12Next >
4121 61 2016-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
icarusknows
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3166 ft
Canada

So I recently sent my Mavic in for repair, due to what I think was a de-centered lens. Details here.

I just wanted to provide some observations and feedback on my customer support experience so far (I haven't received my drone back yet, so I can't say if the issue is resolved).

FIRST CONTACT
I used the web-chat feature on the DJI support page and found the help I received to be fairly responsive and logical (no bs "did you remember to reset your router?" comments). I demo'ed my issue using a youtube video I had posted showing the blurriness of my footage that was consistent only across the right side of the frame. The CSR gave me a fairly straight forward form to fill out and patiently waited for me to populate it, then created an RMA ticket on the spot. Shortly after, I was emailed a pre-paid UPS shipping slip with ~fairly~ clear instructions for packing.

UPS SHIPPING
As most know, there are issues with shipping batteries via air and as I was required to ship back my RC (sans drone battery), UPS ground shipping was used. Long story short, It was picked up on the 9th and delivered on the 16th. Not bad for a 2500 mile truck across North America.

SERVICE CENTER (Carson, California)
My drone was officially "received" on the 17th. That same day it was assessed ("warranty, no signs of abuse"), service quoted ($0 for cam/gimbal [$126] plus labour[$65/hr]), repaired, tested, and passed through QA. Later that night I received notification that my drone had been packed and shipped back via UPS.

IF all goes well and I receive my drone back in fully functional condition, this will have been a very professional and efficient RMA experience. The only weird part I found in this whole process was the fact that the serial number recorded for the camera/gimbal that I sent in matches the product repair summary of the drone I'm getting back. maybe I'm misinterpreting this as the same cam/gimbal being returned, which would be a bit weird if the lens is indeed de-centered and in need of replacing (as quoted).

Anyway, TL;DR --> so far I am satisfied with the RMA process that DJI has in place and my experience with it, albeit I wish I didn't have to go through it (such is the risk of being an early adopter i suppose).

Hope this helps others :-/
2016-11-18
Use props
Dronez
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61135 ft
United States

Same boat here. I got mine back yesterday and it was a brand new mavic! crossing my fingers for you!
2016-11-18
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

I am having the same problem, some photos and videos are blurry on left hand side. The trouble is I am away for a long holiday next week, so I will just have to put up with the defective lens and send it in for a replacement once the holiday is over. Such a shame!
2016-11-18
Use props
clydevs
lvl.2

United States

The only thing so far is that no matter what I do it seems the new Mavic Pro I received, tends to descend for no reason at all during a hover. I didn't want a new one as my other one flew wonderfully and was confident in it to let it travel, but had the 3/4 inch blur on the left hand side of every picture. My original Mavic Pro was rock solid, even on the old firmware. This one... Not near my experience with the first one I had. The VPS shows it descending, but the Vertical Speed does not. I have calibrated, calibrated, calibrated, and went a step further than calibrating, I calibrated again. The compass, the IMU, the controller, even the damn gimbal. 16 satellites later, it still descends. It is not as steady at a hover as my Phantom 3 advanced to be honest. I reverted to the earlier firmware. It still descends. I'm just gonna hope something happens to fix this. If not. I don't know if I'm gonna give up on this Mavic Pro as I could write a book about the roller coaster Newegg and Dji have put me on to have a properly function Mavic Pro. I'm just disgusted at this point. Flying season is almost over in my area. I might wait till spring to see if it is fixed. If not I will be sending it in AGAIN. I even told Dji upon sending it in that I did not want a new one, just the camera fixed. That didn't happen. I would rather have 3/4 inch of blur on the left of pictures than a Mavic Pro that isn't steady in the air.
2016-11-23
Use props
clydevs
lvl.2

United States

It descends no matter what. one the phone with Dji now.
2016-11-23
Use props
clydevs
lvl.2

United States

I just got off of the phone with Dji. I am sending the Mavic Pro back AGAIN. It descends CONSTANTLY. It shows on the camera, and the VPS, but not the vertical speed. The camera is perfectly fine now, but I would rather have a perfectly flying Mavic Pro, for safety of everyone, rather than a "perfect" picture. I AM LIVID. I DID NOT WANT MY ORIGINAL MAVIC PRO CHANGED AS IT FLEW PERFECTLY. I was confident in it. This new one... Not at all. I can fly it no problems, but as the 3/4 inch blur, it does not do what it is supposed to do. For $1000, why should I accept less than what was promised? Another chunk of time not being able to fly. THANK YOU SO MUCH DJI.
2016-11-23
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

United States

Any updates? Does the new Mavic live up to it's name?
2016-11-28
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

so did they charge you for Labor ?? or was it all free ????
2016-11-28
Use props
Sonduren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86345 ft
Canada

If they charge us for labor on a defective drone in the warranty process I will outrage and have the credit card companies charge them back for the full amount. There is no way in hell any customer should be paying for the original company to repair a defective product.
2016-11-28
Use props
Impossible J
lvl.2
United States

Sonduren Posted at 2016-11-29 06:32
If they charge us for labor on a defective drone in the warranty process I will outrage and have the ...

I doubt they are charging him. Ive seen a similar thing with camera repairs from nikon. They still list the costs in order to track the labor internally, but it gets zeroed-out for the invoice to the customer if it all falls under warranty repair. Im curious to see if thats the case here.
2016-11-28
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

OK update time.

I received my mavic from service centre yesterday.

So a few weeks to turn around...  I have yet to test the drone to see if the lens blur issue has been resolved... Hopefully tonight.  Part of the problem in delaying a test was the service centre switched the USB C cable that was attached to the drone Rc with a lightning cable.  When I chatted with a service rep I was told I was told that I wasnt supposed to include the cable (I followed the instructions for RMA as carefully as I could, but I guess I missed the cable that came physically attached to the Rc).  Anyway, service rep tried to dismiss me instead or simply sending me new cable that tech misplaced.  Tried saying that the photo they took of the RMA drone I sent in didn't include the USB C cable.. I asked why I now have two lightning cables.. then asked to send photo showing both cables... Now this important business is under investigation.. hope to hear back soon!  In the meantime I have to use the standard USB connector like a vagrant.

At the end of the day, as long as the drone now functions as advertised I will be content.  Please don't let me down, DJI!  I want to be a believer!
2016-11-29
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

Thanks for the update.  I've just been requested to send mine back.  As I live in Australia, I think the nearest service centre is in Melbourne (me being in Sydney).  Hopefully no longer than a couple of weeks.  It's Summer here and I want my Mavic for it.  Footage always seems to be wasted with this focus problem though.
2016-11-29
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-11-29 15:11
Thanks for the update.  I've just been requested to send mine back.  As I live in Australia, I think ...

Yup, winter is coming, as us Canadians say.  Missed all the fall colour change.  At this point I just want to get some decent flight time in before it starts getting seriously cold, then be ready to go for spring...
2016-11-29
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-11-30 07:11
Thanks for the update.  I've just been requested to send mine back.  As I live in Australia, I think ...

Yeah i had a mishap yesterday with my drone and it wanting to hug a tree. This thing is amazing to fly but it does take time to brake and also it can drift as in my case. I have contacted DJI and have supplied details, worst case i claim via DJI care refresh.

Will see what the damage is, fall of the drone from the tree snapped the gimbal. Kevin16 can i ask who picked it up and also what you needed to send back? I have the drone ready as per what it was when i took it out of the box with top propellers off. I gather i put it in a padded bag and box ready for pickup>
2016-11-29
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

icarusknows Posted at 2016-11-29 12:38
OK update time.

I received my mavic from service centre yesterday.

Canadian here too. Keep us posted please! I'm considering sending my Mavic back today for repair but if they just keep coming back worse I'll wait a bit.
2016-11-29
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Australia

fans628b7609 Posted at 2016-11-30 06:40
Yeah i had a mishap yesterday with my drone and it wanting to hug a tree. This thing is amazing to ...

They haven't picked it up yet.  They just requested pick up details and date when it will be ready.  I've given them Monday.  Hopefully no fly away before then.
2016-11-29
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

fans628b7609 Posted at 2016-11-29 15:40
Yeah i had a mishap yesterday with my drone and it wanting to hug a tree. This thing is amazing to ...

drifting! Really?

My experience with it initially was that it was rock solid in flight (better than my old P3).  That alone seems weird to me.
2016-11-29
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

Post RMA test done (not ideal conditions, so bear with me)

Note:
I'm not posting pre-RMA photos because the compression is very high and unfair to use for comparison (pre-RMA were 5mb jpegs straight from the sd card under even worse lighting; the post RMA are 10mb 100% jpegs from DNG raw files).

POST RMA PHOTO

Here's the post-RMA video, straight from the camera, no post:

Notes: wait for it... (30 sec before focus.. satisfying)

Ok, so my interpretations are so far, on my initial test (more to come) are that this camera is MUCH improved.  Thank you for correcting this issue, DJI.  Now, if you could just return my USB-C cable, we'll be square
2016-11-29
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

icarusknows Posted at 2016-11-30 09:20
drifting! Really?

My experience with it initially was that it was rock solid in flight (better th ...

It was rock solid in flight, as a matter of fact i was having a great time. I moved it forward slowly and then turned it around but it then drifted a bit right and clipped the branch. It was my fault as i KNOW not to fly near trees and my perception of distance to the trees was off. Lesson learned but up till that point i had about 14 mins of the best flying, even managed to capture some parachutes coming down in the distance.

I was just SO pissed with myself, especially the first flight. I'm so smitten that i am thinking of buying another Mavic later in Jan just so i have two to play with.
2016-11-29
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-11-30 08:31
They haven't picked it up yet.  They just requested pick up details and date when it will be ready ...

Thanks Kevin16, they have asked for all the details and i have supplied it. Now i wait for them to tell me what to send and when they will pick it up. Going to give me the option of quoting for repair OR using the DJI care refresh. If the price to change the gimbal is less then $150 i'll go that path and keep my replacements.

BTW for everyone the gimbal is only held on by to small pieces of metal about 1.5mm wide, so it seems to be very fragile and any type of knock or drop will break it.
2016-11-29
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

fans628b7609 Posted at 2016-11-29 17:40
It was rock solid in flight, as a matter of fact i was having a great time. I moved it forward slo ...

oh, my bad i misread.  Ya, that sucks.. so much tech in these tools but still precarious.  Can't lie, I'm still not entirely comfortable with flying, which probably makes me a bit overly cautious when i do!

I hope things work out!
2016-11-29
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

icarusknows Posted at 2016-11-30 06:29
Post RMA test done (not ideal conditions, so bear with me)

Note:

Image looks good now. Let's hope you don't have any other issues now. I sent mine off today. I hung onto my cord.
2016-11-29
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-11-30 11:48
Image looks good now. Let's hope you don't have any other issues now. I sent mine off today. I hun ...

Do you guys need to send everything back or just the drone?
2016-11-29
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

fans628b7609 Posted at 2016-11-29 20:58
Do you guys need to send everything back or just the drone?

Unless they say otherwise, usually you are asked to send drone, without battery, and the RC.

You keep charger,  cords, propellers, manuals, etc.
2016-11-30
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

icarusknows Posted at 2016-11-30 21:05
Unless they say otherwise, usually you are asked to send drone, without battery, and the RC.

You k ...

Have you flown it again? Any issues?
2016-11-30
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

canadianairborn Posted at 2016-11-30 19:19
Have you flown it again? Any issues?

Not yet.  Hopefully this weekend.
2016-11-30
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Australia

Courier collected my Mavic today.  I found the support experience so far to be quite slow as it took a while to get to the decision that it needed to be sent for repair.  I felt I needed to push it along myself for it to get anywhere.  Then, I was asked for a preferred day for collection and I said Monday 5th December.  They decided to ignore that and send the courier today.  Anyway, it's gone now and hopefully a fully functioning Mavic when I get it back.  
2016-12-1
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-12-1 16:06
Courier collected my Mavic today.  I found the support experience so far to be quite slow as it took ...

I feel the same. I inquired about the defect, they said they'd contact me within 24-48 hours... they didn't. I went on chat and asked for a shipping label cause I want to send it back. It's also on it's way yesterday. Good luck bro, I hope they come back perfect.
2016-12-1
Use props
MuzzaPuppa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28750 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mines coming back this weekend i hope after soft cam issue. With DHL now so i will let you know if mine come back ok and fixed
2016-12-1
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

MuzzaPuppa Posted at 2016-12-1 20:34
mines coming back this weekend i hope after soft cam issue. With DHL now so i will let you know if m ...

please do. good luck.
2016-12-1
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-12-1 16:06
Courier collected my Mavic today.  I found the support experience so far to be quite slow as it took ...

Kevin16, I had to wait about 24 hours to get a reply that they are picking it up and again was yesterday but didn't mind. Mine go picked up yesterday and was delivered today to Burwood in VIC. So now i just have to wait for them to unpack it, inspect and quote me for the repair and then hopefully get it back soon.
2016-12-2
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

icarusknows Posted at 2016-12-1 12:31
Not yet.  Hopefully this weekend.

Any updates?
2016-12-5
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

I have been unable to fly because DJI service centre switched my USB-C RC cable with a lightning cable that is useless to me.  I was able to do basic tests with my tablet connected to the USB port, but need the USB-C cable to go out into the field.

Waiting for DJI to "investigate" where my cable is and if they want to send it back to me.  :/
2016-12-5
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

icarusknows Posted at 2016-12-6 02:27
I have been unable to fly because DJI service centre switched my USB-C RC cable with a lightning cable that is useless to me.  I was able to do basic tests with my tablet connected to the USB port, but need the USB-C cable to go out into the field.

Waiting for DJI to "investigate" where my cable is and if they want to send it back to me.  :/

in the short term, can you just go buy a generic USB-C to Micro USB cable so you can fly it? Or you can fly it in Wi-Fi mode with just your phone/tablet...
2016-12-5
Use props
icarusknows
lvl.2
Canada

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-5 16:56
in the short term, can you just go buy a generic USB-C to Micro USB cable so you can fly it? Or you can fly it in Wi-Fi mode with just your phone/tablet...

micro-USB to USB-C:  yup, totally logically thought.  I ordered a cable from amazon a week ago.  the only thing it does is charge the controller from my phone.  I think the RC port on the side is slightly different.. u can probably tell that the DJI cable head is squared and not the normal trapezoid shape of a micro-USB.  Dunno if this is directly related, just my speculation.

I actually just got a notification that my issue has been resolved and I assume a USB-C cable will be mailed to me soon.

This is honestly kind of hilarious.  I think I was one of the first in Canada/North America to get the Mavic, and I've only flown it once.. it's been over a month of back-and-forth resolving issues, haha
2016-12-5
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Australia

icarusknows Posted at 2016-12-6 14:29
micro-USB to USB-C:  yup, totally logically thought.  I ordered a cable from amazon a week ago.  the only thing it does is charge the controller from my phone.  I think the RC port on the side is slightly different.. u can probably tell that the DJI cable head is squared and not the normal trapezoid shape of a micro-USB.  Dunno if this is directly related, just my speculation.

I actually just got a notification that my issue has been resolved and I assume a USB-C cable will be mailed to me soon.

I really hope it doesn't take that long to get mine back into the sky.  I can see from the support section in the DJI Go app that my case has progressed to verified.  But, the next stage is delivered.  Who knows what happens in between.  I hope I haven't timed this really badly and end up waiting until after Christmas before I get it back.
2016-12-6
Use props
MuzzaPuppa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28750 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Right mine has arrived back. Yet to test as the weather is bad today. I can confirm though that it is a new drone rather than a gimbal replacement. Let's hope it's a good one as my first mavic was great flying and very stable and only had the camera issue. Should be able to test tomorrow and will come back and post. One small point the camera is free of dust on this new one so this is a good start.
2016-12-6
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-12-6 17:43
I really hope it doesn't take that long to get mine back into the sky.  I can see from the support section in the DJI Go app that my case has progressed to verified.  But, the next stage is delivered.  Who knows what happens in between.  I hope I haven't timed this really badly and end up waiting until after Christmas before I get it back.

I'm in the same boat. Mine hasn't even reached DJI yet and I'm hoping it's back before Christmas...
2016-12-6
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Australia

Just got an email confirming that my Mavic will be replaced.  Hate to be negative about this good news but the original Mavic flew perfectly.  I was hoping they'd just change the camera. But, getting closer to having it back.
2016-12-6
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Australia

And now I just got an email confirming the replacement has been shipped.  I can't help but be very impressed.  I only sent it to them on Thursday last week.

Well done DJI
2016-12-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules