Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Hi guys!

Just received my Mavic. Haven't powered it on yet. I don't have DJI care as I'm not in a major market. I've had Flamewheel, P2, P2v2, P3P, P4 before this.

Having seen some threads on RC calibration, compass calibration errors, fly away etc I'm quite scared to fly this thing currently, on top of the fact it seems quite fragile, well mainly the gimbal.

Any tips before I fly? I will update all firmware and apps to the latest version before flying. IMU calibrate, compass calibrate Anything else I can check? Compass calibration values? RC calibration?

Will appreciate any tips or advice.

Thanks!
2016-11-18
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

I was scared too. ha

I updated firmware, did a controller calibration and a compass calibration and took off (in beginner mode). It never asked me for a controller or IMU calibration. I did the controller calibration just to see if I had the issue with the stick getting stuck at 4-5%. Still haven't done an IMU calibration and I have 3 hours of flying time and 20 total flights. It's been perfect.
2016-11-18
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Leave the protection cover on the camera/gimbal. Then do all the needed calibrations, have fun, relax.
2016-11-18
Use props
rapcon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8871 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-18 08:13
Leave the protection cover on the camera/gimbal. Then do all the needed calibrations, have fun, rela ...

I do not have mine yet, but does that mean the isolation clip as well?  I ask because during initialization the gimbal needs to move.  
2016-11-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

rapcon Posted at 2016-11-18 09:28
I do not have mine yet, but does that mean the isolation clip as well?  I ask because during initi ...

No, you need to remove th clip so the gimbal can move. I think he's suggesting starting out leaving the cover on in case it crashes the camera and gimbal will have less chance of being damaged.
2016-11-18
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

I've flown the Simulator for about an hour in total. I'm going to take the drone out to an open field after work today to give it the maiden flight.

Two things I've noticed: first is a clicking noise when I have the drone turned on, omitting out of the rear side. Not sure what that is. The other thing I've noticed (and can use some advice here) - how do you put the gimbal lock back on? I can't find any instructions for doing this.

Thanks
2016-11-18
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

I've been putting together a comprehensive checklist in another thread.  Used it for my first flight.  Going about maiden flight(s) systematically is my plan.  Starting with a basic flight (although I did test RTH in my first flight) and gradually adding more elements.  The checklist is at http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;fromuid=421841.
2016-11-18
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely remove the gimbal cover, if you leave it on you are preventing the major pathway for the Mavic to cool itself.  That has to be removed before flight.
2016-11-18
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-11-18 23:30
Definitely remove the gimbal cover, if you leave it on you are preventing the major pathway for the  ...

Agreed 100%
2016-11-18
Use props
trance728
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2016-11-18 10:30
Definitely remove the gimbal cover, if you leave it on you are preventing the major pathway for the  ...

I wish DJI would mention this, the teardown video is the first I've heard of not flying  with the bubble on.
2016-11-18
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

trance728 Posted at 2016-11-19 05:02
I wish DJI would mention this, the teardown video is the first I've heard of not flying  with the  ...

Yea it should be in the manual.  It's very clearly designed to suck in air as the Mavic fly's forward.  
2016-11-18
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Before doing anything, ensure you received everything in the box.  Update the Mavic/Controller before doing anything, then charge the batteries fully.  Leave the drone on beginner mode, as it will limit your flight area for your first few flights and allow you to get used to the controls 30M in height and 30M radius.  Shut off maps for mainland china.  Then do a compass calibration, I did mine right at my pc.  Go find an open space to fly your drone, when taking off/landing ensure that the drone is pointed to an open area, this is the point to set your home point.  Lift off and fly the drone around, test your RTH button to ensure if comes back to you, if it doesn't make sure you hit pause or the red x on your screen.  I would recommend doing 5 to 7 short flights to get used to the basic controls, practice going in a square and figure eight.  On the lower right side of the phone screen there looks like a camera settings button, in here you can set your video to 4k.  If you set your streaming to 1080p, the video recording automatically downgrades.
2016-11-18
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

This was my first drone. I was scared my first time flying it. After a week of flying it i still dont know half the stuff it can do. But so far flying it has been the easiest part. Flying it and getting good video is the hard part for me.
2016-11-18
Use props
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

tgs3838 Posted at 2016-11-18 18:15
This was my first drone. I was scared my first time flying it. After a week of flying it i still don ...

Actually you was supposed to read the f..king manual several times _before_ you even touched Mavic... ;)
2016-11-18
Use props
Lepus
lvl.3

Canada

Gray Volk Posted at 2016-11-19 08:01
Actually you was supposed to read the f..king manual several times _before_ you even touched Mavic ...

I read it a few times and still don't know where half the settings are.  I think becoming proficient at flying it is more important then taking videos/pics, that will come with time.
2016-11-18
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
United States

Gray Volk Posted at 2016-11-18 19:01
Actually you was supposed to read the f..king manual several times _before_ you even touched Mavic ...

Lol. Well i think everyone read the manual while waiting the extra few weeks for delivery. But i don't think anyone can read it and remember everything it can do. Plus i was talking more about the camera setting and not playing around with all the different flight modes.
2016-11-18
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-18 19:02
I read it a few times and still don't know where half the settings are.  I think becoming proficie ...

For sure. Im still learning how to fly it. Learn more each time. Good flying for videos will come with time
2016-11-18
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-11-18 09:13
Leave the protection cover on the camera/gimbal. Then do all the needed calibrations, have fun, rela ...

I don't recommend leaving the gimbal cover on. There is a vent and fan behind the camera that cools the body and if the cover is left on, the bird can't cool itself properly.
2016-11-18
Use props
CamStevens
lvl.4

United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-18 15:03
Before doing anything, ensure you received everything in the box.  Update the Mavic/Controller befor ...

I would NOT recommend calibrating your compass right at your PC.  Refer to the owner's manual and other posts on this forum.  You want to calibrate the compass away from all possible sources of magnetic interference (including metal such as your cell phone, your keys, your belt, etc.)

I agree with all the other comments in this reply.  In particular, not only would I recommend making a "pre-first flight" and "first flight" checklist (see my earlier reply in this thread for a link), I would also recommend making a pre-flight checklist and "flight plan" for ALL your early flights.  Don't go and check out each and every function in your first flight.  

In my first flight, I verified that the aircraft responded to all stick and gimbal controls, I shot video and pictures, I flew boxes and circles, and I verified RTH and that was it.  In my second flight, I turned off beginner mode and enabled multiple flight modes and then tested obstacle avoidance, tripod mode, and POI mode.  In my third flight, I plan to test Active Track and will also test Failsafe RTH (ie turn off my controller and ensure RTH works as expected).  In my forth flight, I am going to fly to 200 ft altitude and 500 ft distance.  In my fifth flight, I plan to fly to 300 ft altitude and 1000 ft distance, assuming that I am comfortable with the distance from the previous flight.
2016-11-18
Use props
fansebeed138
lvl.2
United States

I have the P2v2 and P3 adv.  and waiting on the Mav, but I am becoming more comfortable with just letting it fly.  I think I'll be more comfortable with the mav over the P2V2 and P3
2016-11-18
Use props
yHS0eU90xE7Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2313 ft
United States

I flew mine drunk at night. Easy peasy...
2016-11-18
Use props
Gray Volk
lvl.2
United States

Lepus Posted at 2016-11-18 19:02
I read it a few times and still don't know where half the settings are.  I think becoming proficie ...

If you are just learning to fly then the recommended way is to get a small cheap quad, like Eachine H8 (11sm, 20gram). It's not the same dynamics, but you can learn basic skills without fear of crashing, and you can do it at home. That's what I'm doing now in 3x4m room, I still make mistakes in difficult cases, but I'm obviously getting better
2016-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules