Airport Question
1240 6 2016-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mdh222
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8652 ft
Canada

I tried to setup my Phantom 4 tonight, and it seems that since I live a few blocks away from an airport, the Phantom will not power up.

The town I live in has about 200 residents. We have an emergency runway for 737's. This has never been used to date. Our runway is mainly sponsored by our Air Force for Night Training Touch & Go's (from CYMJ, CFB Moose Jaw (15 Wing Moose Jaw). Night Flying up here is about 3 times a year. During the year about 50 aircraft (Flying Farmers) use the Aerodrome.

Most of the year it is just a waste of space (of course with the exception of it being an active Emergency Runway for 737's (from Calgary to Toronto (and visa-vera)).

Since CKQ5 (Lucky Lake) is a listed airport, and our town is like only a few blocks large for our 200 residents, is there any way I can test out my Phantom 4 at our ball parks? They are on the south side of town, clear of any air traffic. Any flight traffic flys from east to west, on the north side of town. No one ever flys over the town. As such, I wish not to obstruct any aircraft on the rare day that one would be in the neighbourhood.

Tonight, I was setting up my aircraft, and I noticed it had a red flag at the top left of the screen stating the aircraft was not ready to fly.

I tried to bypass this, by forcing an engine start.

What happened next was something I was not expecting (and there is NO information on this that I have come across).

A POPUP Menu came up and wanted me to enter either my VISA Card information OR to validate my SIM Card (Phone number assoicated with the SIM).

I entered my phone number, and it FAILED. I figure it wants my Dummy Phone Number that the phone company (SaskTel) issued my iPad Mini 4.

DJI Mindy (or anyone else), can you kindly explain what happened on my iPad??? And can anyone direct me to any legal text as to why DJI Go wanted either my Visa # or my SIM Phone #?????

I don't think I left out anything, other than a few important screenshots that may have assisted you further. If anyone needs some screenshots, I'll do my best to get some tomorrow in the daylight hours.

Thanks for reading

Michael
2016-11-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Michael, it's probably the GEO system.
You can unlock the Authorization Zone via DJI GO app which appear yellow in the DJI GO map.
Unlocking an Authorization Zone requires a DJI user account verified with a credit card, debit card or mobile phone number.
If you need to unlock a red zone, please contact flysafe@dji.com.
For further information, you could refer to our DJI website.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-11-12
Use props
mdh222
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Mindi, I have done so as requested. I have also shared my visa info... (Funny thing is you are informed that DJI does not store your information, and then on the other hand, it states that if DJI is requested by Law Enforcement, DJI will provide the authorities with your information you shared. Funny catch 22 if you ask me).

Since I cannot control the above, we need not even explain why. I just wanted to point that out. No further action is required. I consider it part of the Post 9/11 era.

Now onto more interesting information, my drone states it is in ATTI Mode! The switch is in P Mode on the controller. Any idea as to why this is?

My props have yet to start (Joysticks down and in).

Michael
2016-11-13
Use props
mdh222
lvl.2
Canada

Just a simple update.

It is 08:35 SAT (Central Time, Saskatchewan). I have just completed Phase I (Loading power to the props, aka Rotation of the Props). No flight, but just to see the props turn. This was completed successfully, I'm pleased to share.

All was a GO for Flight!

I will see if everything remains a GO when I bring the aircraft outdoors for a Test Flight on the property (Up 50' - 100' / East-West 75' / North-South 25'). If all is successful from there, then I shall test in the Ball Park close by. If this is a success, then I just may take a trip to a beautiful Geologic Formation (Near by).

BTW, I did not notice if the controller was in ATTI Mode? Will be more observant next time.

Michael
2016-11-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mdh222 Posted at 2016-11-13 14:42
Just a simple update.

It is 08:35 SAT (Central Time, Saskatchewan). I have just completed Phase I ( ...

If the aircraft were indoors and unable to receive the GPS signal, then it switches first to 'OPTI' mode (Using bottom Visual and Ultrasonic sensors to hold position and height) and to ATTI mode if not enough light, or too high for the visual positioning to work properly (>10m).
2016-11-13
Use props
mdh222
lvl.2
Canada

Aardvark, I had 10-12 Sats connected to the unit last night in the house. I figure once I entered my VISA info (over the Unsecured Line) I was able to see "Ready To Fly" and all was Green this morning.

Have not had any issues since. I have had 3 Test Flights on the property, and am working with gentle minor joystick movements. Launching (Vertical Lift) has been my most Excessive movement, as there is no obstructions in that direction. Bringing it down, I go fast (for a 1,001 - 1,002 count) then slow, just to ensure there is no false rotor shutdown of the props.

I was very impressed with the camera holding its pace, as the breeze picked up! You can see the aircraft drift, but looking at the iPad Mini 4's screen, you'd think it was just sitting on the deck!

This aircraft is extremely addictive!!! And should be a WARNING in BOLD on the outside of the box!

Michael
2016-11-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mdh222 Posted at 2016-11-13 16:44
Aardvark, I had 10-12 Sats connected to the unit last night in the house. I figure once I entered my ...

Sounds like it's good to go then. When landing best if you can get a piece of hardboard or whatever to land on, and shut off motors holding left stick full down as soon as landed. Once the aircraft detects that it is no longer moving down the motors shut off in about two seconds. I hand catch mine all the time, which is easy with practice but potentially dangerous.
It's a fantastic piece of kit, just don't get over enthusiastic, it only takes one crash to lose the lot

2016-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules