1112 7 2016-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I'm a hobbyist, drone enthusiast and an avid landscape photo/videographer. I'm a happy owner of P3P andf I1P birds, amazed by possibilities they offer. I'm a loyal customer and firm believer in DJI technology. I'm also not a maniac, frantically spending retirement pension on every new and flashy toy DJI has to offer.  After reading all these exciting announcements last night - an scary thought crossed my mind. So, here's one simple question:

Can we all X5 camera users expect final firmware update, fixing evident image quality issues?

Allow me to rephrase and expand my question:

Is it technically possible to squeeze more juice from presumably sophisticated X5 camera and reach at least the performance equal to undoubtedly cheaper Phantom 4 Pro camera? Is there any room for improvements?

Assuming obvious technology progress, the mediocre bitrate of X5 camera is given and probably can't be tweaked (?). The firmware, however, is seemingly troubled. The issues, introduced with latest FW updates and particularly visible with 4K video footage, are still waiting for treatment. D-log algorithm is practically useless due to noisy shadows, smudged details, posterisation and other compression artifacts etc.

For many non-professional videographers investing in new, certainly better equipmet is beyond consideration after a mere 1 year from purchasing ridiculously expensive, then assumingly state-of-the-art aerial camera. And now comes the frightening thought ... DJI seems to be extremely busy developing new toys and professional tools at dizzying speed. Will we be hosed down and left in darkness? Or will we receive final, matured camera firmware update?

Yours truly,
Matthew Dobrski

2016-11-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Firmware updates are possible to improve the current resolution and  image transmission, but it would not be able to expand the current scope of resolution options.
2016-11-18
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-18 15:24
Firmware updates are possible to improve the current resolution and  image transmission, but it woul ...

Jamie, thank you for your response ... Unfortunately your answer is confusing. What do you mean by "resolution and image transmission" improvement? To my understanding "the current scope of X5 resolution options" is the available list of frame size and FPS ratio to choose from. This can not be changed or modified, no issue here whatsoever. Therefore (again to my understanding of your response) possible improvements of "resolution and image transmission" are related to the frame quality, compression algorithms and transfer to SD card protocol ... Please correct me if I'm wrong.
2016-11-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-11-19 12:31
Jamie, thank you for your response ... Unfortunately your answer is confusing. What do you mean by ...

Sorry for the wording, but yes, the latter to your response is what I'm trying to get across. Hope this helps.
2016-11-18
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-11-18 22:05
Sorry for the wording, but yes, the latter to your response is what I'm trying to get across. Hope ...

OK, so this is a good news ... sort of. The last question remains: when we'll get this fixed, polished, final X5 camera firmware and start getting results we've paid for? Some of us don't have all the time ...
2016-11-18
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-11-18 23:42
OK, so this is a good news ... sort of. The last question remains: when we'll get this fixed, poli ...

Dobie , unfortunately  - I think some users are going to get left out in the cold, my sense is they feel ( Not Jamie ) there is no problem and ergo there will be no fix .  DJI has come out with new product and technology and that will be the response.  I dont have the keen eye that some of you pro video and photo aficionados have and for the most part am happy with the quality .  I am trying to learn but it is a process, I am a much better problem solver and pilot than camera -person ( Politically correct.....barf ) .

sorry to say , bottom line , I think we are not going to see some fw that solves some of the issues.  Sorry mate.  and this is not the fault of the DJI reps on the forum , from speaking with them Personally I know they dont have much sway with the higher ups .  My family is in the car business in the States,  Buick- GMC- Chevrolet .  And have the same problem , we see an obvious problem that just will not get addressed, it has gotten MUCH better but still has a long way to go . There is always an accountant  who says it will cost this much to do the right thing .......  as long as the Right Thing does not have to many digits , then it will get done .  This is the same at Toyota and all business's .....sad but true.

I will get off my soap box now , rant over .

donnie  
2016-11-19
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-19 06:43
Dobie , unfortunately  - I think some users are going to get left out in the cold, my sense is they ...

Yes, that's more or less what I think. Indeed the artifacts I see are visible under really strong magnification of 4K footage and are undoubtedly related to limited bandwidth. DJI missed (consciously or not) the opportunity of employing better technology, available at the time of X5 camera development (i.e. venerable Panasonic GH4). X5R camera addresses most of the X5 shortcomings, but this toy is beyond my reach unfortunately.
Another words, classic WYSIWYG scenario. I can live with that ...

Cheers, Brother.
That's your wife, BTW? Lucky bastard  ...

2016-11-19
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2016-11-19 14:43
Yes, that's more or less what I think. Indeed the artifacts I see are visible under really strong m ...

My wife is actually the Brunette version of Heidi Klum.......... and I am one lucky Bastard !

Cheers Dobie

donnie
2016-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules