1450 6 2016-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am really confused...SO may people give different advise on when to calibrate or recalibrate.  The user manual clearly states to calibrate/recalibrate:
1.  When compass data is abnormal, and the aircraft status indicator is blinking red and yellow.
2.  When flying in a new location, or a location that is different from your last flight.
3.  When the mechanical structure of the Inspre 1 PRO has changed, i.e. changed mounting position of the compass.
4.  When severe drifting occurs in flight, i.e. the Inspire 1 PRO does not fly in stright lines.

Now, I'm mainly refering to #2...When flying in a new location or a location that is different from your (my) last flight...I have read that so many people do NOT do this unless they travel more then, for example, 150 miles...
It is my understanding that if I fly in an open location...go back the next day, next week, etc. to the same location, I do NOT need to recalibrate...BUT if I fly in one location, move to another location I need to recalibrate and if I go back to the original location I need to recalibrate again (regardless of if it is the same day or not).

So...if I go to a location, calibrate then go, say, a mile down from that same location then I need to recalibrate??

A lot of people say it is another thing that COULD go wrong because the aircraft is not calibrated correctly...There is only one way to calibrate it and the DJI-GO app and indicator lights would let you know, right?
IF you only calaibrate it once regardelss of when and were you fly next, and the DJI-GO app says its safe to fly, is this a risk that people are taking but not relizing it?
Is this a lazy thing?

DJI...can you please shead some light on this subject?

For the record...I do follow the manual as it states 1 through 4.  Again, DJI (or Donnie AKA Second Officer), please help??

2016-11-14
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

OK, for what it's worth ( and I have Never crashed or lost control of my aircraft ) I ONLY  do a compass calibration  after an update to the Aircraft, If I travel a long distance from my initial compass points at least 150 miles, or if it starts drifting on me .  In my opinion when you have a good solid Compass calibration you are just fine, doing it every-time you fly is asking for trouble .  

If I thought that calibrating the compass was the best thing I would do it .... believe me .... I have OCD ( Obsessive Compulsive Disorder ) and  MUST doing things in a certain order.  I am very dilligant about checking my props and locks and making sure I only fly with packs that are FULL.
And I always say , dont take my advice only , look  for  consensus among members and see what they all have  to say .  

First Officer , ( I got a raise in rank from Second Officer   )  

donnie

2016-11-15
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-16 02:21
OK, for what it's worth ( and I have Never crashed or lost control of my aircraft ) I ONLY  do  ...

Lol...OK 1st officer.

So far, it seems that I am the only one that does it everytime...I to have a little OCD in me.  I can't seem to get DJI to commit on this (I also posted on the P4).  Not sure why they won't comment on this subject.  Thanks again for the input.
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2016-11-17 04:59
Lol...OK 1st officer.

So far, it seems that I am the only one that does it everytime...I to have  ...

I'll comment, the Phantom series says to calibrate when gong to a new site. The Mavic says to calibrate when it asks you to.
Personally (not DJI) I know I have a perfect calibration and I only calibrate when I travel hundreds of miles away. The only slightest issue I've ever had is I calibrated a M600 in AZ and when I flew is California I forgot to calibrate the compass and I took off and it had a slight deviation when travelling forward.
2016-11-16
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-17 06:17
I'll comment, the Phantom series says to calibrate when gong to a new site. The Mavic says to cali ...

DJI-KEN!!!!

I am so THANKFUL you pulled through for me AND to shed some light on it.  I all ways read your commits on other issues and you seem to be the best/coolest DJI-person!!

Thank you so very much..that really helps out on what I am going to do from now on.

Bill
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2016-11-17 07:08
DJI-KEN!!!!

I am so THANKFUL you pulled through for me AND to shed some light on it.  I all ways  ...

No problem at all buddy, have a great rest of the week.
Also, I'm working so fast that I didn't even notice this was an Inspire thread, but same thing goes for the Inspires I fly.
2016-11-16
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2016-11-16 17:08
DJI-KEN!!!!

I am so THANKFUL you pulled through for me AND to shed some light on it.  I all ways  ...

Ken is a good one , If you ask him Direct he will normally answer if he is not to busy .

donnie
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules