Mavic controller charging the connected phone..
12Next >
12417 56 2016-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ronnietong
New

Singapore

I uses the Xperia X as the connected phone to the Mavic.
I notice that my phone shows charging status when it is connected to the Mavic controller.
I assume the controller is charging my phone.

Is this normal?

I do not want the phone to drain off the controller battery.
Especially when I am flying and in low battery scenario.
I may lose the controller due to draining by the phone.

Anyway to stop the controller from charging the phones?

Thanks!
2016-11-16
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Which port on the controller are you using...?
2016-11-16
Use props
fans766ba4c0
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-11-16
Use props
CADDJockey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 163934 ft
United States

If you are worried about that, maybe you can plug a mini portable charging device into the bottom USB port?  Just a thought.
2016-11-16
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

I dont think there is much you can do about it, but I would not be overly concerned. I can run all three batteries consecutively through my Mavic, comprising over an hour of flight time and the controller charge level is still around 40%. So even if some charge is going to my S7 edge it is B All. If you drag down on the android screen from the top while the phone is on and connected you usually get a "connected to USB" dialog with some settings. But while I can change it from charging to other options, this has no obvious effect.  OTOH I am sceptical as to whether it is really charging the phone much at all. More of a software issue & I simply ignore it.
2016-11-16
Use props
ronnietong
New

Singapore

Using the port with the supplied cable. The micro USB port.

Thanks guys for all your sharing.
2016-11-17
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

I am also interested in knowing if you can turn off the phone-charging feature?
2016-11-17
Use props
TheFrenchMan
lvl.1

United States

The controller doesn't charge my iPhone. When I first connect it, something happens because I get the connecting my charger sound from my phone and I get the little lighting bolt for a second. It switches back after. I think it's just connecting to the phone.
2016-11-17
Use props
cassiomolin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 250259 ft
United Kingdom

Any updates on how to prevent Android devices from charging when connected to the controller?
2016-12-6
Use props
Yhadar
lvl.3
Israel

TheFrenchMan Posted at 2016-11-17 13:22
The controller doesn't charge my iPhone. When I first connect it, something happens because I get the connecting my charger sound from my phone and I get the little lighting bolt for a second. It switches back after. I think it's just connecting to the phone.

same with me
2017-3-21
Use props
fans16b1ee0d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 158632 ft
Australia

cassiomolin Posted at 2016-12-6 05:51
Any updates on how to prevent Android devices from charging when connected to the controller?

+1 Please allow option to disable the controller from charging our phones!
2017-3-23
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5858166 ft
United States

I wish there was a place in the developer options on Android to do this
2017-3-23
Use props
1DwqD6CsRmDk
New
Russia

I have same problem With SONY XZ. RC is charging my phone and I cant disable that.
2017-4-9
Use props
Emi27
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222805 ft
Netherlands

1DwqD6CsRmDk Posted at 2017-4-9 05:11
I have same problem With SONY XZ. RC is charging my phone and I cant disable that.

Same with me. I have a One Plus One. The DJI Go 4 app works fine. No app crashes until now, but it charges my phone.

Only 4-5 flights I can do with a full remote. And is really annoying.

With iPhone: full flight, 5 % drop in remote state of charge
With Android: full flight, 25 % drop in remote state of charge

Again, is really annoying. Any updates?
2017-4-14
Use props
RAID
New
Russia

+100500!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please make a function to disable phone charging!!!
2017-4-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

If someone sold a data only cable for the mavic I.e without the problem nas for power in the cable, we would not have this problem.
2017-4-16
Use props
fans2718c0d5
New

United Kingdom

DJI Devs, please allow us to disable charging. My phone is sucking th RC dry.;
2017-6-10
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-11-16 08:03
If you are worried about that, maybe you can plug a mini portable charging device into the bottom USB port?  Just a thought.

Are you sure the RC can be recharged using the bottom USB port?

2017-6-10
Use props
carlodf
New
Italy

This also happens to me when I plug in either the tablet or the smartphone both android after about 35 minutes of flight controller exhaust almost completely despite the connected androids were loaded at 100%
2017-6-11
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Connect Phone to bottom connector and connect a powerbank to top connector. Powerbank charges RC and the RC charges the Phone...
2017-6-11
Use props
carlodf
New
Italy

I did it yesterday, power bank 8800 mah connected to the micro plug and tablet samsung Tab S connected to the usb. Apart from the uncomfortable thing to hold the controller and the power in the hands, there is also the fact that the DJI strongly recommends doing such a thing.
2017-6-11
Use props
carlodf
New
Italy

This only happens with Android, with Apple does not happen unless you can get it, if it exists, a usb - micro usb data only
2017-6-11
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

You can buy a new cable, unfasten the outer casing lightly with a cutter and cut the red, green and white threads are for data, I have not tested but I will do so soon
2017-6-11
Use props
carlodf
New
Italy

I'll do the same
2017-6-11
Use props
fansf58d5a6a
New
United States

Has anyone tried the cut the red wire in the cable to stop the charging yet? I just ordered some to try and will let everyone know soon.
2017-8-2
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1398 ft
Australia

fansf58d5a6a Posted at 2017-8-2 16:12
Has anyone tried the cut the red wire in the cable to stop the charging yet? I just ordered some to try and will let everyone know soon.

I've just tried to cut the black wire - which didn't seem to stop charging - as per a youtube video I saw..
I then reinstated the black wire and tried cutting the red wire.  Cutting the red wire prevents the phone from detecting it is connected to anything.  

The phone is a Samsung S7

Neither option is viable

Has anyone found a hardware or software solution for this?
The only option I've heard is to use an app to disable USB charging  but they all seem to require ROOT which is not something I'm interested in doing (again)
2017-8-14
Use props
kray3434
New
Flight distance : 17874 ft
United States

are you serious???  There's got to be a better answer....maybe in the phone?  A way to disable USB charging?  This is really eating up my remote's battery, and btw, is there a way to have backup power for the remote?
2017-8-29
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

The problem with RC charging the phone is tat it will overheat my phone and cause the OS to crash…
I am currently using Xiaomi Note 3 Android and from YouTube I saw this guy using USB-MicroUSB cable then cut away the small black cable inside and showed that it works. I did the same but it doesn't. I am having the same configuration as he is… now I haf 1 less working data cable.
2017-9-11
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

fansa176e567 Posted at 2017-8-14 01:40
I've just tried to cut the black wire - which didn't seem to stop charging - as per a youtube video I saw..
I then reinstated the black wire and tried cutting the red wire.  Cutting the red wire prevents the phone from detecting it is connected to anything.  

Yes I did the same… I solder it back to see if it works but it didn't… this fellow is playing trick on us in YouTube?
2017-9-11
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

Please DJI can either come out a solution for us or a cable which we can purchase…
I dun wished to get an iPhone for that purpose…
Or any kind soul can have a solution to it…
I would be very grateful…
2017-9-11
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

CADDJockey Posted at 2016-11-16 08:03

Doesn't work... RC can only be charged via the USB side port...

Only android devices are charged via RC, iOS devices not. Someone suggested to cut some wires of the USB-cable to prevent charging of the phone, but nobody told which wires and if it really works.

Others suggest to connect device via the bottom USB-port and use a Powerbank to charge the RC. Someone from DJI replied on that, that charging the RC during use would damage the RC.
2017-9-11
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

Mari Posted at 2017-9-11 08:23

Only android devices are charged via RC, iOS devices not. Someone suggested to cut some wires of the USB-cable to prevent charging of the phone, but nobody told which wires and if it really works.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xw0seY4t2dM

Tis fellow… did but I wonder if it's real…
I tried but failed…
Hope there is another solution…
2017-9-11
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

Did some searching on the web and found the following...

https://stackoverflow.com/questi ... ndroid-usb-charging

Do think that the guy in the video is using a rooted phone and an app to disable charging via USB...
2017-9-11
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

Mari Posted at 2017-9-11 08:46
Did some searching on the web and found the following...

https://stackoverflow.com/questi ... ndroid-usb-charging

The best way is to ask the Dev team of DJI to come out a solution…
As they designed the hardware and know wats going on in there…
Let our request be heard.
2017-9-13
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

I'm not sure if DJI can come with a solution for this... Android devices accept to be charged on very low current, therefore I think the device should be the one that has to reject it is charged...

Most of the time I use an iOS device, that is not charged via the RC...
2017-9-13
Use props
Tubarao
lvl.1
Brazil

I have the same issue. Are there some news about it from DJI?
2017-9-13
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

... maybe one of the moderators can forward it to the technical department...
2017-9-13
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Japan

Mari Posted at 2017-9-13 08:25
I'm not sure if DJI can come with a solution for this... Android devices accept to be charged on very low current, therefore I think the device should be the one that has to reject it is charged...

Most of the time I use an iOS device, that is not charged via the RC...

Ya… maybe can add some resistor or diode to limit the current. Anyone knows how to get this issue to the technical team of DJI please do so… till then my Mavic Pro is grounded…
2017-9-13
Use props
Osee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-9-11 08:23

Sounds like a DJI problem - if charging the RC during usage could damage it then there should be circuitry  in the unit to prevent charging while it is operational .

I suppose the damage is conditional to how much current flows through the first stages of the charge path .  The charge current would need to supply full power for operation of the RC and the phone and charge both batteries at the same time .  

When both units are fully charged - it will probably not draw too much current to have a charger connected - but if the batteries of the RC and the phone are low - then you will have a situation where a greater amount of current may flow through the charge port of the RC than it is designed to handle .

I have connected a supply battery to the charge port of the controller while in use and I have read of several other pilots doing the same .

I speculate that if you connect your charge cable to the RC when it and the phone are fully charged that you probably will not have any problems - unless the battery charge on the RC and / or the phone go down sufficiently to cause excessive draw on the the charger connected to the RC - thereby creating an over-current condition at the first stage of the RC charge path .

There are three simple solutions -
put a stronger component in the RC to handle the current needed to charge the RC, phone and both batteries ...
or as has been previously suggested ->
put an option to shut off the charging of the phone !
or disable the RC from accepting a charge while it is in operation .

I vote for the first two solutions or at least the second one - the last solution would be the worst .

2017-9-14
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hi guys…
Juz to share…
I managed to get online technical support for tis issue…
According to DJI it's a known issue…
And the technical support are aware of it… and had feedback to their development team…
However, I am not sure if they will rectify the problem…
If many of us feedback to them, I guessed they will do somethg about it or come out with some solution.
So please help to get in contact with them here…

http://www.dji.com/mobile/support/product/mavic

Until then, perhaps I shall get an old iPhone for the purpose…
Charging my android phone will heat up and crash my phone… it's a recipe for disaster…
Better ground my Mavic Pro for now…
2017-9-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules