3rd Flight, Mavic Pro Crashed (Resolved!)
123Next >
9500 90 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Thanks DJI Ken for helping me out, they're repairing my drone under warranty and saw it may have been interference with powerlines/poles. Never happened with my Phantom 4 before but I'll keep that in mind now for my new Mavic Pro. They're shipping back the drone today says DJI Ken and should have it back by my trip to Reno next week.

Thanks again!

~~~

Hello,

On Thursday, November 3rd, I was going out for my 3rd flight. I had just gotten the drone on Monday and was excited to use it some more in San Francisco,

http://healthydrones.com/main?sh ... d=SENSORSSignal_Map

I lifted off with 100% battery and didn't fly very far and all within 1 mile from my location. While the drone was within a couple of feet away from me, the drone lost connection. I reconnected quickly with it and canelled the landing as it was going to land on my neighbors roof. After I stopped the landing, it lost connection with the remote. My iPhone 7 Plus and the Mavic controller both were not connecting to the drone. My drone was at the edge of my neighbors roof and landing would cause it to crash. I tried for 20 minutes to try and reconnect with the drone before the battery died and had no success. I kept pressing the power button on my remote control and it constantly kept saying, "Connecting...". That's it. My iPhone was connected via the USB cable to the remote and showed no status either. I had no idea why it kept doing that? It just wouldn't connect to the drone. My neighbor even asked why I wasn't flying it around and it was on their roof. I told them I can't control it, it's stuck there.

Finally the battery died after multiple attempts of reconnecting. And it fell down from the roof top to the sidewalk. The battery popped up and propellers came out. I picked up the drone and it has scratches and marks all over the drone, including on the camera itself. I was extremely dissappointed as this never happened before to me with my Phantom 4. I called DJI to get support from overseas to go online and do the repair form.

I filled it out, got a return label, and it's delivering back to their Los Angeles headquarter tomorrow. I'm really hoping to have this Mavic drone back in time before I leave on a trip next week as I've already missed out on my last trip leaving town. This was very unfortunate as this was only my 3rd flight with the drone. This has never happened with my Phantom 4 and its dissapointing I just lost connection as the dron was 10 feet away from me. I couldn't save it and it just hovered until it's last battery percentage.

You can see the signal was terrible at the end of my flight data for some odd reason. This was a very close proximity to myself so I have no idea what the cause and issue would be.

Please help me DJI! The drone is delivering back to your HQ tomorrow in Los Angeles!
2016-11-6
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

Add this to the list of weird Mavic crashes... I would assume that there would be a fair bit of interference as you are in a city surrounded by power lines, etc. However you've flown in the same location with your P4 before so it doesn't make sense for the Mavic to have issues there. It seems that there are a lot of issues with the new "improved" connection system they are using on the Mavic. Sorry about your crash and hopefully they repair or replace your drone free of charge.
2016-11-6
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1909 ft
United States

Good luck
IMG_8781.PNG
2016-11-6
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

F.C Drone City  Posted at 2016-11-6 18:38
You had a chance (tip) to land your Mavic & you cancelled it .can you tell us why ? Or wasn't you wh ...

I believe he mentioned that landing it would have caused it to land on his neighbors roof and crash.

Sorry OP... Hope DJI gets it repaired and turned back around to you soon.
2016-11-6
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Sorry about your crash.  I have to ask, if you knew the battery was dying, and you could see the Mavic, why didn't you just catch it before it hit the ground?
2016-11-6
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-7 07:44
Sorry about your crash.  I have to ask, if you knew the battery was dying, and you could see the Mav ...

Spinning blades that can slice up your hand maybe?
2016-11-6
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Hello!

1. Why couldn't I catch it?
It was half going to land on the roof, and half was not on the roof and towards the sidewalk. While it auto-landed when the battery died, it flipped over and started smacking into the gutter, stairs, wall, then finally down on the sidewalk. The propeller popped off, the battery came off, and the scratches was both to the drone body and on the camera itself. Definitely don't want to try catching that as there were other obstacles it was going down already. Definitely didn't want to try catching something with the propellers spinning at such a high RPM.

2. Flew around before
I flew my Phantom 4 probably 10 times in that same area just fine. I took off from there and flew it around with no issues of disconnecting before. However it seem the Mavic just stopped working at one point. Before that though I flew around with no issues, it was amazing and flew fantastic! But at the end, everything went downhill when the controller could no longer connect to the Mavic. I wonder if this was a defect with the remote controller?

3. Battery was at over 40% when disconnected,
When I lost connection to the drone while it was hovering above my neighbors roof, it still flew there for the last over 10 minutes just hovering. It wasn't exactly dead and battery was A-ok.

I'm really hoping to have a new Mavic with no charge and with a quick turn around. Definitely something I couldn't control and like I mention again Phantom 4 never had this issue before. I sold my Phantom 4 already as i had such high confidence this would be drone I can travel around with. Now I'm starting to worry if I made a mistake.
2016-11-6
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

That's similar to what happened to me at my first flight.. it lost connection at two meters from me and went RTH of its own, it jumped in the sky and then tried to land in a different spot than the launch point, it was a not suitable place and I couldn't cancel .. it jumped on the terrain, luckily it didn't crashed, then finally I regained the control and landed it elsewhere.
I never fly the Mavic again from that day... 1499€ for a single fly and it is enough for me, until DJI will tell us what's going on here: there's people every day crashing their drones and not a single word, there's a guy invited to send back his drone because of a firmware bug .. but they didn't told anything to us, we had to know what happened from that customer posting it here on the forum.
2016-11-6
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

What is your RMA number?
2016-11-6
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

CAS-309740-J0N5L4
2016-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry to hear about your crash, hope you get sorted,
Thank you for posting flight logs, it may not help you now, but it's good information for members here concerned here on this forum.
I hope you get sorted.
2016-11-6
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Oof this sucks sorry about that. I know exactly where that is...I play league soccer right there at Crocker Amazon. I know that area well and it seems like the perfect place to fly.
i hope you get a replacement from DJI pronto
2016-11-6
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone! Yeah this is a wide open area with not many tall buildings so I fly around sometimes here if I can't make it to the beach in Pacifica. Definitely a bummer as I wanted to take this with me during my road trip to Lake Tahoe in a week! All wide open hills/mountains would've been amazing for drone shots!
2016-11-6
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

Phantom4 RC operates at 5.8GHz to control the drone different from the video feed at 2.4GHz.  Mavic only uses 2.4GHz for both. This could account for the difference when flying the two in the same area. Do you know of anything close by that'd interfere with a wi-fi signal frequency?
2016-11-6
Use props
jonwitte
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214081 ft
United States

I had a similar issue happen with my mavic. In the DJI app camera view, it said battery error, then remote disconnected. Mavic was hovering normally, then when the RC disconnected, it started to fly away to my left. Right before it crashed into some trees the return to home feature kicked in and returned it safely to the home point and hovered. I was able to reboot the controller at that point. Everything connected normally and I was able to land. Had the drone been higher or rth not have worked I would be out a Mavic.
2016-11-6
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Does that P4 specs say Remote Controller operate at 2.4 GHz also?I could not find 5.8 GHz.
2016-11-6
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Gee... would it be strange to think, given so many people getting their mavics... the interference is off the charts... causing all these weird crashes... (Or maybe your neighbour had something in their house to jam your signal)
2016-11-6
Use props
fans11982671
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89213 ft
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-11-6 18:55
Spinning blades that can slice up your hand maybe?

i experienced the same dead stick no connection issue. I realized it was the location i was flying in. Happened twice at the same place. first time, i tried grabbing and sliced my finger open.  Second time i let the battery die as it was hovering low where i took off when the dead stick happened.

I've since flown it flawlessly in other locations and love all the aspects of this Mavic.  I'm now tuned into the fact that this new Mavic has new or more "can not fly areas" than previous drones.

Outside of that, the drone works amazingly.
2016-11-7
Use props
giusis00
lvl.2

Italy

fans11982671 Posted at 2016-11-7 10:38
i experienced the same dead stick no connection issue. I realized it was the location i was flying ...

The transmitter is capable of several kilometers.. to blind the signal completely and not being able to regain it within a couple of meters is something more than simple interference, it is a hardware issue or a bug in the transmission protocol.... unless you live in the middle of a gigawatt antenna.
Even if it is an interference, you would experience multiple signal cuts, not the signal do disappear and not connect back anymore.
2016-11-7
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

ngvuanh Posted at 2016-11-7 13:59
Does that P4 specs say Remote Controller operate at 2.4 GHz also?I could not find 5.8 GHz.

Sorry you're right. Looks like the Phantom 3 RC is 5.8 GHz and Phantom 4 RC is 2.4 GHz. I wrongly assumed they were the same.
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

giusis00 Posted at 2016-11-7 18:18
The transmitter is capable of several kilometers.. to blind the signal completely and not being ab ...

Exactly! I was flying around within that location just fine. As soon as I brought it closer towards me within a couple of feet. The drone and remote no longer functioned together. It was the most horrific experience to have no more control of the drone when it's just a few feet away.

Yay the drone return will be delivered today, it's out for delivery back to your HQ now.
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Why did RTH fail?
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

It was returning to home when disconnected, but it wasn't going to land precisely at my home point but on my neighbors roof. When it reconnected I stopped and cancelled the landing. However after that, it never reconnected. It just hovered above their roof and none of my controls work and the remote displayed no connection to the drone.
2016-11-7
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

jonwitte Posted at 2016-11-7 13:58
I had a similar issue happen with my mavic. In the DJI app camera view, it said battery error, then  ...

You should open a support ticket so DJI can take a look at your logs. Could help them fix the issues the Mavic is having.
2016-11-7
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-7 16:02
It was returning to home when disconnected, but it wasn't going to land precisely at my home point ...

Was home point then set badly? Should not be off by so much.
2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-7 22:02
Exactly! I was flying around within that location just fine. As soon as I brought it closer towards ...

I have requested that the flight logs be downloaded and analyzed.  We will let you know.
2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-7 22:02
Exactly! I was flying around within that location just fine. As soon as I brought it closer towards ...

I have requested that the flight logs be downloaded and analyzed.  We will let you know.
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Tahoe Ed! Appreciate your assistance with this.
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

The Mavic Pro has been delivered to your dock!

My order info is from your website,

2016-11-07_11-34-02.png

Order Info

Order Info
2016-11-7
Use props
EZTropical
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303734 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

do you have DJI Care  ??

get a Phantom 4  !!  

I have flown my Mavic EVERY DAY FOR TWO WEEKS ...PERFECT !
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

I had a Phantom 4, but I sold it when they announced the Mavic Pro. Still waiting to hear from DJI but my Mavic Pro is now in their HQ facility.
2016-11-7
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

EZTropical Posted at 2016-11-7 18:16
do you have DJI Care  ??

get a Phantom 4  !!  

Why not just kick him in the yam bag.
Jeez
2016-11-7
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

2016-11-7
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-7 16:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=61&v=yCzPMrPLOKg

DJI probably going to say pilot error lol
2016-11-7
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-7 16:32
I had a Phantom 4, but I sold it when they announced the Mavic Pro. Still waiting to hear from DJI b ...

Please update the forum when DJI gets back to you...sorry about your loss (
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

WasabiBread Posted at 2016-11-8 10:20
Please update the forum when DJI gets back to you...sorry about your loss (

Will do! Definitely want to hear something soon.
2016-11-7
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Hello DJI,

Good morning! Any update on my drone? It was delivered yesterday and see no updates yet, thank you!

Progress

Progress

Tracking

Tracking

Chat

Chat
2016-11-8
Use props
fans0fce35f1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11965 ft
France

Soyez attentifs à ça : c'est connu pour perturber les systèmes de communication : http://spaceweather.com/
2016-11-9
Use props
O5YsLM04cSPJ
lvl.1

United States

Got an email just now, hopefully will get an update tomorrow.

Status Update on Website

Status Update on Website
2016-11-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

O5YsLM04cSPJ Posted at 2016-11-8 15:31
Hello DJI,

Good morning! Any update on my drone? It was delivered yesterday and see no updates yet, ...

Hi I've been through repair service before, once damage assessment is done and both agree, process is usually very quick.
Good luck.
2016-11-9
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules