Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Moral Question Is Multiple Ordering Wrong
1006 26 2016-11-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

While 100% of people on this forum would agree, while dji seems to be legally ok with holding people's money, Morally they are wrong

But for those ordering multiple orders from different vendors in the hope they can steal a march on others, of which there are openly many on this forum, have these people a moral question to answer,

If 20% of people double order they are indirectly causing delays for others, particularly due to the fact that dji doesn't seem to be able to keep up with early demand for Mavic.

Initially logistically it will cause delays to people who have stuck to ordering just from one vendor, and in some cases it will have a similar delay in those who have ordered from multiple vendors.

So for those who think dji are Morally wrong for there part in all of this. Is it a bit like kettle calling the pot Black..
2016-11-14
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Its it morally wrong to sell the brand new Mavic on ebay for 3 times the price?
2016-11-14
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

cluc Posted at 2016-11-14 19:07
Its it morally wrong to sell the brand new Mavic on ebay for 3 times the price?

Seller's market...   But it's pretty scummy to be ordering several for the sole purpose of reselling on eBay.
2016-11-14
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Schwavic Posted at 2016-11-15 11:14
Seller's market...   But it's pretty scummy to be ordering several for the sole purpose of reselli ...

totally agree!
2016-11-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

100% agree
2016-11-14
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

no one is forcing anyone to purchase these things at 3X the cost. blame it on hype.

when the apple pencil launched last year , the pencil was 100 bucks. people were buying them for 2-300 dollars on fleabay!

even cats on here are willing to buy ONE mavic battery for 200 dollars!

don't buy these things at these costs and the sellers will stop. speak with your wallet!

i don't think its morally wrong DJI  wants you to pay up front. like I have said on this forum, I have pre ordered many times, and some of those want up front payment. even american shops.

I have contributed to several projects on kickstarter and indiegogo and you must pay up front for those (assuming the project gets funded) and those take months to surface.

DJI can do what they want. If one does not like their rules regarding pre orders, then voice your distaste with your wallet. that speaks louder than posting on a forum.

this is my opinion and it may differ from others.
2016-11-14
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

Anything in short supply would create a blackmarket. People buying them however need to check if DJI allows the transfer of warranty and Refresh Care to subsequent owners. My local reseller says the warranty is only valid to the original purchaser.

2016-11-14
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

ENG101 Posted at 2016-11-14 20:01
Anything in short supply would create a blackmarket. People buying them however need to check if DJI ...

This has nothing to do with the black market...
2016-11-14
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

A fool and his money are soon parted. I hate scalpers but they will always exist when something sought after is in low availability.
2016-11-14
Use props
robble
lvl.2

United States

To answer the OPs actual question:
No, placing orders with several vendors hoping to get one as early as possible does not screw other customers.

I have preorders with 4 different vendors.  When the first preorder ships the other 3 will be canceled bumping all the following preorders up one slot.
It could certainly screw with DJIs projected sales though if they think every pre-order they see will be an actual sale.
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

robble Posted at 2016-11-15 10:18
To answer the OPs actual question:
No, placing orders with several vendors hoping to get one as earl ...

Yes people are bumped up if people cancel, but if a huge number double booked on say apple , the only people being bumped up would be those who booked with Apple, so now they have the stock, what about those waiting for there orders from dji, who may have ordered before those being bumped up by Apple.
So my thinking was that Ordering and supply become distorted, especially where shortage of the product is also a problem.
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

marctronixx Posted at 2016-11-15 04:46
no one is forcing anyone to purchase these things at 3X the cost. blame it on hype.

when the apple  ...

I think that dji decision to review the problem of taking full price of the order, speaks for itself, in my view if everyone paid upfront then we wouldn't have the problem of multiple orders, I personally don't have a problem with paying upfront, if I pay by PayPal or CC I'm covered if something goes tits up.
And if people want to buy multiple Mavic for resale, that's up to them,
2016-11-15
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Yes, it's morally wrong to order at several places, but it's also good that some do it. They will cancel the ones they don't need, someone else will buy it before it gets to be a day old. Making other Droners happy about the availability.
2016-11-15
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

ENG101 Posted at 2016-11-14 23:01
Anything in short supply would create a blackmarket. People buying them however need to check if DJI ...

By your local sellers logic, then he is the original buyer. I think it's like any product. The person who bought it and sends in the warranty card is the one with the warranty. Care Refresh is purchased from DJI when you activate it, if you want it.
2016-11-15
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440981 ft
United Kingdom

Good question hallmark although you should be enjoying the new surroundings!

I admit to having 1 direct DJI order and 1 with Amazon UK. Do I feel morally inadequate? Nope.

When I got a "guarantee" from Amazon customer service that delivery would be 4th Nov, I did actually request cancellation through DJI and then via Paypal after no initial response. Then DJI said I had to cancel my Paypal dispute for them to refund me (which was bull licks). By this time, I had my Amazon ETA pushed back and so decided to keep the DJI order.

If DJI stuck to THEIR promises or even provided some realistic estimates for individual orders (nearest week would be fine) then folk would not be hedging their bets. It is pretty clear that DJI want money over customer relations and thanks to their market position, they don't have to give a flying duck right now. DJI have caused this situation, not their customer base.
2016-11-15
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

The up side is that it inflates the perceived demand to DJI, and they work harder to ship more units. People who are ordering from multiple places to see which one ships first, and then cancelling the others, actually help the situation, for the end user waiting for their Mavic to arrive. But those who order multiple units early, for the sole purpose of gouging others to make a buck, are morally bankrupt at best. I hope that the floodgates open all at once, and those who ordered 10 units to flip them are stuck, and have no choice but to sell them as a loss, as they will likely have no warranty to the 2nd buyer in the chain.

I think the worst thing about all of this is that the market is going to be flooded with drones. Everyone is going to have one. And half of those people will have no regard for the rules (or laws, were applicable), causing law makers to over-react, and over restrict the usage of drones for those who are responsible. Or, maybe the whole drone thing is a fad, like roller blades, tiny cell phones, or tablet computers (iPad, Galaxy Tab, etc). For drone enthusiasts, the demand will continue, but for the everyday consumer that destroys their $1000 drone in the first week, the trend may pass quickly. It will be, "it broke too easy!" or "it's too complicated", or "it's too hard to fly", or "I can't get my videos to look like the professional videos I see on youtube" With the number of Mavics being sold, expect to see a lot of used ones on Ebay next fall. Some functional, some non-functional, purely for replacement parts.
2016-11-15
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-15 14:00
The up side is that it inflates the perceived demand to DJI, and they work harder to ship more units ...

Nice input. I agree.
2016-11-15
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, entering into an agreement with a person or business to purchase a product, knowing you have placed multiple orders and plan on canceling the majority of them, is wrong.  It doesn't benefit the company, it doesn't benefit the consumer, it doesn't help the market.  
2016-11-15
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My two orders are with DJI themselves and Amazon UK (not a 3rd party). Both Amazon and DJI were happy to mislead me as a customer by giving false information. I will cancel with the slower to despatch or if they both ship at the same time, I'll sell the spare at the price I paid.

I have to say that I would not do the same thing with smaller resellers but then again, I've not seen them lying about delivery times.
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

dana5 Posted at 2016-11-15 15:00
The up side is that it inflates the perceived demand to DJI, and they work harder to ship more units ...

I agree a lot of newcomers will crash wither and die, and move on to the next big thing, hopefully they don't leave a trail of despair in there wake.
Most of the frustration around shipping and delivery first come first served , will be laid at dji's door and I have to say rightly so.
But I'm sure most will stick with it, and will not forget when it comes to future events..
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

symbol Posted at 2016-11-15 14:58
Good question hallmark although you should be enjoying the new surroundings!

I admit to having 1 di ...

I'm sitting in a bar in the Centre of Budapest, sipping a pint, looking out on the wonderful Christmas markets, while my wife and daughter are doing what they do best shopping.

100% of the blame lies at dji's door for this one, and I'm thinking it may get worse before it gets better,
2016-11-15
Use props
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

The only reason I have done it is because Newegg said it was in stock and would ship in a few days. I still have not received anything saying otherwise.

But it is more morally wrong to promise something to a paying customer then ignore them after that. Like first come first serve for example.
2016-11-15
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

I have orders with three different vendors and those orders will do nothing but reduce the lead time for others. If DJI believes they have a greater demand than is reality they would ideally bump their production to meet that demand (which they are of course not doing). As others have said, once I receive shipping confirmation of one order I will cancel the others and those waiting will get bumped up.
2016-11-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Hungary

jvanderhoff Posted at 2016-11-15 17:44
I have orders with three different vendors and those orders will do nothing but reduce the lead time ...

It may very well do that in the long run, but in the present circumstances where there are serious shortages the people being bumped up are not necessarily those who are waiting the longest.
2016-11-15
Use props
symbol
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2016-11-15 16:28
I'm sitting in a bar in the Centre of Budapest, sipping a pint, looking out on the wonderful Chris ...

Don't mention the "C" word or you'll have me up a ladder hanging mine on the guttering far too early!

Hope you are having a great time!
2016-11-15
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

It's business. Morals don't enter the equation.
2016-11-15
Use props
ENG101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19642 ft
New Zealand

Schwavic Posted at 2016-11-15 17:05
This has nothing to do with the black market...

Yes. A grey market is a better description see http://forum.dji.com/thread-72464-1-1.html
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules