Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
M600 and Ronin MX Horizon Drift
3817 17 2016-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

Hello DJI Support,

Do you have any tips on power on/off, calibration, or other tricks and steps in order to make sure that the Ronin MX do not drift when panning ?

I have tried cold M600 A3 IMU calibration , Ronin MX Gimbal calibration away from all electronics in a perfectly balance platform. It didn't helped. The balancing of the gimbal is perfect as the balance test with DJI assistant shows Tilt and Roll balance "Excellent" . I have also tried auto tune stability, DJI stock DSLR and mirrorless profiles, yet the horizon drift problem stays. I am not sure if the CANlink solution is working with Ronin MX.

To Forum members,

Anyone having  [backcolor=rgba(88, 144, 255, 0.14902)]Horizon Drift issues with M600+Ronin MX setup? Did anyone found any tricks to fix it?

2016-11-16
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI- your response please!
2016-11-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, is it drifting at start up or only when you attempt to pan with the RC? Are you using a single operator or dual operator M600? Could you happen to provide a small video of how it behaves?
2016-11-18
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

single operator ... yes its drifting when panning or when yawing the m600.

2016-11-18
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-19 10:17
Just to clarify, is it drifting at start up or only when you attempt to pan with the RC? Are you usi ...

have you see the drift issue?
2016-11-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

spreadingwingss Posted at 2016-11-19 11:45
single operator ... yes its drifting when panning or when yawing the m600.

https://www.youtube.com/ ...

In the first video, was the drifting at the 0:57 - 1:03 mark? For the second video was it 0:56 - 1:08 and 1:27 -1:40, there abouts? I just want to make sure I'm on the same page.
2016-11-22
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-23 07:34
In the first video, was the drifting at the 0:57 - 1:03 mark? For the second video was it 0:56 - 1 ...

Yes, you will see horizon is not level every time the gimbal pans.
2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

spreadingwingss Posted at 2016-11-23 08:06
Yes, you will see horizon is not level every time the gimbal pans.

Just to clarify, are both the Ronin and the M600 up to date with the latest firmware?
2016-11-23
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-24 01:33
Just to clarify, are both the Ronin and the M600 up to date with the latest firmware?

yes, the issue remains with all firmwares till date. All my customers are having the same issue as well. The inputs from A3 via canlink to Ronin MX is not helping to maintain the horizon. Also, as you falsely advertised that GPS units is inbuilt, i would like to know when the GPS unit will be released.
2016-11-23
Use props
Krankie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

THE ANSWER

Ok so you're gonna want to update your firmware and make sure it's working properly on both the RoninMx and M600.  Once that is done and configured,  you will need to uninstall it,  downgrade it all,  because it likely won't be compatible with both units, only one of them (oh yeah dont forget to buy a PC b/c ios has only a 50% chance of reading the M600).    Prior to the installation process of the Ronin-MX, you will need to de-assemble,  order a vibration dampener, and then install and uninstall everything once again so you can make sure you have a clear slate to update the firmware that came out between the time you ordered the vibration dampener and the time you received it.  After installation and firmware updates are complete, make sure you calibrate everything correctly via the DJI Assistant 2 application and by twirling around in circles.  Remember, plug in random numbers since we are throwing the book on aerodynamics out the window--this puppies a free for-all and all numbers are invited..  From here you want to spend approximately 2-3 months tweaking every detail in order to get the machine flying just right with absolutely no vibration,  a nice tilt,  and a silky smooth pan.  If this will not work,  repeat the above processes several times and call a DJI technician so he can tell you just to send it in, why would he know anything, he just works there..  After you decide not to send it in, because you actually need it for work purposes and it should be a simple fix, simply start back down your checklist and try and find absolutely everything it could be.  Perhaps your configuration is wrong,  hell who knows, it could have all been absolutely correct and fixed in your latest firmware update..., but you'll never know.   Anyways,  let's get back to trying to fix this wonderful marvel.  It's Thanksgiving after all and we can at least give thanks that we've had plenty of time with our M600 drone these last few months.  Time away from our friends and family in order to get this "ready to fly drone" ready to fly..  Oh yeah, you'll never get that time back baby!!   Where were we?  Oh yeah, the  horizon issue, or was it the drifiting?  Well that's probably a simple compatibility issue.  Just bind the Ronin MX with your M600, do another IMU calibration (especially if you are in the Australian bushland where there so much interference) and do another balance test on your RoninMX (that you just upgraded to because in the launch video it was incredibly easy to get that RED Cam on it....Dang it, I sold my original Ronin a little too soon for a massive loss, bummer) and hopefully you will get it in the range where you can fly your drone with some consistency.  After all steps are completed on the M600+RoninMX easy fly demonstration video that DJI has recently not provided,  throw this drone in to the garbage and buy the M600Pro.  Once you have the M600Pro in hand,  check out every possible configuration and modification, tracing it back step by step, and then you will finally have your answer as to why your horizon wasn't maintained on your initial unit.
Please do not forget to thank DJI Professional Services M600 Phone support (coming in 2018?)  for the time you got to spend with their M600 drone trying to fix both vibration, drifting, and horizon issues.  The M600, it's the total piece!!

2016-11-24
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

Any update?
2016-11-25
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

have you found where the problem is?
2016-11-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

spreadingwingss Posted at 2016-11-29 20:58
have you found where the problem is?

Based on what I have thus far, it could be either with an issue with the MX's IMU or the canlink from the M600 to the MX is not fully there, as you mentioned earlier. Just to get a little more info, do you get this horizon drift when you're using the Ronin MX as a ground unit? What gimbal working mode are you using in the videos you provided? It would help to pinpoint where it's coming from.
2016-11-29
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-30 04:45
Based on what I have thus far, it could be either with an issue with the MX's IMU or the canlink f ...

Canlink cable is connected all the time. The drift is always there when using handheld as you don't have any GPS unit (which you falsely advertised) inside the Ronin MX. There is no component in MX which can correct horizon drift when used handheld.

Canlink Cable is connected from M600 and since there is no special Aerial mode in DJI Assistant software, i leave the settings at default. I have tried DSLR , Mirrorless and auto-tune profiles.
2016-11-30
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-30 04:45
Based on what I have thus far, it could be either with an issue with the MX's IMU or the canlink f ...

Also, i can control the gimbal and change settings using DJI Go App which only works is canlink is properly connected.
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

spreadingwingss Posted at 2016-12-1 08:51
Canlink cable is connected all the time. The drift is always there when using handheld as you don' ...

I believe that there may have been some misunderstanding. The introductory video indicates that the Ronin MX communicates to the A3's GPS and compass for additional stabilization when connected to the M600. It was not advertised as having it's own built in GPS module:
Ronin MX GPS.JPG

There was an optional GPS module that was in the works for using the Ronin with other fast moving vehicles, but that has yet to be released. When used as a ground unit, it does not need a separate GPS module. It's able to stay level with it's own internal IMU and GCU. Given what you're experiencing on both the M600 and on the ground, this may be a IMU issue with the Ronin itself that I would recommend sending the it in for further evaluation and repair.
2016-12-1
Use props
spreadingwingss
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-2 03:04
I believe that there may have been some misunderstanding. The introductory video indicates that the Ronin MX communicates to the A3's GPS and compass for additional stabilization when connected to the M600. It was not advertised as having it's own built in GPS module:
[view_image]

Thanks, i will send the MX for repair.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans894ce917
New
Flight distance : 2947946 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Every single DJI gimbal I have ever owned has had horizon drift on panning.  Unfortunately they are also the best at stabilisation so I just fix in post.
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules