Mavic or Phantom 4 Pro?
1631 8 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobABooey
lvl.2
United States

I pre-ordered the Mavic Pro Fly More Combo $1299 from Amazon, After $40 off for signing up for and then 5% off for using the Amazon Prime Card my total for the Mavic was $1196.05.

The new Phantom 4 Pro $1799 with 2 batteries $338, Charging Hub $90, 2 sets of Propellers $18 and a 3% bank charge for buying from dji.com for a total of $2312.35

Thats a big jump in money for the Phantom, and I still don't get as much stuff as I would get with the "Fly More Combo" (bag, car charger, usb charger) Do you think its that big of a difference in video quilty for me to switch? I do like the 5 direction obstacle sensing it has also...

Here is a sample of what i video with my P3S, No one really looks at my stuff anyway I  do just for fun so I'm thinking maybe just staying with the mavic...

2016-11-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I discovered this just an hour ago, a nice demonstration of how the P4 Pro compares to the P4 in low light.

2016-11-17
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Hi BobaBooey,

It's a tough decision, but it comes down to personal Preference in the End.

What is your Priority?
-Portability (Mavic), Image Quality (P4Pro)

Even though the Lens is better in the P4P, most people Edit their videos anyway in Post after uploading them on their PCs.
From there if you have the skills, you can make your video from the Mavic look like it's comming from a P4P, an un-trained eye i bet won't notice the difference.

For me personally what i noticed so far (it depends, some people might have different views on this)
While flying, the Mavic almost never has any Props in the Video, a very big Plus. The P4P unfortunately still has them, or so i saw in 2 videos.

For people that live in Europe and don't want to purchase 100+EUR Antennas for their RC because flying in crappy ********(CE) Limits them, the Mavic is better (theoratically) 20 dBm / 100mW.
While the P4P = 17 dBm / 50mW.

Now of course, the P4P has 360 ° Avoidance, it's a big plus to the people that are afraid of crashing, or even for trained Operators while making backwards shots.

Another thing is, the Mavic is new. You see in the Mavics section quite some people have problems. (Dirty Lens, Gimbal Problems, and now lately Mavics falling out from the Sky (Hi Karma).
Phantom Series are more Mature and the ESCs and Motors are Mature and DJI has a lot of experience with them.

But in the End, you decide

2016-11-17
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Why do you want to replace your P3? The answer might help you decide what to replace it with.
2016-11-17
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

The 360 obstacle avoidance and major camera improvements would make it an easy choice for me.  The Mavic has  greater portability  If you want something to take backpacking or hiking get the mavic.  If you want a state of the art Ariel camera platform with a mechanical shutter, 1" sensor and variable aperture (just to name a few) get the P4P.
2016-11-17
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

The 20mp camera is going to be a huge upgrade I think and better low light performance if you plan on taking lots of pictures. The maturity of the phantom line as Ange1walk mentioned is the second main reason I would go with the P4P over the mavic.
2016-11-17
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you want the best image capture the p4pro is a no brainer.

if you care about low light performance, mechanical shutter, get the p4pro.

if you want hobby level performance and portability, get the mavic.

i need the best image capture and the p4pro fits that bill much more than the mavic. i cancelled my 9/29 order and picked up the phantom.
2016-11-17
Use props
QQpK6lwoeYHJ
New

Canada

I would wait the year or so till either are available .
2016-11-17
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sine you said you just do it for fun I would say stick with the Mavic. You'll probably use it more often because it's easier to bring around and when the goggles eventually release I'm sure the FPV with it will be amazing. It still captures good images and since you're not doing anything business related who cares if your image is slightly better, especially with YouTube recompressing the video anyways. And on top of it you're getting more flight time for less money with the Mavic combo than the P4P.  
2016-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules