VERY Unimpressed with the Mavic.
4810 42 2016-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cruxiaer
lvl.1

Australia

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-11-12 02:55
Like I said, for the hard of thinking, I know such bloopers can be excused as "art" (or "style").

S ...

Your low contrast argument is invalid. It is called grading. How he wants to grade the video is up to him and if the contrast appears to low to you then you're using a bad monitor.
2016-11-11
Use props
bigglyguy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

cruxiaer Posted at 2016-11-12 10:38
Your low contrast argument is invalid. It is called grading. How he wants to grade the video is up ...

Ah, I see, it's another Samsung problem....

*sigh

Well maybe I am 'obsolete', as I was always taught that the best contrast was the most contrast, ie expose as best you can to capture the highlights while keeping the lowlights low. One can certainly push those boundaries for still photography to evoke a certain feel but to me it looks plain wrong and weak as a movie! The human eye is far less forgiving with moving images and it just makes me want to reach for the contrast knob.  

I notice in the 2nd vid I linked he has a number of people telling him the same things, that his using far too wide an aperture (he replies that there is "no such thing" as too wide an aperture..?) and that his grading is too flat etc. So I'm hardly alone in my criticism - and again on Youtube we see his followers defending his "style", while he gets quite angry and asks how anyone dare point out his videos look like crap?

Methinks this particular emperor has no clothes.

But again, I can only judge by what I see. If I were that interested I'd try to find other work by him, stuff he would consider his professional work? But I'm really not all that interested, and said nothing the first 2 times his vids were posted as The Professional Opinion We Must Respect.

But the 3rd time, by someone challenging us to dare call this guy an amateur? Well yes actually, to me, my taste (style?) he does actually seem a bit of an amateur.

Heck I'm on a roll, I'll continue...

20 or 30 years ago I recall being amazed as my friend's SLR focused for me, at the touch of a button. It was awesome, seeing the bush in his garden spring into focus, automagically. Wow!

Around 17 years ago I recall the pride and wonder at my first f1.2 lens and the amazingly shallow depth of field. Sadly it wasn't mine and I had to give it back but I wanted to show everyone the shots, how EVERYTHING was out of focus except exactly where I focused, see? See? Awesome!

I also recall the smug desire to show off my gear and drop hints at how damn expensive it was - but I grew out of that around the age of 20, 25 maybe. Certainly by 30.

Frankly I think this guy irritates me because he reminds me of me - decades ago and before I matured into the lovable character I am now ;)

And even back then I'd never subject my viewer to a wide-open aperture and confused autofocus on a small, rapidly-waved object close to the lens, with no contrast and the sun in their face. But that's just me..?

Anyway, taste is ultimately subjective. To me this guy's Mavic reviews are irritating and difficult to watch and he comes across as a smug amateur with too much money and no personal grooming. If you or I made such a constant stream of bloopers we'd be rightfully told our work was awful, but this guy is somehow above criticism?

No.

Peace.
2016-11-11
Use props
VDR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24619 ft
Canada

bigglyguy Posted at 2016-11-11 23:36
Ah, I see, it's another Samsung problem....

*sigh

"Well maybe I am 'obsolete', as I was always taught that the best contrast was the most contrast, ie expose as best you can to capture the highlights while keeping the lowlights low. One can certainly push those boundaries for still photography to evoke a certain feel but to me it looks plain wrong and weak as a movie! The human eye is far less forgiving with moving images and it just makes me want to reach for the contrast knob."

I'll back this. (Look past that this is my first post—I've been sitting here listen to people complain about shipping delays for weeks.) I respect and value Bloom's perspective and opinions, but dang, as someone who sits and critically judges photos all day long for a living (and keeps the lights on and the rent paid by taking them for others), every time I see Bloom's colour grade my gut says, "too flat and too tobacco." Its his style. Horses for courses, I guess. But I think it's fair and reasonable to say it's not for everyone.
2016-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules