Possible to slow P4 YAW movement? RESOLVED
8994 23 2016-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lethal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71096 ft
Australia

Have tried looking through manual, Go App & forums to see if it is possible to slow the turn speed of the YAW on my P4. Despite lots of practice can't seem to get it quite right (age thing I think). I did find a forum discussion for P2's some time ago but nothing for the P4. Anyone have an answer?

2016-11-12
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try these settings for smooth Gimbal control; below I have pasted an extract from This thread..........Original Poster was TK-421.

Okay, so I've had a few well-documented issues with the Phantom 4, but by-and-large, I love this thing. So, I thought I'd share my favorite smooth-pan settings to offset some of my grumblings...

Some of this will be redundant to other videos and "how to" for smooth camera movements with a DJI Phantom, but some of it is info I had to test for myself as I couldn't find good descriptions or tests (Yaw Endpoint, for instance), so here are the settings I've found that give me the smoothest panning/yaw/rudder of the P4 aircraft and most controlable tilting of the camera, making steady cinematic shots much more attainable and controllable:

On the RC:
        • - Lengthen the sticks. This allows finer resolution of physical stick input.
        • - PRACTICE and go easy on the sticks/wheels. No matter the app settings, if you're heavy-handed on the RC, it will show in the shot.

In the DJI GO app:

MC Tab (in "Advanced"):
        • - EXP: Normal: Throttle .4, Rudder .25, F/R .4 (this rudder EXP setting REALLY chills out the pans near center stick)
        • - EXP: Sport: Throttle .4, Rudder .35, F/R .4 (do whatever you want with Sport settings, personally I don't use this mode for "smooth" shots, more for fast high-energy shots)
        • - Sensitivity: Yaw Endpoint - 110 (this is a big one nobody talks about. It limits the "throw" of your pan/yaw/rudder moves, decreasing overall pan speed and essentially increasing the resolution of your pan movements. I have found that no matter how low I go on the rudder EXP setting, the Yaw Endpoint setting is the real key to chilling out the panning on the P4)

RC Tab:
        • - Gimbal Speed - 60 (personal taste, but I've found this setting to work well with the rest of the gimbal settings below)

Gimbal Tab:
        • - Gimbal Tilt EXP - 20 (allows finer resolution around the center detent of the gimbal wheel)
        • - Gimbal Tilt SmoothTrack - 22 (this is MAGIC and nobody talks about it, kinda like the Yaw Endpoint. SmoothTrack automatically smooths out the start and end of your gimbal wheel input. It can seem really spongy at first, but once you start getting used to it, doing nice long sweeping tracking shots or horizon reveals, you'll never turn it off)
        • - Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow - OFF (this keeps the gimbal centered and lets the P4 aircraft do all the smooth panning work, that way you don't get the sudden camera jerk to the side when trying to do a smooth pan)

There you have it, hopefully this was helpful. I'm sure I'll continue to refine these settings, but I've settled on these numbers after a bunch of flights. Just keep flying and keep testing...and don't forget that you can test a lot of these settings (especially the yaw settings) in the flight simulator. The Yaw Endpoint is especially obvious in the simulator...just bring the simulated P4 close to you, hover, and try timing a 360º rotation with various Yaw Endpoint settings.
2016-11-12
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

Hope this helps
2016-11-12
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Hawkeye54 Posted at 2016-11-13 01:23
Hope this helps
https://youtu.be/iqah4rLrmFs

Thank you Hawkeye - a little different with the changes to the APP but managed to find settings - unable to fly due to weather but YAW is certainly slower!
2016-11-12
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

RE: Possible to slow P4 YAW movement? RESOLVED

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-12 20:54
Try these settings for smooth Gimbal control; below I have pasted an extract from This thread....... ...

Aardvark, many thanks, this exercise has showed that I really need to improve my forum post search skills, also my understanding of the P4 settings and how they work together with the value in seeking help in the forum. Had already located and changed the gimbal settings and have now changed the YAW setting. Now, as the weather gods have put a dampener in flying today so will try out asap but looking good in the simulator.
2016-11-12
Use props
Hawkeye54
lvl.2

United States

Lethal Posted at 2016-11-12 18:47
Thank you Hawkeye - a little different with the changes to the APP but managed to find settings -  ...

Yes that was an older video but still applies to the new versions of the Go app. I wish more new videos come out with the new version but by the time a few videos come out they will change it all up again.LOL
2016-11-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I was working through the above tonight as my yawing sort of sucked on playback (A few jerky frames.).

I noticed in the newest GO 3.1 they added a new "Gentle" and a "Normal" selection slider in the EXP section.

The "Gentle" has the tuning curves there by default, and the "Normal" has the familiar straight lines from earlier versions where you applied the curves.  The new Gentle may even be more tuneable now too as the curves show 0.00 under Throttle, Rudder, and Forward/Backward.

2016-11-16
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-11-17 14:25
I was working through the above tonight as my yawing sort of sucked on playback (A few jerky frames. ...

Thank you for pointing the upgrade out - still haven't flown due to weather but looking good for tonight to test. Great to see I am not the only one who occasionally "sucks" at getting the yaw right!
2016-11-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Lethal Posted at 2016-11-16 20:09
Thank you for pointing the upgrade out - still haven't flown due to weather but looking good for t ...

I think the Fall wind gusts added to my sucky yaw matters today too.  The old military flag speed estimate of the flag being unfurled at X degrees (80 degrees) divided by four told me the wind was maybe 20 MPH on the top of the flagpole nearby.  My cheap wind gauge was hitting the top of the 10 MPH scale too so who knows.

I think the bird was getting slapped around up there pretty bad as I saw one of the props entering and leaving the frame while yawing which seemed odd.  Forward and aft weren't too bad with some prop shots, but yaw was terrible.

I need to try that Gentle setting in the EXP stick calibration window over Normal one in GO 3.1.
2016-11-16
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-12 04:54
Try these settings for smooth Gimbal control; below I have pasted an extract from This thread....... ...

Thanks for re-posting this.  I'm pretty sure I watched the guy's YouTube video on this exact thing.  Good stuff!  I'm applying this to the P4P, but the weather just went to crap.  Gotta wait to test...
Earlier today I did a Tripod Mode flight inspecting my gutters on my 2-story house.  I didn't feel that Tripod Mode was limiting the motion ENOUGH and definitely nothing with the gimbal.  So this is really good stuff!
2016-12-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-2 23:15
Thanks for re-posting this.  I'm pretty sure I watched the guy's YouTube video on this exact thing. ...

Good to hear that they help on the P4 as well, the OP did well passing this info' on. It's not overly complicated, but not something that most would dabble with if it weren't for these prompts.
2016-12-2
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-3 08:47
Good to hear that they help on the P4 as well, the OP did well passing this info' on. It's not ove ...

Aardvark, you are right - those settings are not something I would have played with as I did not understand what changing them would do. For me, when wanting to change something that I suspect is a variable, I look at the obvious (manual, settings & forum) but I am a 65 year newbie to flying and the terminology is something that Mr Google can only help so much with.  The suggested changes worked an absolute treat and proved once again what true value the forums are!
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-2 16:47
Good to hear that they help on the P4 as well, the OP did well passing this info' on. It's not ove ...

I haven't gotten to actually FLY with those settings yet.  The rain started & someone left the valve on or something!  I'll try those ASAP though, as I'm way too heavy handed & that's not gonna change.  I'm not too pleased with my lack of smoothness.
2016-12-2
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-11-12 12:54

Any of this relevant to a p3p?
2016-12-3
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

Have a look at comment #2 - the original post related to a P3 I think but same adjustments applied.
2016-12-3
Use props
Lethal
lvl.4
Australia

mrbill Posted at 2016-12-3 19:29

Have a look at comment #2 - the original post related to a P3 I think but same adjustments applied.
2016-12-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mrbill Posted at 2016-12-3 11:29

Yes , it's more about the fine adjustments of the App' itself, the basic functionality of P3, P4, Mavic are much the same.
2016-12-3
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Great post
2017-1-29
Use props
alexPhant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 475384 ft
Germany

i cannot change the exposistion settings through the dji go 4 app
i am currently using phantom 4 pro
2017-9-5
Use props
alexPhant
lvl.2
Germany

it always resets
2017-9-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try changing settings again, but only when all powered up and connected to aircraft. Click on the setting then delete existing and type in new values and use return key to set. And that should be it.
2017-9-5
Use props
alexPhant
lvl.2
Germany

it ******* worked !!!!! thanks you so much
2017-9-5
Use props
aerofart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427969 ft
United States

Yaw Endpoint basically cuts off the travel of the yaw stick.  So for example, if you move the stick all the way in one direction (100%), it really only counts it as 30% if you set your Yaw Endpoint to 30%.  This setting is great combined with EXP settings because basically, you get to take the shallow end of the EXP curve and "spread" it across the entire travel of your stick, and you'll never hit the steep end of the curve.

Here's an illustration of Yaw Endpoint applied to an EXP curve.  Applying this endpoint essentially stretches the curve between the two endpoints to the edges, eliminating the steep ends of the curve.  So you'll basically have very fine control of your aircraft over a very shallow curve.  End result: very smooth cinematic motion!
2018-1-28
Use props
TMLP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 843002 ft
  • >>>
Australia

or try Tripod mode, so smooth...
2018-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now