Taking mine back to Apple Store
1733 12 2016-11-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BarrettF77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

Despite all the negative press I've been seeing on here from batteries, availability, dust in lenses, hardware failures, I still bought one at the apple store this week when they said they had one.  I don't have any dust and overall the product is nice.  I really do not like the remote control and how you have to take a iphone 7 plus out of the case and mash it in to fit.  The P4 was such an elegant design and for a remote that otherwise would be preferred, I'm feeling rather unimpressed.  

So I setup all the pre flight checks last night and was into performing the firmwre update as I've read and it just got stuck at 99%.  Multiple attemtps at restarting this update or downgrading the firmware through the computer have yielded no results.  Customer service was basically worthless and a waste of time and for $1,100 of my dollars, I feel this experience is so lacking I'm amazed this is what others consider the standard among drones.  Immature software, poor QC, terrible customer service, and a rollout that any company would be ashamed of.  Apple still cannot deilver enought iphone 7 pluses, but the rollout is still more graceful than this product.  I really don't like marking a company down for poor things like this, but having seen this for myself, I'll have $1,100 of my money back today as a result.  I'll try a couple more things to get this firmware issue sorted, but I'm not wasting much more of my time on this currently overpriced paperweight that I see mostly negative reviews on now that production rollout is underway.   

DJI, take note of companies like Apple and their customer support models.  No company is perfect and Apple has had many messups, but they find a way to make it right and when I've spoken with your reps, it's unfortunately been the opposite experience for me.   
2016-11-19
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 881598 ft
United States

I felt the same as you about the phone holder (not removing my phone from it's armored case everytime to fly) but I like the Mavic otherwise. If you are creative you can make a phone holder adapter very easy and cheap. I posted this a few days ago on how to make a phone holder for armor cases.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 37&page=1#pid571633
2016-11-19
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
United States

Ultraflight77 Posted at 2016-11-19 08:49
I felt the same as you about the phone holder (not removing my phone from it's armored case everytim ...

Nice work there. For me, I feel like this has hit a point of frustration on so many fronts.  I need this machine to be able to fly and to date it hasn't even left the ground.  Nothing has worked with the firmware.  
2016-11-19
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.3
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-11-19 09:56
Nice work there. For me, I feel like this has hit a point of frustration on so many fronts.  I nee ...

Thanks. I am using a Samsung Galaxy s5 and the firmware took 1st try. Wonder if they will have a download firmware update available like the p3's did through the sd card?
2016-11-19
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
United States

Ultraflight77 Posted at 2016-11-19 09:02
Thanks. I am using a Samsung Galaxy s5 and the firmware took 1st try. Wonder if they will have a ...

Not sure, but I cannot even get the remote to update correctly.  When connected to the computer they both register as having the latest firmware versions.  But the two will not pair and I've confirmed it's not a setting or switch on the remote or drone.  
2016-11-19
Use props
yoengel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-11-19 23:08
Not sure, but I cannot even get the remote to update correctly.  When connected to the computer th ...

You can connect a USB cable from the bottom of your remote to your phone and this would not require taking the case out.

Have you tried updating the firmware using a PC?

I have the Mavic and it's nothing short of amazing.
2016-11-19
Use props
Ultraflight77
lvl.3
United States

BarrettF77 Posted at 2016-11-19 10:08
Not sure, but I cannot even get the remote to update correctly.  When connected to the computer th ...

When I updated mine it did everything through the phone, it downloaded then installed. If you know someone who has a android device,maybe you could use their phone just to do the update. Maybe there is a bug with the Apple version?  I haven't flown mine yet as well, weather has been too windy here in Northern Indiana, Now it's snowing! GRRR
2016-11-19
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
United States

I finally got the firmware updated and flew for 20 min yesterday.  Didn't notice any blurry camera issues or problems others have noted.  I kept it in beginner mode to perform testing and make sure basics are working.  I am finding a lot of the software DJI has indicated should work to not or not very well.  I feel like this product has a lot of potential but do not like the remove and used my iPad separate from the remote yesterday.  This product feels somewhat rushed based on all that I have seen and read about it. I will call customer service on my remaining issues tomorrow and pending how that goes, keep or return my mavic this week.  

Really appreciate the feedback from everyone on here, this is a helpful group.  
2016-11-20
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

You don't need to take your phone out of it's case.  It grips on very well with the case on.
2016-11-20
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
United States

I'll have to try again.  
2016-11-21
Use props
s.manchester
lvl.2
Flight distance : 127188 ft
  • >>>
United States

When performing the Firmware update are you using the bottom USB port? And if so, did you disconnect the adapter cable from the upper USB port?

In my experience, the update will hang at the 99% mark in the above scenario.
2016-11-21
Use props
robble
lvl.2

United States

First time I powered on with my S7Edge it said FW update required.  hit "ok" and a couple minutes later it was done.  Super easy.  HAve several flight now and other than a choppy panning on my first two flights (which were fixed with an IMU calibration) it seems to be doing fine so far.
2016-11-21
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

robble Posted at 2016-11-22 09:02
First time I powered on with my S7Edge it said FW update required.  hit "ok" and a couple minutes la ...

lower down the expo the yaw expo settings to 0.2. This makes the sticks more forgiving near the centre.
2016-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules