I'm running out of battery ABOVE the sea...
2021 26 2016-11-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Noyag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 857946 ft
Netherlands

My latest adventure with the Phantom 4 :-)

2016-11-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Did you push the right stick forward for a faster RTH?  Looks like you may have got back if you had.

Also, with 10% battery left you could have taken off again and travelled a bit further after changing the critical %, obviously you need to be careful never to reach 0% but it is worth taking a little risk if the alternative is drowning.
2016-11-10
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Would it have gone faster? It was in ATTI mode. I thought it goes as fast as it can then. Hmmm.
2016-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Did you learn anything from that?
There's not much evidence of smart flying there and plenty of stupid decisions made.
You knew you would have a headwind returning and kept going till you were 4.5 km out.
25+ m/s going out and no turning back until 55% battery.  
8 m/s coming home and you stayed up at 73 metres.
How did you expect that to turn out?
You don't deserve to have a Phantom but if you continue to fly so recklessly, you won't have it for long.
2016-11-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-11-11 09:29
Did you push the right stick forward for a faster RTH?  Looks like you may have got back if you had. ...

If you push the stick forward, you just run out of battery quicker. In my book, he did the right thing landing it.
2016-11-10
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

This one is deleted
2016-11-10
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-10 23:45
Did you learn anything from that?
There's not much evidence of smart flying there and plenty of stup ...

Well thank you. It's always nice to be called stupid.
I did not realise to have a head wind until the friend said so. Because it was in ATTI mode it drifted a lot. I expected it to stay in place. I was talking to my son and friend, so not paying enough attention to the data. It is easy to judge when you know, see all. Of course I should not have canceled RTH. But I did and thought I would have 10-15% to go.
I hoped it would make it back, but if not, I knew I had to land on the sand bank. And I knew if it had to land on the sand bank, I had to arrange a boat. Which we did. So what's the problem? I think the whole issue was hilarious and a great adventure. We had a great day and most of the viewers of the video like it too. Too bad you didn't.
2016-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Noyag Posted at 2016-11-11 09:58
Well thank you. It's always nice to be called stupid.
I did not realise to have a head wind until ...

Edited for content. Please be respectful of other users on the forum.
2016-11-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

That was quite a nail biter. Good to see all is well.
2016-11-10
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-11 00:10
The whole problem is that you "think the whole issue was hilarious and a great adventure"
You were  ...

Wow, what is your problem man? Relax.
2016-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Noyag Posted at 2016-11-11 10:39
Wow, what is your problem man? Relax.

My problem is a lack of patience with idiots that are proud of their stupidity.
You have no idea how many mistakes you made or how serious they were.
You just think it's hilarious and a great adventure.
2016-11-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Noyag Posted at 2016-11-10 22:38
Would it have gone faster? It was in ATTI mode. I thought it goes as fast as it can then. Hmmm.

In RTH mode it will travel 50% faster if you push the right stick forward (unless there is a very strong headwind).  I guess it would travel about 40% further before running out of power although I've never checked that.  Probably only sensible to do it if you can see that the flight path is safe.

I don't think being in ATTI mode makes any difference once it enters RTH mode.
2016-11-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2016-11-11 11:03
In RTH mode it will travel 50% faster if you push the right stick forward (unless there is a very  ...

Once he initiated RTH it was no longer in atti mode.
The Phantom can't return without using GPS.

And yes, if in a tricky headwind return situation, there's no sense leaving your Phantom dawdling along at  a headwind affected 8m/s.
Max distance is achieved at just a fraction below full speed in still air.
Traveling slower results in less range.
But it wouldn't have made any difference in this case since the flight started at 85% and RTH into the headwind only began at 55%.
2016-11-10
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

You were pretty lucky to have a good landing spot. Glad you got it back.
2016-11-10
Use props
Stefonline
lvl.1

Netherlands

Maybe not to clever but nice adventure, nice film, nice story, nice end.
Nexttime i come with you and film it from above!
Good Job
2016-11-11
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-10 23:39
You have no idea ho ...

I think thats his whole point, ALL his videos are about being reckless with the phantom in the hope he becomes a youtube sensation, by the looks of it.

OR

Could have been pre planned to "make it look" like he was stuck and was in this situation aka "CLICK BAIT" again make it on being a youtuber.
2016-11-11
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-11-11 15:36
I think thats his whole point, ALL his videos are about being reckless with the phantom in the hope ...

You guys are talking as if I fly YOUR machine. I like to test the limits of what is possible yes. I also like to make watchable videos. And I don't like to fly circles in my backyard and try to become a youtube hit, no. So, what's the problem? Live and let live please.
2016-11-11
Use props
Sky Mike
lvl.3
Flight distance : 357503 ft
United Kingdom

Noyag Posted at 2016-11-11 15:07
You guys are talking as if I fly YOUR machine. I like to test the limits of what is possible yes.  ...

Hey i dont mind i was saying that you may have pre planned it

started at 85% battery, knowing if you went out so far and back, calculate the wind and knew youll land on the sand bank, then your buddy on a boat comes to the rescue, but all in all the only risk was "you" loosing your p4 in the drink, no one was at risk or was low risk. over water
2016-11-11
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

Sky Mike Posted at 2016-11-11 16:50
Hey i dont mind i was saying that you may have pre planned it

started at 85% battery, knowing if ...

Well... it was not preplanned. But I kinda knew I could land on the sand plate in case of an emergency, so probably that's why I dared to take the risk of canceling RTH. I expected it to return home normally and only turned on the other camera's when I realised it might not be able to make it. I do not know anybody personally in that city or harbor and I do not know this shipper. That was improvising and I was lucky enough to find one.
2016-11-11
Use props
Phantom Robin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128839 ft
Belgium

I realy like the DJI forums, because everyone seems to be nice, its really sad to see that sometimes people are so negative.
2016-11-11
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-10 18:39
You have no idea ho ...

presumably you are talking about yourself here?
2016-11-11
Use props
tokenbrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

That was a fun video to watch and it sounds like you had a great adventure with your son - glad it all worked out.
2016-11-11
Use props
Noyag
lvl.4
Netherlands

tokenbrit Posted at 2016-11-11 18:58
That was a fun video to watch and it sounds like you had a great adventure with your son - glad it a ...

For him it was like a nice birthday surprise . And even up till now we are still laughing about the whole thing. We kinda made a virtue of necessity...
2016-11-11
Use props
Erised
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4002241 ft
Canada

Was like the time you flew down the mountain to your home, though man he will make it! This time I was man, he won't make it! I really enjoy your videos and you made the right choice in landing (a good one at that) on the sand bar you lucky pilot you! Keep up your adventures! These types of situations make us better pilots. Many of us find that the sweet spot for distance vs battery power with a P4 is about 30mph (13mps). I never RTH to get back because it is to slow for maximizing distance vs power. Don't use RTH as a cruise control it's not efficient. For me RTH is for the bird to find my signal if I lost it and to regain control and fly myself. Nice stuff!
2016-11-11
Use props
spalding1968
lvl.2
Flight distance : 315584 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you dont repeat the same mistakes flying above cities or busy roads. Above water is just a risk to your drone, if it emergency landed somewhere populated and caused an accident, I doubt you would be posting the "adventure" on youtube. Do you have any public liability insurance? Folks on this forum only get upset when some flyers play into the hands of the do-gooders who want drones banned. It would be nice to see you post some flights with maturity and seriousness and gain some respect back from your critics. Just my view.
2016-11-11
Use props
Sad1981
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Nice lad what a shame he still as it
2016-11-11
Use props
Bond
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1364534 ft
United States

Noyag Posted at 2016-11-11 13:35
For him it was like a nice birthday surprise . And even up till now we are still laughing about  ...

Glad you got it back, had a similar experience, naysayers...chill
2016-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules