Gimbal cover (acrylic or polycarbonate) ?
1049 5 2016-11-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy101
lvl.2

United States

As a novice Im flying with gimbal cover on. Unfortunately it has some scratches and I think if it possible to remove them with "plastic scratch remover". But there are several types of them - e.g. for acrylic , for polycarbonate , etc.

Do you know what material is used for gimbal cover ?

2016-11-8
Use props
MadMonkey
lvl.2

United States

While I don't know for sure, I would wager an educated guess that the cover is made of acrylic. Polycarbonate is more expensive and pretty durable, it is what safety glasses are made out of. The reason I am guessing the dome is acrylic is because I have seen a few posts of people with cracked and broken gimbal covers just from shipping alone. (Acrylic is easy to break). As far as plastic polish is concerned I have had good results using Meguiars "Plastx" on all kinds of plastics including acrylic and polycarbonate.
2016-11-8
Use props
Andy101
lvl.2

United States

MadMonkey Posted at 2016-11-8 09:50
While I don't know for sure, I would wager an educated guess that the cover is made of acrylic. Poly ...

Thank you, MadMonkey !!!

Based on your experience, using PlastX will be ok on clear plastic like gimbal cover ? Clearly, it is better to order a replacement, but they are not in stock for some reason.

PlastX
2016-11-8
Use props
MadMonkey
lvl.2

United States

Yep, I would definitely give it a try. I have used it on anything from CDs and DVDs to acrylic aquariums to motorcycle windshields and headlight covers on my car. The stuff works pretty amazing as long as the scratches aren't really deep. You just have to put in a little elbow grease. And it's pretty easy to find, you can pick it up at pretty much any store that sells Automotive Products
2016-11-8
Use props
Andy101
lvl.2

United States

May be some distributors can chime in in this thread , if you have "DJI Mavic - Gimbal Cover" in stock ?
2016-11-8
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

3M has a headlight polishing kit... would that work?

On a side-note, I can't wait until someone is 3D printing a "cage" that goes in place of the cover and doesn't block the camera.  I'd love to run something like that even AFTER I get confident with my flying.
2016-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules