Winter is Coming...
1124 11 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
justflie
lvl.2

United States

I live in New England and we actually get a winter up here. As time drags on waiting for my pre-order to ship, I'm beginning to consider how much real flying time is left before the Spring. I think I'll be putting a line in the sand for my ship date. If it doesnt ship by then, I'll cancel and wait for version 2 (hopefully in mid-to-late Spring 17).

Anyone else in the same boat?
2016-11-17
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Yep, same over here.
2016-11-17
Use props
justflie
lvl.2

United States

At this rate, it might be a line in the snow. I was thinking 4 December. I'd like to hear what others are thinking as well. FYI, ordered a fly more bundle from drone-world on 4 Oct.
2016-11-17
Use props
MavicPro
lvl.2

United States

If I hadnt pre ordered my Mavic at a great reduced price I would have cancelled without doubt and waited now. We've got a good solid 4 months of crap weather on the way and very little oppotunity to fly. But a re-order could cost me £300 more now
2016-11-17
Use props
fans4287815f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14196 ft
Malaysia

Yep, rainy season coming and the thing is entirely NOT waterproof or even mildly water resistant, so would be useless to me if I had it.

It might get damp.
2016-11-17
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

If your used to using lipos then winter flying isn't a problem I fly my racing quad in winter and not had a problem as long as you keep your batteries warm and reduce your distance then you should have fun.
2016-11-17
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'm in the same boat, I live up here in Maine. I ordered on Nov. 5th. No big deal, I'm not expecting it soon, and most likely will get it near or in Spring. If it comes early, I'll take it out if it reaches 40 degrees.
2016-11-17
Use props
Soulhawk
lvl.1
United States

I feel your pain...I live in Mass and just got mine last Thursday (ordered on 10/1 directly through DJI) and due to my work schedule I can only fly on weekends only and with my luck we only have about 3 weeks left before we get snow here.

My advice is if you bought the DJI Care Refresh plan to maybe wait until Spring time because there's no use wasting 3 months of the plan with it sitting in a box. Personally I have not experienced any problems flying and love my Mavic but if you wait until Spring at least they will not be backordered batteries and you might have some nice aftermarket accessories online...
2016-11-17
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Time to move to California. Winter doesn't exist here unless you want it to (go to the mountains). Otherwise, everything turns greener and prettier during winter.
2016-11-17
Use props
Nicodema
lvl.4
Flight distance : 90259 ft
United Kingdom

Ignore post, failed to read properly
2016-11-17
Use props
Spiderpig
lvl.2

United States

I'm in PA and next week is suppose to start getting cold.  But the real question is - can the Mavic handle winter?  I see videos of drones chasing people down ski slopes - so you'd think it would be able to handle some of the winter climate given no rain or two heavy of wind.
2016-11-17
Use props
justflie
lvl.2

United States

Soulhawk, where in MA? Framingham here.

I spoke with drone-world today. I should have my bundle end of Nov/early Dec. I'll wait. That's close enough. I've flown my F550 in the winter before so why not the Mavic? I'll be super conservative with flight times, keep the battery warm, and not push the throttle too hard. One of the DJI guys posted a nice winter flying guide on the forum. I'll need to read that more carefully when the time comes.
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules