmas waiting for the mavic... at th ...

Sounds exactly the same as what I have just done ;)
2016-11-7
Use props
MavicPro
lvl.2

United States

Jimbob Posted at 2016-11-7 05:53
Sounds exactly the same as what I have just done ;)

It did feel like a weight lifted I must admit. I'm pretty certian the mavic will get sorted one way or another and will become a safe and stable air worthy machine but it doesnt sound like it is atm. I'm amazed DJI havent been ordered to "ground the fleet" until they can prove its completely system safe. But an unstable platform in the hands of hordes of novices flying over motorways and cities as we are seeing now will be the eventual death of this hobby i'm sure. Fingers crossed things improve quickly   
2016-11-7
Use props
QERNFaAUm8d5
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-11-7
Use props
ChuckNBlades
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85489 ft
United States

I ordered the combo early on the 28th direct from DJI and rcvd it Friday.  One thing that was a nice surprise was the free international 2 day shipping.  I don't remember seeing that when I bought from DJI.  Do I blame them for mismanaging this release, yes.  But as a first time DJI owner, I'm pretty impressed with the product so far.

I realize how complex this package of tech is and obviously there have been problems.  But to add balance, I've had very few and none while in the air.  I'm trying to take it slow as this platform seems idiot proof out of the box, but there is a lot to learn.  

I'm a veteran fixed wing RC pilot and I've flown quads for 2 years.  But just because I mentioned my "impressive" resume doesn't mean I know jack about this aircraft.  My quads are either indoor toys or an FPV racer that I haven't touched in a year.  So we consumers should take every negative report with a grain of salt, but I hope DJI is taking them seriously.  

Hang in there Nomad, chances are you'll get your shipment notice soon and you'll have a great time with your Mavic.
2016-11-7
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

QERNFaAUm8d5 Posted at 2016-11-7 12:30
I have end up cancelling my order, opened Paypal case screw DJI I don't want this shit anymore.

That's fine, speak to DJI with your wallet and let them know you mean business. But at least consider pre-ordering the Mavic Pro with a reseller such as Amazon, Jessops, etc who don't charge your account until the order's dispatched. It doesn't matter where it comes from. You just don't want to miss out on this new aircraft from DJI. There's nothing out there quite like it in terms of build quality, size, portability and features. You'll practically fall in love with it as soon as you've got both the drone itself and the remote in your hands. Take it wherever, whenever.
2016-11-7
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

MavicPro Posted at 2016-11-7 09:21
Excitement wise I feel the same, I was as giddy as a kid at christmas waiting for the mavic... at th ...

£200 off? That's a VERY good deal you have got.
2016-11-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

As I stated in another thread, I received an email over the weekend from Drone World talking about the global delays and how no resellers are receiving any units.    Just a few days ago they told me that units were trickling in and that I should get mine shipped in a few days.   I'm not sure what changed.   

Either way -- we are approaching a month past original promised launch and the shipments have come to a grinding halt.    I really want to know if they are stockpiling units so that they can send a sizeable number to every reseller at the end of this month or if their production is so fouled up it will take months to clear.    If it's the former I'll cancel and wait.   If it's the latter I'll likely keep my place in line so that when they DO start filtering out I'll be one of the earlier ones.
2016-11-7
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

I got this email 7 hours ago..... I don't know if it's true but it came directly from DJI.

Anyone else get this email? from Jared (DJI Online Store) <onlinesales@dji.com>

Dear valued customer,
Thank you for contacting DJI online store.
We are pleased to let you know we’ve begun
shipping the first batch of Mavic Pro preorders from Oct 21st. Please check
online for updates on your order status.
Meanwhile, we have received many preorders
since the launch date, so we may not be able to fulfill all preorders for the
moment. You have our sincere apology for this.
We are working round the clock to get the
Mavic Pro in your hands. We would appreciate your patience.
We thank you for showing such enthusiasm
for our technology and look forward to having you flying as soon as possible.
2016-11-7
Use props
MavicPro
lvl.2

United States

Jenkins Posted at 2016-11-7 08:47
£200 off? That's a VERY good deal you have got.

It was a VERY VERY good deal if you ask me!
2016-11-7
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Option 1: If you absolutely MUST have it, order it and ground it or risk the current problems.
Option 2: Wait two, three or four months until all of the current "beta" testers have worked with DJI to get out the kinks then purchase.
2016-11-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Based on the email they sent late last week, I'm right in saying that if I cancel now I'll be waiting longer than 7 or 8 weeks for delivery right?
2016-11-7
Use props
TommyJeep
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50423 ft
  • >>>
United States

I watched one video where the guy turned on the Mavic in his hands at about a 45 degree angle, then kind of walked around before putting it on the ground.  Another video where a guy in Hong Kong did a compass calibration about 18" from a metal railing.  Neither of those videos had flight issues, which shocked me.

My point is, I think there's a massive amount of user error happening.  I'm not saying there isn't hardware or firmware issues with Mavic, I'm saying there is definitely user error causing some of these failures.  As I keep hearing the DJI employees saying RTFM!!! (Read The Freak'n Manual).
2016-11-7
Use props
Abaco305
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316772 ft
  • >>>

NomadRT Posted at 2016-11-7 23:40
Based on the email they sent late last week, I'm right in saying that if I cancel now I'll be waitin ...

Yes, They said they are TRYING to send out the orders before Nov.3 in the next 7 8 weeks. basically wait 2 months if you ordered already and wait ???? if you order now
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyJeep Posted at 2016-11-7 16:19
I watched one video where the guy turned on the Mavic in his hands at about a 45 degree angle, then  ...

Well I haven't heard of one crash where the user , went and done his/her first test flight in an open field as is suggested in Manual and tutorials,
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

NomadRT Posted at 2016-11-7 09:17
I really want to know if they are stockpiling units so that they can send a sizeable number to every reseller at the end of this month or if their production is so fouled up it will take months to clear.

They have a bunch of dissatisfied customers (including the retailers) waiting for units and it only makes sense that these would be getting shipped immediately after being checked off by QC and packaged. I really doubt inventory is being stock piled to any degree at all.
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-7 11:59
Well I haven't heard of one crash where the user , went and done his/her first test flight in an open field as is suggested in Manual and tutorials

So you don't think that any/many of the dozens of mavic owners reporting problems on this forum alone are legitimate problems but just operator error?
2016-11-7
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

What happens when your flying and you get a phone call ?. Sorry but I'm new to flying with a phone for a screen.
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-7 17:25
So you don't think that any/many of the dozens of mavic owners reporting problems on this forum alo ...

Second time you've asked me about this , that reply was to another post,
I don't know but I suspect there are some problems, I've seen similar when P4 was released, much was pilots not used to flying phantoms new and experienced, and some with problems regarding strange fly aways , and a lot of problems with altitude drop, which were ironed out with firmware.
My point is if you go and test your aircraft in an open space away from potential hazards, you can go through the various tests with relative safety, if something goes wrong, then the likelihood of accidents to others or property are much reduced.
You also have the option to keep your Mavic in a box until everything is sorted, bearing in mind people to this day still have some problems with P4.
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-7 12:49
Second time you've asked me about this , that reply was to another post,
I don't know but I suspec ...

On the same page with all of that. I am sure there are a lot of users who didn't even view the manual. DJI could maybe better leverage through their software a better experience for new user accounts. I know they do some of that but it may need tied together better. Hopefully the other issues can be resolved through firmware soon.
2016-11-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

st pauli Posted at 2016-11-7 18:42
On the same page with all of that. I am sure there are a lot of users who didn't even view the man ...

I agree fully , as it stands it's very daunting for new users, I was one myself so I know well, and when you read all that's going on it doesn't help, so yes when these things happen dji could maybe come forward and try to assure newbies and others as to what gives with what's happening.

I always wondered how pole vaulters ever started out in that sport. Lol
2016-11-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules