Is Mavic Airworthy?
4324 55 2016-11-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

TBird_RainyLake Posted at 2016-11-7 11:58
Hi,  I don't know if mine is on the shipped list but I have over 20 flights with NO issues.  
I di ...

Awesome! with regards to the no major problems with your unit in 20 flights.

I hope more start trending in that manor so I/we can feel safer ordering a Mavic in a few months. Right now with all the threads on this forum and other UAV forums regarding crashed Mavics not resounding to user input, I'll hold off and let the kinks get worked out. I do feel bad for what the early adopters have went through with the initial product launch fiasco and now appear to be ginea pigs of sorts with defective mavic's and now are dealing with repair service when they hoped to have a nice new product to be enjoying. I felt like that on the P4 pre-order and this doesn't seem to hold a candle to that one. I am glad you and hopefully countless others are getting to enjoy your Mavic's as anticipated...
2016-11-7
Use props
fans53ebb519
lvl.3
Flight distance : 612858 ft
United States

Sorry about that. Meant compass.
2016-11-7
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

So DJI can't confirm that the Mavic would be considered  "Airworthy" as they won't acknowledge that many users are experiencing loss of control and malfunctions due to a fault.
No warning or statement has even been issued to advise users of the risk or how to recognise the situation or handle it to minimise risk.

VERY Irresponsibe. Shameful.
2016-11-7
Use props
warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 22:20
So DJI can't confirm that the Mavic would be considered  "Airworthy" as they won't acknowledge that  ...

All I can say is give dji a chance they know about it and I'm sure it's not a overnight fix.
2016-11-7
Use props
fans34c91fb6
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-7 18:16
All I can say is give dji a chance they know about it and I'm sure it's not a overnight fix.

Many don't appreciate being unpaid beta testers with their own money on the line resulting in something they can't fly.
2016-11-7
Use props
Rocco12475
lvl.2

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-7 10:48
I have been flying mine since before introduction.  I have had no issues.  We advise new users to re ...

Tahoe Ed Do you think this is caused by user error?  LOL
2016-11-7
Use props
st pauli
lvl.4

United States

fans34c91fb6 Posted at 2016-11-7 19:33
Many don't appreciate being unpaid beta testers with their own money on the line resulting in some ...

Will all of these dozens of significant failures that are occurring just with forum members units (not to mention with not that many out in the wild), I don't understand how DJI was not aware of these issues during their product testing.
2016-11-7
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2

lots of people blaming "Users" for some reason and most of the time it's experience users who are catching these problems
2016-11-7
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

Rocco12475 Posted at 2016-11-7 16:42
Tahoe Ed Do you think this is caused by user error?  LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ...

Yeah, definitely not user error. Unless you're this guy.
2016-11-7
Use props
ThirstyHorde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 262047 ft
United States

Just throwing it out there....I have over 20 flights on mine and haven't experienced a problem yet.
2016-11-7
Use props
spirytus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Failure reports on this forum, rcgroups and mavicpilots are sporadic but none the less a concern. Stating that, it is a new product so it's to be expected.

However lack of a manual override in the unlikely event of the autopilot software going haywire, or the unexplained loss of communication between the ground controller and the Mavic are definitely a show stopper for me. The thought of being unable to manually control my craft or loosing connection with it and then watch the RTH function fail spectacularly due to the possibility of miscalibrated sensor makes my skin crawl -- Yes, the risk may be negligible, none the less based on the early reports it’s definitely not "insignificant" (to me).

So, is the Mavic airworthy? If you're referencing aerospace standards where lives and multi-million dollar property is at stake than its definitely not airworthy. However let’s not kid ourselves here; We belong to the RC hobby realm, we're flying little cameras in areas that do not endanger the public (right??). If you're following the safety guidelines outlined by DJI and your respective public airspace regulator than the only thing at risk here is your monetary investment in the Mavic. In other words; it's airworthy enough for you to make up your own damn mind.

2016-11-7
Use props
Z1uKtCi5N1Ix
lvl.1

warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-8 08:16

The should probably communicate that they are aware of said issues... This is Samsung all over again.
2016-11-7
Use props
Lost Mavic
lvl.2

Australia

spirytus Posted at 2016-11-8 13:37
Failure reports on this forum, rcgroups and mavicpilots are sporadic but none the less a concern.  ...

I see people taking selfies.
I'm seeing videos of people flying within meters of children and onlookers.
I'm seeing Mavics flying of balconies, over major roadways, and even over busy downtown NYC.

Now I'm seeing videos of Mavics going AWOL and heading off in all directions.

How long until the two occurrences happen at the same time?

2016-11-7
Use props
Rlivingston
lvl.2

United States

For the people having the joystick issues. Have any of you tried to replicate this behavior in the apps flight simulator. If this behavior can be replicated there, then it can most likely be concluded that the controller is the source of the problem.
2016-11-7
Use props
spirytus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Lost Mavic Posted at 2016-11-7 23:15
I'm seeing videos of people flying within meters of children and onl ...

* Use at your own risk clause.
I'm seeing videos of people flying within meters of children and onlookers.
* That's a clear violation of manufacturer and local regulatory guidelines - operator assumes liability.
I'm seeing Mavics flying of balconies, over major roadways, and even over busy downtown NYC.
* Same as above - operator is liable.
Now I'm seeing videos of Mavics going AWOL and heading off in all directions. How long until the two occurrences happen at the same time?
* If it can be proven the operator took necessary precautions and followed all safety guidelines and tried his best to recover and/or ground the aircraft at first sign of trouble than obviously the manufacturer would be liable.

Goes back to my original point:

By flying any RC aircraft, you -- the operator/pilot -- certify that:

1.) You're flying it within the safety guidelines.
2.) Trust in your abilities to maintain control.
3.) Feel confident that the hardware is safe.

If you doubt any of the 3 items listed, don't fly it.

For me the Mavic's inability to relinquish manual control to the operator on-demand, and the recent crash reports of experienced flyers casts doubt on item 2 and item 3.

Going to wait it out for a few months and see how this platform evolves... DJI track record of working out the kinks in their product lines is pretty good.

2016-11-7
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

@ Rocco Why would you not unfold the arms before powering on the unit?  You understand that the compass cannot be calibrated or accurately give information to the gimbal.  So yes this is user error.  Now show me the same video with the arms extended and the compass calibrated and we see the same behavior then yes it is probably a defective unit and should be sent in for warranty.
2016-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules