Mavic controller charging the connected phone..
12423 56 2016-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

On Android just pull the notification tray down while this is happening and choose data instead of charging.....
2017-9-19
Use props
Osee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

Jase Teo Posted at 2017-9-19 08:06
Hi guys…
Juz to share…
I managed to get online technical support for tis issue…

I have an idea for an experiment for SOMEONE to try ->

Try connecting the phone to the RC without a battery .  You should get power to the phone but no danger of having the RC power the phone AND charge the phone battery at the same time - and no issue with the phone battery overheating .

In this scenario - if the RC is fully charged - then supplying charge power to the RC will only need to power RC and the phone and hopefully not exceed power level of RC first stage charge path .

I know it is probably a dumb idea for various reasons - but some people are not afraid to experiment with ideas like that .  If I had a phone that was overheating while connected to the RC, I might even try it .
2017-9-21
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

Osee Posted at 2017-9-21 06:51

Try connecting the phone to the RC without a battery .  You should get power to the phone but no danger of having the RC power the phone AND charge the phone battery at the same time - and no issue with the phone battery overheating .

Just turn it off like i suggested........... 2 posts up
2017-9-21
Use props
LightningShark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1398 ft
Australia

rolling56 Posted at 2017-9-21 08:14
Just turn it off like i suggested........... 2 posts up

What you are suggesting doesn't work.
Doesn't matter what USB mode the phone is in - it still charges
2017-9-27
Use props
LightningShark
lvl.2
Australia

Osee Posted at 2017-9-21 06:51

Not a bad suggestion if someone with a phone with a removable battery wants to give it a go...
It might reduce the power drain on the transmitter, but it will still drain that battery

Sadly a lot of newer phones, you cannot take the battery out (my S7 included)
2017-9-27
Use props
sigkill
lvl.2
Canada

I have read we cant just cut the +5v line in the USB cable, because the RC will no longer see the phone. Possibly a resistor could be installed inline +5v, allowing the RC to see the phone, but severely restricting the charge rate. A simple potentiometer could be used to find the correct resistor value. You could sell these special cables on ebay and make enough money to buy lunch for that cute girl at the grocery store.
2017-9-27
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
United States

LightningShark Posted at 2017-9-27 00:29
What you are suggesting doesn't work.
Doesn't matter what USB mode the phone is in - it still charges

Works for my Nexus 6 OS 7.1.1 and Pixel XL OS 8.0 If i don't switch it my phones will get really hot. When i do switch it to "Data" then they stay warm to the touch. It is so minimal charging, i really could care less just so my phones don't get hot.
2017-9-29
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
Singapore

Hello… I'm back! After emailing the guy who did the mod on the USB data cable, I found a solution!

As the online youtube tutorial indicates…
- To cut the black wire

My own mod was to add a ON/OFF switch between the 2 ends of the cut black wire. Although I did not try it on the RED +5v wire, the guy who did tis has told me he tried all but the Black one works.

How it works, u turn ON (connect) the switch. This would be the same as normal operation of the USB cable.
Once the phone indicated it was in the charging process, u will invoke the DJI apps. Once everythg seems working. U turn OFF the switch (disconnect the power) . The phone will not be charge but the program will still run smoothly.

Wat I reckon was the phone has to be "tricked" into knowing the controller was connected and then the program will start delivering data across the data cables to & fro. Once connection is established. Even then u switch off the power line to the power, the data will still be streaming.

Things to note, the data cable u used must be a good quality type. Preferably original data cable from the phone manufacturer. As other OEM manufacturers might not do a good job on the internal connection of the cable.

2nd most important thgs to note is that u MUST make sure there is nothing connected to the original Micro-USB socket on the top left side of the controller. Else it will not work.

I hope my tips works on ur own mod. I will do a field test soon to see how well it fair.
IMG_20171012_094426.jpg
2017-10-11
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

no option to disable charging phone on Android
2017-10-11
Use props
Mitch72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69213 ft
United Kingdom

Mine does the same on the samsung s8+ . . . If your phone has a fast charge option, just make sure that is turned off when you are connected.... But like others have already mentioned, you will run out of batteries for the drone before your controller runs dry... I fly with 3 batteries and the controller doesn't even hit 50%...
2017-10-11
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

rolling56 Posted at 2017-9-19 08:19
On Android just pull the notification tray down while this is happening and choose data instead of charging.....

I get this notifications to, works on Samsung A5 (2017) android 7
2017-10-11
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
United States

"Mitch72
Mine does the same on the samsung s8+ . . . If your phone has a fast charge option, just make sure that is turned off when you are connected.... But like others have already mentioned, you will run out of batteries for the drone before your controller runs dry... I fly with 3 batteries and the controller doesn't even hit 50%.."

Mitch so does the controller charge ur S8plus in the end?
2017-12-7
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
United States

Mitch72 Posted at 2017-10-11 21:52
Mine does the same on the samsung s8+ . . . If your phone has a fast charge option, just make sure that is turned off when you are connected.... But like others have already mentioned, you will run out of batteries for the drone before your controller runs dry... I fly with 3 batteries and the controller doesn't even hit 50%...

So does ur controller charge ur S8+ in the end?
2017-12-7
Use props
Mitch72
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69213 ft
United Kingdom

Jase Teo Posted at 2017-12-7 07:46
So does ur controller charge ur S8+ in the end?

It continues to charge it all the time it is connected to the controller, soon as i have ran out of drone batteries it gets unplugged, I haven't left in to see if it will give the phone a full charge.
2017-12-16
Use props
djiuser_NK4PiKS
New

Vietnam

Any updates on how to prevent Android devices from charging when connected to the controller?
2017-12-21
Use props
Jase Teo
lvl.1
China

djiuser_NK4PiKS Posted at 2017-12-21 23:32
Any updates on how to prevent Android devices from charging when connected to the controller?

No… my little project on the mod cable doesn't work well…
So I ended up getting a Wunderphone Huawei Elate (another model is Huawei Ascend XT2) and it works perfectly ok… as it doesn't drain much of the battery power from the controller… and a dedicated screen for a cheap price…
2018-1-12
Use props
LightningShark
lvl.2
Australia

Jase Teo Posted at 2018-1-12 09:25
No… my little project on the mod cable doesn't work well…
So I ended up getting a Wunderphone Huawei Elate (another model is Huawei Ascend XT2) and it works perfectly ok… as it doesn't drain much of the battery power from the controller… and a dedicated screen for a cheap price…

Oh damn. I just read your mod of the cable using the switch and got a bit hopeful. Sad to hear it's problematic.

This is still a problem DJI...are you listening? Any updates?
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules