Flying in winter conditions
4219 14 2015-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hoome
New

Bosnia and Herzegovina

hi there,
i would like to ask what is my dji phantom2+ lowest safe operational temperature and what are the hazards of flying in subzero tempertures.
thank you
2015-2-7
Use props
marc.aronowitz.
lvl.2

United States

I don't what the lowest operating temperature is, but the flight time is significantly less in lower temperatures.   I'd recommended keeping the battery at room temperature as long as possible prior to flight.   Some people put a hand warmer in their phantom case if operating in very cold weather.   I've been flying in temps around 25 degrees with-out any issues.   I usually land with at least 40% battery left and have approx. 12 minutes of flight time.
2015-2-7
Use props
BWJ
lvl.4

Denmark

In manual it says -10 degrees at minimum
2015-2-7
Use props
Zoki
New

Serbia

As a few months owner of Phantom 2+ now, I learned to fly it from -10oC (some days) to +15oC (some other days) with no problem, usualy with minimal 15minutes flight per battery.
Please read instruction manual plus Pilot training manual, they are very, very useful and a MUST read for every user, especialy for someone who never flew RC UAV like me.
2015-2-7
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

The P2V+ camera is rated in the manual down to zero "C.  Minimum operation temp for battery is -20 "C.  I never fly below freezing, as I don't wan't to take chance battery might fail.  Also, freezing temps make plastic parts very brittle and susceptible to cracking/shattering.
2015-2-7
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

I've flown it a few times around 0 *F with no problems. It actually flys very smooth since the air is so dense. I take it from my house right outside so it's not a cold start. My hands are frozen well before the battery is dead but I've done over 12 minutes of flight time.
2015-2-7
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

Ya'll live in the WRONG areas...
2015-2-7
Use props
clipshot62
lvl.1

United States

Flew recently in snow a -8 degrees.  Everything went smoothly until near the end of the flight my iPhone stopped working. (Batt died). Was bringing in to land lost control and crashed into a small tree.  Broke the props only and it fell into the snow.  No other damage. Next three flights brought it home sooner than waiting for the battery to tell me. Glad I'm back in Florida.
2015-2-7
Use props
godfrey.dayo.po
lvl.2

China

Flew it in snowy weather. No problems for the Phantom. After running down 3 batteries, my hands are frozen just like teedo. Every time we fly with hobby grade equipment, there is always some risk involved so try to keep the bird within line of sight.

Winter Flying.jpg
2015-2-7
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I find the bigger problem is the freezing of my hands. The fingers become rather stiff and make it difficult to maneuver smoothly. Wearing gloves gives you not enough sensibility to controll the sticks.
2015-2-8
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

Agree with the cold hands as being the limiting factor. No problem controlling the sticks with gloves but I can't work the iPad. My lower temp limit is 20 F (-6 C). Routinely 15 minute flights...no problems.
2015-2-8
Use props
manny
lvl.1

Norway

Flew myself the other day at -2c, and hands was the limiting factor. I just got the drone and couldn't help going out to fly even though it was freezing, but I had a real hard time getting the battery out of the back afterwards! Flew 2 batteries and got about 15 min +- 2-3min without a problem. Actually, I haven't had the chance to fly it about 0c yet!
2015-2-8
Use props
hoome
New

Bosnia and Herzegovina

thanks a lot to all of you guys for such a prompt and useful answers.
2015-2-9
Use props
kamikaze
lvl.2

Germany

SavannahQuad Posted at 2015-2-8 04:57
Ya'll live in the WRONG areas...

I prefer warm white sand locations, too, but in wintertime paradise is closed...
The lowest temperture right now was -5°C with a bad cold wind, flight time was o.k. , too (~ 20min) but finger was freezing much earlier and more.

Happy Landings
2015-2-9
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

One additional tip I can give you is to let your unit cool down (without the battery which should stay warm)  for an hour or so before using it outside and most important let it warm up for a couple of hours when bringing it inside before powering up while in the house even better if it can be done in a sealed plastic bag.  Snow dust will melt on warm surfaces and then freeze when these surfaces get cold in flight which can result in some issues like the gimbal giving overload errors and bringing a cold unit in a nice warm home causes condensation on cold surfaces which can be bad for the electronics if powered up.
2015-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules