10197 9 2016-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoryM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291106 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,
Had my Mavic just over a week now but this is the first time I have experienced a warning I didn't understand.
The warning was 'Battery: Overcurrent During Discharge'
I've not been able to find anything specific to the Mavic and this warning and wanted to ask what peoples thoughts behind the warning.
I was 3mins into this flight and in sport mode. At the time of the warning I was fully forward on both sticks (Climb and forward motion). No noticeable headwind but it was cold (3c).
I should add that the drone operated fine before, during & after this warning.

Thanks!
R

2016-11-21
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like its warning you that its trying to pull to many amps. The escs/motors will be asking for more amps than the battery can deliver. I suspect that the mavic adjusts itself to prevent failure, but you'd be advised to slow it down a tad if you see this
2016-11-21
Use props
fschilder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102028 ft
  • >>>
Canada

At 3C, I would not be surprised to learn that the batteries can't deliver at the same rate as they would above 10C. Full sticks might be too much at that temperature.
2016-11-21
Use props
AusAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425049 ft
Australia

Batteries in general don't like cold weather. LiPos are no different. You won't be able to draw the same current from a cold battery as you can from a warm one. The difference with the Mavic is that it will tell you when something isn't quite right.

2016-11-21
Use props
ming0mat
New

Switzerland

@RoryM

I just experienced the same error while flying in fog and at 0°C. I was 30m up in the air and couldn't move the mavic in any direction after I received the error message. It started to descent slowly and at 1m above ground the motors shut off and it fell into soft grass. As soon as it hit the ground the motors started back up and it hovered again at 1m. So I flew slowly around until the battery was done. It wasn't until than, that I discovered the rotors were covered with appr. 1mm of ice. Now the error  totaly made sense !

I checked the specs, which say "Operating Temperature 32° to 104° F ( 0° to 40° C )". So probably not a good idea to fly on the "outer" spec limits.
2016-12-6
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

ming0mat Posted at 2016-12-7 05:39
@RoryM

I just experienced the same error while flying in fog and at 0°C. I was 30m up in the air and couldn't move the mavic in any direction after I received the error message. It started to descent slowly and at 1m above ground the motors shut off and it fell into soft grass. As soon as it hit the ground the motors started back up and it hovered again at 1m. So I flew slowly around until the battery was done. It wasn't until than, that I discovered the rotors were covered with appr. 1mm of ice. Now the error  totaly made sense !

You need the all new and improved Mavic wing de-icer available for use at your nearest International Airport before such flights.
2016-12-6
Use props
fans59c77742
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518921 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the same message come up this past weekend, ambient temp was 65F sport mode, full pitch full throttle.
2016-12-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

fans59c77742 Posted at 2016-12-19 10:37
I had the same message come up this past weekend, ambient temp was 65F sport mode, full pitch full throttle.

Same here.

The error pops up consistently whilst in Sport mode and both sticks forward.  Is this a danger since it is a red warning?  It sure is unsettling when it pops up.
2017-1-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

fans59c77742 Posted at 2016-12-19 10:37

Does yours still pop-up?  Have you ever performed an IMU calibration?
2017-1-10
Use props
mikarusso
New

Russia

Same situation, happened 5-6 times in warm temp, in sport mode.
May be it come out because Im charging batteries in my car by ligher socket? (using original FlyMoreCombo parths)...
2019-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules