DJI OSMO MOBILE & iPhone 5 SE - shaky video
2290 8 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans6006a562
New

United States

Been doing some testing with the DJI Osmo Mobile and my iPhone 5 SE. When I try any high motion video (running, or driving slowly) the video is very juttery, unusable. A weird focus/shift effect almost frame by frame. Best I can figure is that it is fighting the iPhone's built-in digital image stabilizer. I don't see an option to turn off this iPhone feature in the DJI Go App. Any suggestions? I read that Filmic Pro may have the ability to turn this off, so I will try that next.

2016-11-7
Use props
eliotfitzroy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 492 ft
Australia

Could you share any footage? I've experienced really bad shake when using the Osmo on DJI's tripod and extension pole, and have to walk very carefully with the SE. I'd be interested to see the results you are getting.
2016-11-7
Use props
RickmanFlash
New

United States

eliotfitzroy Posted at 2016-11-7 19:45
Could you share any footage? I've experienced really bad shake when using the Osmo on DJI's tripod a ...

Here is my footage, there's an almost electrical-type feel as it zooms in-out a couple pixels, which I've seen before when trying to use an iPhone at high speeds (without a DJI and its digital noise reduction can't keep up):
2016-11-7
Use props
Ey1990
lvl.2
Hong Kong

wow ..this looks crazy
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Do you mean iPhone 5c or iPhone SE? Neither of them have optical image stabilization though
2016-11-9
Use props
RickmanFlash
New

United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-9 17:32
Do you mean iPhone 5c or iPhone SE? Neither of them have optical image stabilization though

iPhone SE - it does have digital image stabilization
2016-11-10
Use props
fans61b37ad7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you ever think that the Bike's electric system, i.e. spark plugs may be the cause? Osmo seems awfully close to them.
2016-11-10
Use props
giggidditygiggi
lvl.2
United States

Reminds me of electrical interference.  How is the video if you while it is recording - move it off the mount and away, does the jitter remain?  or the infamous...and uhm.. ever dropped the phone. =D
2016-11-10
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

That looks quite similar to the effect I got a few years ago, using a Panasonic camcorder with OIS hard-mounted to a Caterham Seven. The vibrations from the engine and road were enough to shake the OIS lens elements with the OIS turned on or off. A gimbal like the OSMO mobile isn't going to remove the vibrations if it's hard-mounted, it cam only remove rotations.

The iPhone SE only has EIS, not OIS though, so the vibrations from your bike are probably actually only shaking the phone in its mount, or maybe parts of the OSMO. Failing that, your phone camera or more likely its lens may actually be slightly loose. You might be able to test that by vibrating the phone during recording, out of the OSMO phone mount. My hunch though is that it's the phone vibrating inside the phone mount.

If you want to use the OSMO in this kind of high vibration environment, you need to try damping the vibrations with some form of soft mount, ideally between the bike and a more massive assembly that the OSMO is attached to.

This is why I actually moved over to hard-mounting a GoPro in a Cobalt Cage so that the car chassis is my "massive assembly" and the GoPro doesn't have OIS. In your case, you'd need to rigidly clamp to the frame, not the fairing, as that will be flapping about like crazy at certain resonances.

HTH
2016-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules