Mavic acting up caught on camera(No RC response)(Owner joined forum)
7751 114 2016-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-8 23:55
Hey Ken, I'm the owner of the video would you like a link to the raw footage?

Can you shorten your video so it just includes the part where the mavic isn't responding to stick inputs?  and when you take off after changing the battery. bleep out the swaery words too to keep the forum rules happy I guess ...

Also, can you dump the flight logs from your mavic ?

@Ken - the antenna orientation would also effect his video signal, which was fine, I think the reception, as showed on the app, looked fine too, but I guess the logs would show this all better.

2016-11-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 00:55

Yeah, keep the parts where it acts up, BEEP out F-words (that is the problem)
Then i'll replace the video. Since I'm the OP.
2016-11-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 00:55

Updated the video with your latest upload
2016-11-8
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103891 ft

Nees Posted at 2016-11-9 10:02
Yeah, keep the parts where it acts up, BEEP out F-words  (that is the problem)
Then i'll replace ...

You can find my clean video up now on my channel Nees, thank you
2016-11-8
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1

All my flight records have been Sync'd to their cloud.  A case has been opened.  Looking forward to hearing any news.
2016-11-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 07:55

Thanks for posting, Sorry about the difficulties you are experiencing.
Have you contacted support yet?
Either way, if you can please upload the DAT file of that flight to Dropbox as well as the RC log. What is your email and I will email you the RC download tool so you can extract the RC logs and upload those to Dropbox as well. After that, provide me the link and I will forward to R&D. As I said in my earlier post I only watched a minute of it and the aircraft was directly overhead and you had the antenna tips pointing directly at it which would cause issues. I did not watch anymore to diagnose any other unexpected behavior of the Mavic.

Thanks for making an edited video.I just watched it and it seems you have the same thing as a few others that R&D is already looking into.
If you play back the flight in the GO app and tap the RC icon it will overlay your stick inputs and you can see the direction of the aircraft. It seems the left stick was sticky and if you play your flight you may see that as the deflection % may be stuck at a certain percentage at times.
So the aircraft is making the correct movements based on the stick input from the overlay you see but since it's sticky wherever the phtysical stick percentage is does not register with what the app says. Am I correct?

And with it saying "Cannot Takeoff"  it may be because the stick was not registering 0%.

Anyways, please provide your email and we will get it taken care of.

2016-11-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Danny-B- Posted at 2016-11-9 08:53
Can you shorten your video so it just includes the part where the mavic isn't responding to stick  ...

That was just my guess from the one minute I watched. So if the video stayed clear then yes, antenna orientation probably wasn't the reason.
2016-11-8
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-8 19:04
All my flight records have been Sync'd to their cloud.  A case has been opened.  Looking forward to  ...

Dang Bro, sorry about that. Sucks that other four members have to say sorry rather than DJI...hope they send you a new one right away!!!!
2016-11-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 03:45
You can find my clean video up now on my channel Nees, thank you

Can you make a video with the flight-replay on your phone where you see the controls play back and add that onto that latest video, some kind of split video-view? might be hard to sync? not sure... But would be cool to see if it does false inputs and the mavic does react to it or not. like the sticky left stick issue that others have.
2016-11-8
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1

Nees Posted at 2016-11-9 11:41
Can you make a video with the flight-replay on your phone where you see the controls play back and ...

I was just watching the replay myself.  I will get it recorded tomorrow.
2016-11-8
Use props
fans89283ba7
New

Poland

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 05:12

Have you uploaded log file to healthydrones.com? I find there some useful info's about signal strenght and rudder response times. Would be nice to have your link with that flight. It looked clearly that you had problems with control delays, not "left stick sticky" or "antenas pointed wrong direction". Come one, it was soooo close that it shouldn't make any difference.
2016-11-9
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-9 04:12

I wonder/hope that the new firmware release will fix this?
2016-11-9
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

symbol Posted at 2016-11-9 23:04
I wonder/hope that the new firmware release will fix this?

Subscribing to this as well   
Maximus, I think we're all curious as to whether the new firmware fixes this. I know that duplicating the conditions that led to erratic flight has been...er, erratic, but pls keep us posted to let us know how you go As the new FW release notes say that it "Fixed occasional unresponsiveness to remote controller commands," there's lots of people crossing their fingers that this problem is history!
2016-11-9
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

I agree. Since your exhibited this behavior, I am eager to learn if your mav performs as expected over time. Please let us know how it's going, even if there are no issues.
2016-11-9
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

I am not a expert,  but  looking at your pictures, and the  antenna position on the controller,  based on what I have seen,  you are not getting a very good signal to your unit,  one antenna is turned up the other down,  and both are flat out,  So I think part of your issue is poor transmitter, signal,  turn both antenna's the same direction,  and  not pointed straight out,   There is a video on dji on proper set up,  Might help,  just my 2 cents worth,  happy flying
2016-11-10
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

HWKIDD Posted at 2016-11-10 21:26
I am not a expert,  but  looking at your pictures, and the  antenna position on the controller,  bas ...

one up and the other down is the way the mavic rc controller is designed.
2016-11-10
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1

I will put up a recording of the flight replay this weekend when I have the time.  I haven't really flown since the update, just about 10 minutes and no issues.
2016-11-11
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I'm not sure if this is the right idea but I have been thinking that if I get to a situation like this one that powering off the controller and letting the drone take over and RTH would be the best option ???

Or is this NOT really recommended ??
2016-11-11
Use props
Maximus Potesta
lvl.1

Here's the flight recorder with the sticks showing on the last few minutes of that flight.  
2016-11-11
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-12 00:25
Here's the flight recorder with the sticks showing on the last few minutes of that flight.

WOW!

You can clearly see at the end, (thats why i meant to overlay it with your real inputs from gopro to seem them next to each other and the behaviour of the craft) that you do FULL STICK DOWN and your can see just before landing it does a FULL STICK RIGHT, making it spin, when you were not doing that. Insane!
2016-11-11
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-9 04:18
That was just my guess from the one minute I watched. So if the video stayed clear then yes, anten ...

I wonder what you think about my last reaction. Ok, it was then on "old" firmware, but that is just crazy that it records a stick input that was never given and the craft performed that movement. It is more like the craft is doing a move and then "records" the stick input that you are supposed to do but never did. That it works backwards if you know what mean.
2016-11-11
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Maximus Potesta Posted at 2016-11-12 07:25

You've already contacted support right?
The new firmware that came out 2 days ago addresses this.
2016-11-11
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

phatee Posted at 2016-11-10 19:05
one up and the other down is the way the mavic rc controller is designed.

Your right,  my error,
2016-11-13
Use props
fans54dd9b06
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6237 ft
Germany

Hi everyone,

let me say hello to the forum community and introduce myself first. My name is Michael and I live in the beautiful south of Germany. I am an RC pilot now for over 35 years with at least 5 years experience with all kinds of drones (mostly Pixhawk so far).
Since yesterday, I have a Mavic Pro in my hangar, too.
As the Mavic showed some strange behaviour on its maiden flight, I stumbled over this thread. Unfortunately, I have no video to upload resp. the video from the drone does not show anything unusual. So I will try to explain as exact as I can what happended:
I set the Mavic, the controller and my Phone (Samsung S5) up and upgraded to the latest firmware & DJI Go App.
1. For the maiden flight, I went out on a field behind our neighbourhood - approx. 300 ft. away from the houses.
The first 3-4 minutes I familiarized myself with the mavic. Then I flew it further away - approx. 1000 ft (350m). Away from the hoeses, toward open fields. Elevation less than 150 ft all the time.
Then I brougt it back and flew about 100 ft towards the houses when at first the video feed stopped and a few seconds later it showed "disconnected" in the app and "ATTI" on the transmitter.
At the same time, there was no response to RC input anymore and the LED on the drone flashed yellow (I can outrule a range issue as the drone was not further that 150 ft away from me).
It performed the failsafe RTH fine and when it was close to me I just grabbed it from the air. So nothing happened.
2. For the second flight, I took it out to our club airfield - approx 1.5 km away from everything. I flew about 20 min until the battery was down to 30% (and my fingers ice cold) without any issues.
3. The third flight I tried again on the field behind our house - same location as on the maiden and I had exactly the same issues. One exception: as it flashed yellow (no signal), I turned the controller off and on again. As a result, it regained the connection for a few seconds but lost it again shortly after. No damage done as the craft hovered in front of me so I could grab it from the air again (b.t.w. - I am glad, it's so small. I would have not done that with an Inspire ...)
I also notice, that - when I turn everything on in my living room, it warns of "magnetic interference", eventhough I do not have anything magnetic or metal within 15 ft...

The logical next test would be with WiFi turned off on the phone and after that with the Phone and WiFi instead of the RC transmitter - but honestly, eventhough no damage occurred so far, I dont want to overstretch my luck and crash the Mavic.

Therefore my question(s):
could it be, that the Mavic reacts so very sensitve to 2,4 GHz WiFi ? Could the routers in the neighbourhood interfere with the radio when the drone is closer to the house than to the transmitter? I thought, DJI uses a frequency hopping system to prevent any issues?
If the latest firmware was supposed to solve any "RC signal lost" issues - well, it didn't work in my case.

I will send the flight logs to DJI tomorrow.

Greetings from Germany and happy flying!
Michael
2016-11-19
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

fans54dd9b06 Posted at 2016-11-19 21:22
Hi everyone,

let me say hello to the forum community and introduce myself first. My name is Michael ...

Don't know how your antenna was pointed. I hope they were set correctly.

I have seen people forget to unfold them or point in wrong direction.
2016-11-19
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Nees Posted at 2016-11-8 07:15
Great explanation from this guy. EXACT same issues.

I also don't really feel like buying one anymor ...

What are you talking about ??? Of course some drones will have issues .... like every single product ever created and sold.... Assuming there is a problem with all mavics based on a couple of videos is insanity, have you not seen all the other videos of people have no problems at all ?
I had a faulty camera on a new iPhone.... therefore apple should admit there is a problem and recall all iPhone's world wide .... yea ............
2016-11-19
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2016-11-20 02:05
What are you talking about ??? Of course some drones will have issues .... like every single produ ...

A phone will not fly against someones head. It is/was a repeated issue, reported by users after flying the first time and others after many successful flights. This creates a feeling that you will never trust the product because it can happen to you, loose the product, hurt someone or whatever.

A bad camera or screen on your Iphone won't hurt anyone.
2016-11-19
Use props
fans54dd9b06
lvl.1
Germany

Nees Posted at 2016-11-20 01:06
Don't know how your antenna was pointed. I hope they were set correctly.

I have seen people forge ...

They were unfolded as supposed.
2016-11-20
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

your antenna should not be pointed out like that. It should be at a 45 degree angel and the flat side facing outward
2016-11-20
Use props
Michael H.
lvl.1
Germany

devGOD Posted at 2016-11-20 11:05
your antenna should not be pointed out like that. It should be at a 45 degree angel and the flat sid ...

The antennas had the correct position. I tried some more things today and now I have a suspicion: it might be my phone. The Samsung S5 has a known bug to show the message "Close Charging cover" every time, the UPB plug is removed or with even a slight mechanical movement on the plug  - cause unnkown.
Apparently, this message causes some interrupt that may cause the app to disengage. Doesn't explain the total loss of signal though. Can a  crash of the app cause the controller to lose signal?
I tried it with a Samsung Tab3 lite and the "big" USB connector on the remote and had no issues (other than the fact that the Tab 3 is too slow for the app to work properly).
Next I tried the S5 again - this time with a different cable via the big USB connector and I had no issues during the flight. The original cable is quite short and a bit tricky to connect.
I don't know if is was just by coincidence but maybe someone from the DJI Team knows if there are known issues with the Mavic controller and the Samsung Galaxy S5?
Michael
2016-11-20
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Michael H. Posted at 2016-11-20 22:40
The antennas had the correct position. I tried some more things today and now I have a suspicion: i ...

Could you try again with S5  and if this happens again then you will know. Thanks.
2016-11-20
Use props
disguy2k
lvl.1

Australia

fansf5f2d564 Posted at 2016-11-8 10:08
To the people asking about antennas, is that really a consideration given the proximity?  I would ex ...

Radiation patterns for most antennas are donut shaped. You can be holding your aircraft and transmitter in your hands, and still get low RSSI if the RX and TX are in each-other's dead zone.
2016-11-20
Use props
disguy2k
lvl.1

Australia

Nees Posted at 2016-11-9 05:29
Wif problem is normal. It is also on 2.4Ghz and you are overpowering the signal when it is turned  ...

With compliant wifi devices this shouldn't happen. 2.4 GHz band has allocated channels which a device should either be assigned, or set to. The spectrum allocated to wifi is well documented and interference with this band would be avoided.

Wifi communication unless specifically told not to, will operate at a power level needed to create a reliable connection between peers. It shouldn't operate at 100% all the time. - Especially on a portable device.

There is most likely something wrong with the craft, or the wifi router.
2016-11-20
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

disguy2k Posted at 2016-11-20 22:41
With compliant wifi devices this shouldn't happen. 2.4 GHz band has allocated channels which a dev ...

No, this is normal. If you have time, search a bit about 2.4Ghz, jammers, interference... How to "annoy" your neighbors by installing custom router firmware and boost your antenna output...

Even a microwave can mess up your wifi at home. But the remote of the device is a lot more powerful then a standard router.
2016-11-20
Use props
Michael H.
lvl.1
Germany

Meanwhile I am pretty sure that it was the USB cable and maybe poor contact in combination with the mechanically tricky position of the plug on the phone. I use another USB cable that has more clearance in the opening in the transmitter bracket on the left side. The other end is plugged into the "big" USB connector. With this configuration I had no issues  during the last three flights. Even in the same flying Location where I had the issues in the beginning.
I did not fly more than 80m high and 250 m away so far.

However, I have the occasional "Battery Error" message - regardless which of the three batteries I use.
2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules