Question About Loss of GPS
899 5 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8903fc65
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2629813 ft
United States

The statement shown in the attachment is taken from page 49 in the Mavic User Manual.  It clearly states certain altitude limitations regarding weak GPS reception.

Based on the statement in the attachment, my question is as follows:  What will happen when the GPS signal is suddenly weakened or lost while flying at an altitude above the "weak-GPS limited altitudes" defined in the manual. Will the aircraft suddenly descend to a lower altitude, possibly coming down into a tree top or structure, especially if you are flying with the Downward Vision System activated? In that case, according to the manual, your maximum altitude in that instance is only 16 feet!

It would appreciate a definitive answer from DJI about this.

Weak GPS Altitude Limits.jpg
2016-11-7
Use props
nils_heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft

The general approach if you (whyever) exceeded any limit it will behave normal you are just not allowed to go further in the forbidden direction.
In your example it would not allow to go further up.
There WAS a problem with that (guy taking off from balcony, Mavic lost GPS and went down nearly hitting trees ) but THAT triggered a fast FW update :-)

Nils
2016-11-7
Use props
t-keeg
lvl.3
United States

nils_heidorn Posted at 2016-11-7 13:53
The general approach if you (whyever) exceeded any limit it will behave normal you are just not allo ...

Thanks Nils, I was unaware that a firmware fix addressed that issue.
DJI should make it clear in their manual what will happen in this circumstance......
2016-11-7
Use props
fans8f340c8f
lvl.2

Norway

It will switch to  atti mode until gps is valid again. The app will tell you with a voice and onscreen warning. Just checked my last log and i climb 10 meters during loss of gps but that was in sports mode so it might be different in normal mode.
2016-11-7
Use props
t-keeg
lvl.3
United States

fans8f340c8f Posted at 2016-11-7 17:37
It will switch to  atti mode until gps is valid again. The app will tell you with a voice and onscre ...

Yes, I am aware of the automatic switch to Atti Mode, but that is irrespective of the altitude limitation that the manual refers to when there is a weak GPS signal.
I had asked about this yesterday in the Mavic Thread in the RC Groups Forum and surprisingly it was ignored by everyone, even the DJI reps.
Other than Nils response above, I have not heard nor read anything about a firmware fix for this dangerous altitude limit and I have read every single one of the 12,508 posts in that thread!
2016-11-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

When the aircraft is about 5-10m , and GPS signal turn weak, it will switch to OPTI mode and cannot go up.
The aircraft will automatically switch to ATTI when the GPS signal is weak and Forward and Downward Vision Systems is not working.
2016-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules