Prop shadows - Why do ND's help (supposedly)
1356 5 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansce3b84f6
lvl.1
United States

I don't mean that (supposedly) to be skeptical, it's just that I've never tested it personally.

I seem to notice propeller shadows pretty often in all the Mavic footage I'm watching as I wait for mine to arrive. To be clear, I'm not talking about the props actually in view, just the shadows in certain lighting situations.

On my P4 this seems to be pretty rare, but I usually fly with an ND. Recently I read in a Mavic post that this reduces the occurrence of shadows.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about the photography/videography principles, yet I can't really figure out exactly why they would help. I assume it must be that the slower shutter speed doesn't sync with the strobe effect of the props the same way a high shutter speed does. Am I on the right track here? Or is it that the shadow is essentially blurred to the point of not being visible?
2016-11-19
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wouldn't a hood help with that? That's what I had on my GoPro on my P2.
2016-11-19
Use props
t0ny
lvl.2
United States

I don't have my Mavic yet ( come one DJI ). But the ND filters causes the camera to have longer exposure times which means fast motion will be blurred. So you would still see the shadows but they will be fainter and not strobe.
2016-11-19
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

But if shooting say 25fps the shutter speed should be 50. Any faster or slower and it's a going to look a bit odd. So you probably don't want an ND filter unless it's too bright to shoot 2x fps.
2016-11-19
Use props
fansce3b84f6
lvl.1
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2016-11-19 17:22
But if shooting say 25fps the shutter speed should be 50. Any faster or slower and it's a going to l ...

It's almost always too bright to shoot at 50fps, and that's on the P4 with it's narrower aperture. I use an ND8 or ND16 for practically all daytime shooting. For the Mavic I will definitely be using and recommending ND16 as a default.

As I recall, there is about a half stop difference between the Mavic and P4, which would make ND16 sort of a compromise between the two I most commonly use right now. I expect it will be pretty convenient.
2016-11-19
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks. When some filters hit the market I'll take a look into it.
2016-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules