FlightAutonomy - Obstacle Avoidance
3505 3 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

Just came across this bit of text in an earlier article written by DJI...

"DJI’s commitment to unparalleled stability, maneuverability and safety is clear in Mavic Pro’s new FlightAutonomy system. FlightAutonomy is Mavic Pro’s brain and nervous system, a complex network of hardware and software consisting of five cameras, GPS and GLONASS navigation systems, a pair of ultrasonic range finders, redundant sensors and 24 powerful computing cores.

FlightAutonomy can position, navigate and plan routes for Mavic Pro, enabling it to avoid obstacles in various environments, with or without the help of satellite signals. FlightAutonomy provides a significant boost in working range and can cope with complex 3D environments. For navigation and obstacle avoidance, FlightAutonomy provides a superb speed-range envelope to make Mavic Pro self-navigational in various intelligent flight modes, and will avoid most obstacles at speeds up to 22 mph (36 kph)."

https://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-revolutionizes-personal-flight-with-new-mavic-pro-drone

I thought it only had 12 computing cores, but it turns out that it has 24 of them in its small casing, plus it's able to map a complex 3D environment in real-time during flight like the Yuneec Typhoon H with Intel RealSense does. So if it were to travel over or around a bunch of trees during a flight. And then you have it to fly backwards into them by using intelligent modes like follow mode or tapfly, I'm fairly sure it'll remember where those trees are and take measures to avoid them and provide the pilot with a much smoother shot.
Did anyone else know about this FlightAutonomy stuff? Completely slipped under my radar. Don't even think the Phantom 4 has this FlightAutonomy feature. P4 only manages to navigate itself around obstacles during a return to home procedure.

DJI's new Mavic Pro drone has a 'brain' and can map complex 3D environments during flight to avoid obstacles during use of intelligent modes, just wow.
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Just a notice, you need to change your avatar so it does not have DJI in it. Users may confuse you with DJI staff.
2016-11-8
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-9 13:01
Just a notice, you need to change your avatar so it does not have DJI in it. Users may confuse you w ...

It's not really much of a big deal, since I'm happy to provide support for the Mavic to most users. I know quite a lot about it so far, and I don't even have one in my hands yet.

But I shall change the profile pic, probably to a picture of the Mavic Pro drone itself.
2016-11-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-11-10 00:07
It's not really much of a big deal, since I'm happy to provide support for the Mavic to most users. ...

Thank you very much, and thanks for the time you contribute here.
2016-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules