3rd Flight, Mavic Pro Crashed (Resolved!)
123Next >
9501 90 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question for you, I'm looking at your flight right now and you said the controller was not connected to the drone. If you play back your flight and tap the RC icon you can see that the controller was connected for the  entire duration of the flight. I see your stick movements and the aircraft going the direction of the sticks.

I do see that you took off without GPS lock, then 11 seconds into the flight you got GPS lock and the home point was recorded. Also you got a warning that you were in a Class B Zone.
The total flight was 15:30, you said you tried for 20 minutes to reconnect.
I do see the aircraft flying all over the neighborhood and moving exactly how the stick inputs show it doing. Also taking some photos during the flight.
Then at the 13:10 mark I see you descending (stick shows 100% descent) from 120ft and almost landing on the flat rooftop. I see you moving forwards and backwards along the rooftop (like doing a roof inspection or something).
Then it looks like erratic stick movements while landing as if you were in a panic, then a crash.
You are making it sound like the aircraft hovered for 20 minutes and then the battery died and it came crashing down.
The data shows your battery was at 43% and you have the default (30% warning) so there was no battery issue.
Unless I'm looking at a different flight, (but it's matching up with the your HealthyDrones link) I do not see any kind of malfunction.
Regardless, your aircraft is here and the flight data recorder will give more more detail.
2016-11-9
Use props
jonwitte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214081 ft
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-11-7 10:24
You should open a support ticket so DJI can take a look at your logs. Could help them fix the issu ...

I opened one, still waiting on a response.
2016-11-9
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

jonwitte Posted at 2016-11-9 16:14
I opened one, still waiting on a response.

See Ken's response above
2016-11-9
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-9 11:30
Question for you, I'm looking at your flight right now and you said the controller was not connected ...

So is this pilot error?
2016-11-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

From reviewing the flight record from the GO app I would say yes.
But the aircraft is here and the flight data analysis team will analyze the flight data recorder from the aircraft and they will be able to tell exactly what happened. If the OP could record a video of the flight with the sticks overlayed and post a link then you can judge for yourself.
2016-11-9
Use props
rtazz17
lvl.2

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-7 07:44
Sorry about your crash.  I have to ask, if you knew the battery was dying, and you could see the Mav ...

Yeah why didnt you catch it and slice up the very things you use for every thing in your life.Makes perfect sense.
2016-11-9
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Be interesting to know Ken what the outcome is, if this is pilot error then this thread should be changed because at the moment it makes out the drone was faulty. At least those of us waiting will have piece of mind knowing that these are not drone failures. Also the new firmware from what i can see will fix the other issues we have seen, lets hope!
2016-11-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rtazz17 Posted at 2016-11-9 23:41
Yeah why didnt you catch it and slice up the very things you use for every thing in your life.Make ...

You can catch Mavic out of the air without loosing any digits , might be taking a risk.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D383%26typeid%3D383
2016-11-9
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Hello Ken,

This is not a pilot error I 100% will tell you this, it really did hover for probably 10 minutes and I had no connection, see a more detail response below,

Then at the 13:10 mark I see you descending (stick shows 100% descent) from 120ft and almost landing on the flat rooftop. I see you moving forwards and backwards along the rooftop (like doing a roof inspection or something).

This is where I was checking out the roof and trying to do a shot moving away from it shot. After that I got a disconnection. It was going towards landing at home but it wasn't accurate, missed by probably 10 feet and going to land half on my neighbor roof and half off the roof. (most likely because you said the GPS lock wasn't recorded until later). I was able to successfully reconnect and cancelled the land to home initially. I tried to direct the drone away from my neighbors roof but it no longer would reconnect to my controller.

I tried everything, the remote controller kept saying "Connecting..." and displaying the battery percentage of the remote. Nothing, I constantly pressed it a hundred times the remote power button over and over again. No connection with the same error message "Connecting..." when you first try to power on the remote, doesn't work. I looked at my iPhone, no camera view, no connection, nothing. I was in a panic at this point as I had no control of the drone and it was just flying above my neighbors roof hovering and not moving at all.

I don't know why the DJI Go didn't record this but it's because I had no connection from the drone to my app. That's why you're not seeing it. No connection to remote and DJI App with drone flying still? Means it won't be recorded. After the crash, I put in a new battery and it still wouldn't connect to my remote. That's when I filed the claim and shipped the drone immediately in hopes I can get it back in time for my trip next week, which is looking really slim.

The data shows your battery was at 43% and you have the default (30% warning) so there was no battery issue.

Exactly there was no battery issues. It was just hovering with whatever battery was remaining. I did have a small video I was able to pull of how long exactly it was just floating. I was able to pull the video of the drone just hovering above my neighbors roof from my MicroSD card as it was still recording until the end. I will try to upload it later today when I get off from work.

-

You can see definitely I had bad signal on my drone towards the end on healthy drones, which led to the disconnection with the Mavic Pro to both the controller and iPhone, thus proving why you don't see any more additional data towards the last part. Please check the drone as if I was able to pull a video of the drone hovering, it was not recoded on the DJI App. I was able to record still on the drone footage until the end when the battery died. I can upload that on youtube when I get off work. But this is a lot of work just to prove I didn't crash this drone on purpose. I believe the video of the drone hovering until it's dying % is in my MicroSD card so I will get home and upload that footage for you to see. I don't know how to upload the controls if there was any as the remote control and drone was disconnected. I'll upload straight from the MicroSD card.

I just got the drone, this was my 3rd flight, 4th day owning it, I've been waiting for this since annoucement and me sellling my Phantom 4 immediately. Definitely an unfortunate event for myself. No one wants to go through this after getting a new toy and I've flown drones before, this isn't my first rodeo with one and I didn't crash this on purpose or make any irratic controls with the remote. It was hovering, no connection, and died, landed improperly. I can even ask my neighbors to vouch for me as two adults and their baby in their arms saw the crash. They were scared when it went down and saw it hovered for 10 minutes asking why I wasn't flying it away from their roof.
2016-11-10
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-9 18:08
From reviewing the flight record from the GO app I would say yes.
But the aircraft is here and the  ...

DJI-Ken, if your role with DJI is tech support and not flight analysis why would offer an opinion? Especially since the people in flight analysis have not finished analyzing the unit.
Lastly why would you respond to someone other than the OP stating it was pilot error?
2016-11-10
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Very concerning.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

CabinPete Posted at 2016-11-10 23:05
DJI-Ken, if your role with DJI is tech support and not flight analysis why would offer an opinion? ...

I also analyze flight records BUT for information only. I use the same program as the flight data analysis department uses when the aircraft is lost and they only have your synced records from the DJI server to go by.
When they  analyze the flight data recorder DAT files, they use a special DJI software program that only that department has.
And I was directing my analysis to the OP in my post to them, but the post was a new post and not a reply to them but it was meant for them.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-10 22:04
Hello Ken,

This is not a pilot error I 100% will tell you this, it really did hover for probably 10 ...

But the app was recording at the time of the crash and for a bit before as the flight log shows.
If it wasn't then I wouldn't see your stick movements or battery percentage.
So it looks like it lost signal from the interference but then regained for the last minute or so.
BUT, that's only my analysis. We have to wait to see what the flight data analysis says after they've analyzed the flight data recorder.If you play back your flight and overlay the rc sticks you can see what I see but just less data but you will still see that you were connected to the GO app aprior to the crash.
You said you didn't intentionally crash and I know that.. Did you purchase DJI Care?
Anyways, I really with you would have waited to get full GPS lock before takig off. It would have landed in the same stop you took off from if there was GPS lock.
If flying in a field or large area it's not that big of a deal ( you should still wait regardless) but when taking off from a confined spot it's not good.
Let's just wait and see what they flight dta department says, hopefully they come to a conclusion that favors you. It's hard to lose a $1,000 aircraft.

And for others who've ordered the Mavic, I urge all of you who are new to drones to fly a $50 Syma for a few weeks before flying the Mavic. You need to be 100% confident in your multirotor flying skills. But also DJI's highly advanced technology that's built into the aircrcraft, everyone needs to fully understand all the features, functions, and limitations of the aircraft.
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Hello Ken,

I will be home in a couple of hours from work and will upload my flight pattern up until what you can see towards the end when I cancelled the auto landing. You'll see my drone hovering for the next 10 minutes or so within the same location and that flight/trip was not recorded on the DJI App nor logged under the flight data. I will upload this video ASAP on YouTube.

Thanks!
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

I see you edited your post with additional questions. I did not purchase DJI Care as I've owned the Phantom 4 and never crashed it on multiple flights I've done. Now I'm wondering if I need to put down additional money in order to avoid stuff like this happening again. Like I also mentioned before this isn't my first rodeo flying a drone. There was no crazy wind and I was flying the drone for the first half of my flight with no issues whatsoever. It was an amazing experience until I lost connection.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 00:49
Hello Ken,

I will be home in a couple of hours from work and will upload my flight pattern up until ...

No problem, I hope it does end up being exactly what you said, I know the Mavic is an expensive aircraft to repair.
I did move your Mavic to the front of the line and it will be analyzed shortly.
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 01:04
No problem, I hope it does end up being exactly what you said, I know the Mavic is an expensive ai ...

Thanks Ken! I really appreciate that. Definitely I will upload it and you'll see it's going to be flying for 10 minutes at the same exact spot. I saw it myself start to fly down towards the end and then the video got cut off. Too bad it didn't record the crash.
2016-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-10 18:10
OK, since you are being civil and friendly I went to bat for you. I got it covered under warranty  ...

Hi Ken think you meant this for the OP,
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-11 02:11
Hi Ken think you meant this for the OP,

Sorry about that
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 01:07
Thanks Ken! I really appreciate that. Definitely I will upload it and you'll see it's going to be  ...

OK, since you are being civil and friendly I went to bat for you. I got it covered under warranty and they will be sending you another Mavic and RC.

Here's what happened. The first mistake was you should not have taken off without full GPS. GPS lock was acquired at the corner of the roof and if it would have had GPS lock from takeoff there wouldn't have been an accident.
I went through the entire flight with the flight analysis team as they were analyzing your flight. You are correct and it had a signal loss and it did hover over the home point until low battery auto land started and it slowly descended to the corner of the roof then fell. So you are correct in your statement and I'm sorry that I saw otherwise from the flight data from the GO app.
The reason you were disconnected was probably interference as the flight data shows.  They're may have been less interference with proper antenna orientation (maybe your antennas were pointed not pointed correctly). Since you were about under the aircraft your antennas should have been pointed perpendicular to the aircraft and not towards it. For future reference, please watch the video below on antenna orientation. I know you said you never had a problem with your P4, but this video is for everyone as well. Do not have the antennas pointed at the aircraft, that will give you the worst possible signal.

There's power lines all around you and was probably the cause of interference. And there's also a transformer on the power pole next to your house.

So in closing, I was able to get you another aircraft under warranty. In the future. please wait until you have full GPS lock. Also, think twice and use caution if flying in front of your house with all those power lines and the transformer right next to your house.

I'm really glad that you will be getting another aircraft and please be careful in the future with your new Mavic.

2016-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

No problem, great job nicely handled..
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 02:13
OK, since you are being civil and friendly I went to bat for you. I got it covered under warranty a ...

Hello Ken,

Thank you so much for working with me through all this and getting this handled. I really appreciate it and the customer support was quick and responsive! I'll be sure to not fly at the house. Phantom 4 had no issues before but I guess this one is different.

Do you know when I should receive this new drone? Possibly by the 16th before my trip? Also for DJI Care can I still purchase it from you?

Thanks so much again!
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 02:24
Hello Ken,

Thank you so much for working with me through all this and getting this handled. I rea ...

I spoke to the repair manager and said you are leaving on the 16th, they are going to repair or replace your Mavic and ship it out today. (I edited my post as I said a new one).
As far as DJI Care Refrech, since the time period after activation (48hrs) has already passed, You cannot purchase it. I'm sorry about that. What date did you purchase, if you started the RMA within 48hrs of when you received it I can at least ask.

And you may be ok in from your house, just stay away from the power lines and that transformer. And keep your antennas orientated correctly and keep an eye on the RC/video signal for interference.And feel free to so some kind of edit on the thread title if you want.
And thank you again for being courtious and patient, that goes a long way
Enjoy your Mavic and have fun.

2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 03:01
I spoke to the repair manager and said you are leaving on the 16th, they are going to repair or rep ...

Sounds great Ken! I'm looking forward to getting the drone back and in the air again!

I received the drone and flew it for the first time on Monday, 10/31

My 3rd flight with the drone was on 11/3 in the afternoon and that's when it crashed and filed RMA which is 3 days after I received the drone. If I could buy the DJI Care I would love to, but if it's too late I understand.

Thanks!
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 03:10
Sounds great Ken! I'm looking forward to getting the drone back and in the air again!

I received  ...

Ya, it's too late. I'm sorry about that.
Care Refresh is definitely something everyone needs to buy. Especially for new users who have never flown a drone before.
I'm just glad I was able to assist you this time and you have no out of pocket expense.
Enjoy and fly safe, and all I ask is pay it forward when you see some random stranger that could use a hand.
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 03:18
Ya, it's too late. I'm sorry about that.
Care Refresh is definitely something everyone needs to bu ...

No problem! I'm looking forward to getting a tracking number sometime later today on the drone coming back. I'm definitely a happy customer.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 03:29
No problem! I'm looking forward to getting a tracking number sometime later today on the drone com ...

Sounds good, take care.
2016-11-10
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-10 11:37
Sounds good, take care.

DJI Ken is a hero!! Dang talk about following up!! After all these week's hearing about delays and problems........the way DJI Ken handled this situation gives  me confidence in DJI customer service once again. No more snarky replies or stoking the flames of anxiety for me....truth be told, the way you handled this situation (and the analyzing team) makes me realize you are indeed on the case and helpful.

After reading this I can't believe I ever even considered cancelling my order...

We have our "timeframe" for delivery...

Those who have crashed or are having problems seem to be getting attention when asked...

Snarky forum topics are slowing dying out...

BRAVO DJI Ken..(and Tahoe Ed) for plugging through, you guys deserve a raise!
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

WasabiBread Posted at 2016-11-11 04:10
DJI Ken is a hero!! Dang talk about following up!! After all these week's hearing about delays and ...

No problem at all, we're just doing our jobs and being cordial makes it easier.
2016-11-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

WasabiBread Posted at 2016-11-10 20:10
DJI Ken is a hero!! Dang talk about following up!! After all these week's hearing about delays and ...

I have used dji repair service before, it's excellent, from start to finish.
2016-11-10
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-10 13:17
I have used dji repair service before, it's excellent, from start to finish.

Agreed. Anyone who doubts 'that' assessment needs to read this thread from start to finish...DJI Ken turned my frown upside down...maybe DJI isn't the bad monster they have been made out to be...

I admit when I'm wrong...and my complaining was misplaced in light of seeing how they handled this case..
2016-11-10
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-10 16:15
No problem at all, we're just doing our jobs and being cordial makes it easier.

Hi Ken,
Nice work buddy. must be hard trying to tame the beasts on this forum.  just curious, for current owners who have mavics in hand, will there be a long wait period if sending it in for repair/replacement?  Looking at this thread, the replacement/repair seems immediate. I'm wondering if the current backlog of shipments has any affect on repair/replacement time.
Edit: Also, does having DJI Care expedite the process?
2016-11-10
Use props
David Pumpkins
lvl.2

United States

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-7 19:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=yCzPMrPLOKg

OMG lol looks like a scared r2d2
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

phatee Posted at 2016-11-11 09:01
Hi Ken,
Nice work buddy. must be hard trying to tame the beasts on this forum.  just curious, for c ...

Thank you very much for the kind words, it's really appreciated. And that goes for all the moderators as well
The turn around time is 1-2 week from when it's received here. If you have DJI Care Refresh you get priority service. If you didn't purchase Refresh it would still be fairly quick.
And your Mavics shipping from China has nothing to do with the repairs that are done in California.
2016-11-10
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-10 23:29
Thank you very much for the kind words, it's really appreciated. And that goes for all the moderato ...

"And your Mavics shipping from China has nothing to do with the repairs that are done in California."

does the same go with replacements?
2016-11-10
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Hello Ken,

Good morning! I got an email that it was finished repairing. Do you happen to know when I'll get that tracking number? Thanks again!

Status

Status

Email

Email
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

phatee Posted at 2016-11-11 13:44
"And your Mavics shipping from China has nothing to do with the repairs that are done in California ...

Yes, the California facility has stock for Care Refresh replacements.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-11 22:15
Hello Ken,

Good morning! I got an email that it was finished repairing. Do you happen to know when  ...

I sent a message and will let you know.
It's still early and when they get in I should have an answer.
2016-11-11
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 23:13
I sent a message and will let you know.
It's still early and when they get in I should have an ans ...

Thanks Ken! You're quick to respond!
2016-11-11
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-11 09:59
Yes, the California facility has stock for Care Refresh replacements.

Awesome. Good to know.
2016-11-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules