Poll: Google Maps or HERE Maps
10041 118 2016-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

no improvement on this yet, is there? i wonder if it's either and issue with some contract with google, or perhaps google maps are in some way not available in China or some other places that make a diff...
2017-1-10
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

So....are we delievering pizza with our drones ??? If the map  doesn't sho your house, what's the difference ??? So far my p4  has been on the spot. my house doesn'show up....nobody's house are there. but the main drives are shown.  When I look at the maps on my flight record it shows  a pictoril view with my house in the correct location so I assume that the graffic maps are on the spot.  So.......just what type of detail do you need to locate your drone ? What's wrong with the saying....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID /  If one program is smaller and can provide the drone the information it needs to be located or return home....what does it really matter ??    C:->
2017-1-10
Use props
Lurch
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Bring back google maps DJI. Listen to your customers who without it won't matter what crapy  third party maps you use as no one will be buying from you.
2017-1-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-10 08:53
no improvement on this yet, is there? i wonder if it's either and issue with some contract with google, or perhaps google maps are in some way not available in China or some other places that make a diff...

When you use Google Maps for a product that earns money, Google require you to enter a licensing agreement to use the maps. Perhaps the cost was too high, and DJI went looking for an alternative. But the choice of the Here Maps was a bad one. On the other hand, Google Maps are the best available, so we are spoilt by having them.
2017-1-10
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Lurch Posted at 2017-1-10 12:22
Bring back google maps DJI. Listen to your customers who without it won't matter what crapy  third party maps you use as no one will be buying from you.

Do you really think someone's not going to buy a Phantom because of which map service it uses ?
2017-1-10
Use props
dirtdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-10 13:08
Do you really think someone's not going to buy a Phantom because of which map service it uses ?

No WilliamM, many people won’t buy a different drone because of the map. Thousands will use a different app though. Ever here of Litchi? Just because you’ve apparently never tried to fine tune a POI or route waypoint over top of a pixilated blob that someone calls a map doesn’t mean others don’t. DJI just released a potentially great app in GP Pro but unfortunately they underpin it with maps that are several years out of date in nearly all areas of the world. It’s kind of tough to plan that perfect shot of a building or park that doesn’t show up on the only map the app uses. Your comment, and others like it here, demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of a drone’s true potential. Broaden your view a little.
2017-1-10
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

dirtdroner Posted at 2017-1-10 15:47
No WilliamM, many people won’t buy a different drone because of the map. Thousands will use a different app though. Ever here of Litchi? Just because you’ve apparently never tried to fine tune a POI or route waypoint over top of a pixilated blob that someone calls a map doesn’t mean others don’t. DJI just released a potentially great app in GP Pro but unfortunately they underpin it with maps that are several years out of date in nearly all areas of the world. It’s kind of tough to plan that perfect shot of a building or park that doesn’t show up on the only map the app uses. Your comment, and others like it here, demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of a drone’s true potential. Broaden your view a little.

My view is broad enough. I use Litchi and have also downgraded to 3.0.1 with Go, so I have Google maps on both of my drone apps. But I'm still flying a DJI drone and most likely my next one will be a DJI also. I was just making the point that DJI as not going to lose any business because of which map service the current app may use. Do I think Google is better, of course I do otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the uninstall and reinstall of the Go app to a earlier version. The Go app is free so if users choose to use another, their not losing any revenue.
2017-1-10
Use props
PKPhantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275276 ft
United States

I also recently upgraded my P3P to the most recent Firmware- Worst Mistake EVER! Beside the fact that my R/C wasn't powering up any longer, I also lost my high quality/ resolution MAP view. The switch from Google to Here maps got to be the biggest joke ever.

Long story shot, I returned the bird to Best Buy, citing a defective product. I received an exchange for a new one even though it was a couple of months after the initial purchase. Will not be running the upgrade anytime soon.

Nonetheless, I have been reading quite a good number of Posts/ Threads regarding this issue. A lot of complaints. The funny thing is, I haven't found a single, one line sentence, from DJI explaining what is going on. This is NOT acceptable. In the world of Customer Service and comparing with other Mortar-Brick and/or Online Retail outlets in THIS country......America....I'm sorry to say this, but in my book, DJI would get a lousy half star out of five company review.

-PK
2017-1-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I don't know what all the problem is?? My maps haven't changed since the beginning. Thinking perhaps Here maps aren't available in Canada.
We are way too far advanced, to be going backwards. Haha

So all this discussion about which map is better suited for our drone use, is a moot point to me...  ;-)

Still using the 3D views, and loving it...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

dirtdroner Posted at 2017-1-10 15:47

Many people, like me, don't give a rats about the map, I fly without it all the time.
2017-1-21
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Should we start another poll... Who thinks DJI won't give a rats @$$ about this poll or what the vast majority of what their customers want and keep the Here Maps on the next firmware update?

I expect a new firmware any day now. I also expect the Here maps to stay, and no ability to toggle off the annoying RTH and low battery constant beeping to something less obnoxious like 1 beep per minute.
2017-1-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

These negative threads are usually placed in the invisible section. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-22
Use props
50mmtorres
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39216 ft
United States

I just want something that's works with no problems
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2017-1-8 13:10
I gotta ask....what's a numpty!

Humpty Dumpty's illigitimate son? Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

wow! the poll is really showing what people would like! I wonder if DJI saw this and if there's anything they can do. Although, lately the here maps are ok for me..  not as good as google, but not hugely bad like at the beginning.
2017-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-31 10:59
wow! the poll is really showing what people would like! I wonder if DJI saw this and if there's anything they can do. Although, lately the here maps are ok for me..  not as good as google, but not hugely bad like at the beginning.

Funny, how my maps never changed, since day one! ;-)

Nothing to wish change for...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-31
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
United States

what do u mean maps never changed? there was quite a while where my maps would be but a blur unless really zoomed out.. i believe that is when the go app stopped using google and started using here maps.
2017-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantomski Posted at 2017-1-31 11:47
what do u mean maps never changed? there was quite a while where my maps would be but a blur unless really zoomed out.. i believe that is when the go app stopped using google and started using here maps.

I don't have Here maps. What do you not understand?

My three map choices are the same, they've always been. ;-)

I could post a pic, if you want to see...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-26 23:38

Origin
1980s: of Scottish origin, perhaps an alteration of numbskull, with the ending remodelled on the pattern of Humpty Dumpty.
2017-1-31
Use props
Ozmo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1423061 ft
Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-31 12:15
I don't have Here maps. What do you not understand?

My three map choices are the same, they've always been. ;-)

Are you using the latest Go 4. I think that's the only one that has been updated.

I use the the "Satellite" layer of Go 4 - and that's ok for my area - but the default 'Here Maps' layer is so poor, just huge green polygons with no detail whatsoever.
2017-1-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Ozmo Posted at 2017-1-31 15:13
Are you using the latest Go 4. I think that's the only one that has been updated.

I use the the "Satellite" layer of Go 4 - and that's ok for my area - but the default 'Here Maps' layer is so poor, just huge green polygons with no detail whatsoever.

No, don't have a P4 here, so I'm using the regular Go app...  

But still have the regular maps to use. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-31
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-26 23:38

Say it like ya mean it!  Your too funny.  Have not been here in a while
2017-2-1
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

digdat Posted at 2016-11-20 10:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW9kUwBkKu0&t=2s

Thanks, for the info
2017-2-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BeamMeUpScotty Posted at 2017-2-1 14:29
Say it like ya mean it!  Your too funny.  Have not been here in a while

Yes, a good hearty laugh a day, keeps the undertaker away. Hahahaha

But don't laugh yourself silly, or the white coats with large net show up...  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-1
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

People need to realize that the PRC government banned people in China using Google, youtube, facebook, and many other services.
So unless they can get a VPN which are also being blocked in China then DJI need a system for their Chinese users.

I live in another country, Taiwan, land of the free with fantastic cheap internet and access to services those living in China can only dream about.

Taiwan #1

However DJI should simply allow that for anyone outside of China to use Google maps.  
2017-2-3
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

But seeing the pool or results, removed or just cos I browsing on cellphone?
2017-2-5
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

Google maps! i dg to 2.9.1 on android
2017-2-5
Use props
patratel
lvl.1
Romania

BRING BACK GOOGLE MAPS !!!
2017-2-8
Use props
Markyheff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 476886 ft
United Kingdom

Google maps here thanks
2017-2-9
Use props
Kirk2579
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-5 22:24
Google maps! i dg to 2.9.1 on android

yep
2.9.3 for me last week as well..
2017-2-9
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-10 13:08

I had no clue when I bought mine.  I just wanted to fly the damn thing and get some nice videos and photos
2017-2-17
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

LOL, DJI does not really care about this poll.
2017-2-17
Use props
SunnySkies
New
Flight distance : 76145 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-11-20 10:49
With Google Earth, we can find UFO's too. Haha

Oh by the way, my maps haven't changed. Still have the three views, including a 3D map.It seems, Canada, isn't on board, with Here Maps. Ha

Oh yes we are. I've got a big white rectangle after the 'forced' upgrade. (Ontario)
2017-2-19
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

SunnySkies Posted at 2017-2-19 14:35
Oh yes we are. I've got a big white rectangle after the 'forced' upgrade. (Ontario)

Android device? ;-)

Using an ipad Air2 64gb Cellular here. All maps are clear, current and boldly highlighted.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-19
Use props
emonty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1922224 ft
Italy

Google maps!!!!!
2017-2-26
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
France

Silly poll. Both, HERE and googel dosent work in China where I life. Better would be to open the APP with the option without any Googel (as a sapmle: I can write and type here, but do not see pictures or video by restrictions of googel, so open the APP and let the user choose what he has installed, or is working. Means free implementation of a chart software.
2017-8-1
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not got a clue what map is on mine lol i dont care either, as long as the bird flies and i can see roughly where i am, thats all i care about , i did wonder why my house was a bit crappy looking
perhaps im on HERE, moving on, whats the next gripe? lol
2017-12-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-31 16:16
No, don't have a P4 here, so I'm using the regular Go app...  

But still have the regular maps to use. ;-)

RHP : You must be running old version of GO ..... because I fly the P3P with latest GO and its been HERE maps for many versions before as well. My retired P3S was flying HERE maps for ages as well.Google or Here maps are not as far as I can see location dependent - but based on version of GO you use.

But regarding Google vs HERE ..... to be honest - makes very little difference where I am ... BOTH show my yacht in same place it was over 4 years ago ... in fact HERE is slightly later because other small items are later than the Google map.

The post that moans about finding a downed P and using sat map ... well each to their own ... personally I prefer the last video view and note the GPS coords as both Google and HERE are both out of date anyway ...

I voted : I don't care .......... as an honest vote. Because it makes naff -all difference where I am ...

If I was to be flying in an area that required todays mapping ... then I am most likely flying in a high risk area and should remain even more rigidly LoS ..... my opinion.

Nigel
2017-12-19
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Odan Posted at 2017-1-10 11:39
So....are we delievering pizza with our drones ??? If the map  doesn't sho your house, what's the difference ??? So far my p4  has been on the spot. my house doesn'show up....nobody's house are there. but the main drives are shown.  When I look at the maps on my flight record it shows  a pictoril view with my house in the correct location so I assume that the graffic maps are on the spot.  So.......just what type of detail do you need to locate your drone ? What's wrong with the saying....KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID /  If one program is smaller and can provide the drone the information it needs to be located or return home....what does it really matter ??    C:->

I'm with you ... totally agree.

Nigel
2017-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules