Landing in NAZA - Holding the stick down and shutting off motors
2265 23 2015-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

So a guy walks into a bar....

Sorry. P2V+ V1 - It seems between sleep and work when I get to try to study up on this wonderful world of NAZA, I see and/or hear people say that if you hold the stick (up/down) all the way down (below 10% I think I kept seeing) for 3 seconds, it will shut the motors off as if it had landed and you held it down for 3 seconds.
I don't recall this happening in Phantom mode, and don't think it did it while flying it once in NAZA mode (although the IOC had not been turned on in the SW). I think I always hold my stick all the way down when coming in. I usually have to come straight down due to trees.
Why would any configuration of the sticks cause the motors to stop while in the air? I would think this is generally a bad thing! Seems logical if it knows it has landed, but not in the air?  Yes?  No?
2015-2-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

If you move both sticks down and in the middle, it will shut down at any altitude, but if you are coming down with just the throttle stick, it won't shut off the motors until it senses no more downward movement, that is in Phantom or NAZA-M mode.
2015-2-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's logical in the sense that many people may have saved their "flyaways" by shutting the motors down. On the other hand, I suspect many crashes have been from people trying to madly do ANYTHING with the sticks and then end up doing that particular move.

I don't think DJI clearly documents that in their manuals - if so, could someone point me to it?
Here's the demo:
2015-2-7
Use props
Phantom2Flyer
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What will actually happen if you hold throttle 100% down for over 3 seconds while in the air is that it will go into landing mode. It will lock out any forward/back/left/right movements and begin to land on its own.
Even If you are speeding along while holding the throttle down for 3 seconds it will screech to a halt and start the landing procedure.
You can cancel by raising the throttle over 10%.

As stated it will only shut down the motors if it senses it has stop descending, ie it's touched the ground.

Doing the csc procedure (ie both sticks down and in etc) will shut off the motors no matter what.
2015-2-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Phantom2Flyer Posted at 2015-2-8 12:14
What will actually happen if you hold throttle 100% down for over 3 seconds while in the air is that ...

I came down from 600 feet at full down stick and forward movement for more than a minute and it never stopped forward movement and went to landing mode.  I had to circle the drive in so I wouldn't go over the trees.
2015-2-7
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

same for me gerry, i throttle down 100% plenty and never have it do anything at all EXCEPT AFTER it stops descending (ie on the ground) and then it shuts off after 3 secs.  in the air the throttle position never does anything other than normal throttle behavior without any relation to other control aspects.   
2015-2-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-8 12:45
same for me gerry, i throttle down 100% plenty and never have it do anything at all EXCEPT AFTER it  ...

Absolutely right.  
2015-2-7
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I understand throttle down to land and CSC to stop even in the air. But I wonder why they can't inactivate CSC shut off in the air.
2015-2-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-8 12:51
I understand throttle down to land and CSC to stop even in the air. But I wonder why they can't inac ...

You would be coming down while spinning left or right and moving backward while turning left or right.  I don't think anyone would ever do that maneuver.
2015-2-7
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

bill, it is really a safeguard of sorts... if, for some reason, you were in a situation where shutting off the motors was better than the alternative (like that video we saw with the little girls at the wedding).  i would always want an 'oh shit' switch (which csc basically is) to avoid injuring an innocent bystander at the expense of having to fix my phantom.  that, to me, is a reason to keep the functionality even if i could disable it.
2015-2-7
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-8 13:14
bill, it is really a safeguard of sorts... if, for some reason, you were in a situation where shutti ...

That is very true. I am glad throttle down will not totally slow down the props. Being a long time RC airplane pilot my instincts are to cut the throttle when in trouble.
2015-2-7
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The definitive answer is that the motors will not shut down if it is descending when holding the Throttle Full Down for over 3 seconds.  It will stop the motors only after it has no descent indication for 3 seconds. The PT2 has a default setting of Throttle "Intelligent". And not changeable by the PT2 software.

The controller can however be programmed to execute "Immediate" rather than "Intelligent" throttle shut down after 3 seconds in the air if you use the Naza Assistant Software rather than the PT2 software to program the Phantom.

It is a configuration setting that is not available in the PT2 assistant software.

I would not recommend doing this.

Cheers

2015-2-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Lets just stick to what the new owners CAN download with help.  They want to be up and flying and most are not rocket scientists or programmers.  That information is for the higher advanced people, not the newbies.  All that will do is just confuse them with information they don't need.  It's not on the download page so it doesn't pertain to what they can do with the default programs.  Stick to the basics
Fix their problem
Get them up and flying
get them to enjoy their phantom

All other information is non essential as to what they can do with the basic program.
2015-2-7
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-8 15:26
Lets just stick to what the new owners CAN download with help.  They want to be up and flying and mo ...

I don't disagree with you.

Unfortunately the site is not structured in such a way that you can different Newbies from Experienced RC pilots.

Or Basic Support from Advanced support. The site is a miasma of random threads.

I did post in a "random" thread that DJI should be looking at allocating Moderators from some of the longer serving members. I was thinking of you at the time.

You provide tremendous support for the newer members.

How do we provide education and information to the more advanced members, including those that are modifying their Phantoms.

Cheers

2015-2-8
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i think the relevance of knowing that the throttle down can be set to something other than intelligent isnt to help people know that is an option but to help them understand that they may see posts on this board about it shutting down midflight and knowing that it might have been that the people who are posting that did, in fact, change their software from the standard to the naza version.  then not knowing this info, you might get confused and think the standard has the same problem.  i wasnt aware of it frankly and it could very likely explain why some have 'seen' it happen and assumed that it would with stock when that is entirely not true.
2015-2-8
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Throttle straight down no problem, hold it down/left and you will initiate CSC, try it on the ground if you don't believe. This has been proven by a few people including myself. Pretty hard to do that combo while flying though.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Blackout Fearless Mini H Quad on 4S, Fearless 6mm Arms, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, NAZE32, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius (building)
Hubsan X4
Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-2-8
Use props
SuperSport
lvl.1

United States

Humboldt710 Posted at 2015-2-9 01:44
Throttle straight down no problem, hold it down/left and you will initiate CSC, try it on the ground ...

Even without using the Other Stick?  Only Left Stick Down/Left, and Right Stick centered?

I'm receiving my Vision + in a couple days, so I'm reading all I can before it arrives...  This would be good to know.
2015-2-8
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

On the ground, yes as you are holding the throttle down for 3 seconds, if you also have the left stick in yaw it makes no difference as you are still holding the throttle down.
It will NOT shut the motors off in the air.
2015-2-8
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.3

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-2-8 11:51
It's logical in the sense that many people may have saved their "flyaways" by shutting the motors do ...

i asked this question many moons ago. No responses.

OK, If the phantom  thinks its not decending and full throttle down  "3 seconds" the motors will shut down. fine.

But,, If a unusual situation occurs(vortex/up draft wind/stick commands or a combination) then in theory the phantom could hold its altitude while full throttle down, then the phantom might think its landed and turn off motors. ?
2015-2-8
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

tonyphantom147. Posted at 2015-2-9 03:53
i asked this question many moons ago. No responses.

OK, If the phantom  thinks its not decending ...

Unless your're flying in a tornado, it will decend by applying full throttle down.
2015-2-8
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

In THEORY almost anything is possible, however in practice throttle down for 3 seconds or more will NOT shut off the motors in flight.
There really is no need to keep coming up with imaginary scenario's as it only confuses the new pilots here.
2015-2-8
Use props
tonyphantom147.
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Like mentioned impossible to moderate. How ever I found my answer at last, seems my scenario is possible.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26928
2015-2-8
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

tonyphantom147. Posted at 2015-2-9 12:00
Like mentioned impossible to moderate. How ever I found my answer at last, seems my scenario is poss ...

Nice find tonyphantom147. I think I remember seeing this a few months ago.

My Hanger
Phantom 2 w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Blackout Fearless Mini H Quad on 4S, Fearless 6mm Arms, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, NAZE32, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius (building)
Hubsan X4
Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107D Non FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-2-8
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-9 04:45
In THEORY almost anything is possible, however in practice throttle down for 3 seconds or more will  ...

It's not supposed to. But, this guy says it happened:

2015-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules