Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI X5 slow death
2008 10 2016-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

For the last 4 months I have been using the X5 gimbal/camera with the Olympus EZ zoom lens and the Lumix 15mm 1.7. The camera and gimabl worked well (the color temperature issue is another matter, luckily a proffesional colorist has handled all the footage) for a while then....
About three weeks ago I started up the i1 and the gimbal did not move. The lights flashed green then the green light dimmed and gimbal remained limp. I was on a job so I put my hand on the gimbal and straightened it... bingo it kicked in and all was well. That was the beginning of the end. To make it short, as time went on the gimbal took longer and longer to 'kick in' until yesterday I spent over 30 minutes trying to get it to work and it finally died.
Has anyone else had this type of problem with the gimbal?
I don't have my i1 on me at this time so tomorrow I will post all the firmware info.
If anyone has any suggestions, Im all ears (and eyes...)
Thank you!!!
2016-11-21
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I would do a cleaning of all the small contacts between the Camera and the Gimbal , also look for witness marks ( Like small scratches ) between the contacts of the camera and Gimbal mating surfaces, you want to make sure you have good "witness marks " between the surfaces, you can some times tell which contact pins is not mating well by the lack of the witness mark .  Also check the wiring haness from the Gimbal to the aircraft, make sure these are all well seated and not damaged, look for any kinks in the 2 black wiring haness's.    I would buy some good quality electronics cleaner and low lint cleaning swabs.  Just be sure to be gentle  with the contact points , they are fragile.

Hope this helps , the picture is an example of the "witness marks' on the copper camera gimbal mating surface.  Look close, use magnifying glass on yours for best results.
Sometimes you must loosen the 2  small screw ( Phillips )  in below pic to allow a bit of "Play" to get the mounting surface perfect, just loosen ever so slightly and see if it improves.
****This does not sound like a FW issue at all, sounds like a bad connection if you ask me .  Or the gimbal motors are dirty or worn out.   

donnie

gimbal board.png
2016-11-22
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

cleaning the contacts is a good place to start  2 products will make a difference

DeOxIT D100 Power Booster Metal Electric Connection Cleaner, Enhancer

Stabilant 22S 50mL, Best Contact Enhancer Available

I use both of these products and they can be a life saver
Rich
2016-11-22
Use props
eisenheim89
New

Italy

Exact issue but cannot kick it in. Any suggestion?

Did you fix the problem?
2016-11-25
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Argentina

eisenheim89 Posted at 2016-11-25 10:44
Exact issue but cannot kick it in. Any suggestion?

Did you fix the problem?

Hi,
I was told to upgrade everything and check to see if the issue has been fixed but I sent the camera away to have it looked at by the DJI Service center. If you have not yet resolved your issue try UPGRADING everything first and see what happens. And please let me know if that did it!!! What lens are you using?
2017-1-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2017-1-26 12:21
Hi,
I was told to upgrade everything and check to see if the issue has been fixed but I sent the camera away to have it looked at by the DJI Service center. If you have not yet resolved your issue try UPGRADING everything first and see what happens. And please let me know if that did it!!! What lens are you using?

I think the same as Donnie and it's a contact issue. Hopefully some minor cleaning resolves it.
2017-1-26
Use props
SkyHigh UAV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2838921 ft
Australia

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-26 13:24
I think the same as Donnie and it's a contact issue. Hopefully some minor cleaning resolves it.

If minor cleaning cannot fix the problem, then what???? Return to DJI or ?????
2017-2-2
Use props
fans1e71d47b
New

Namibia

Exact same problem here. Gimabal was working perfectly yesterday and today on site it was just dead. Looked like a complete idiot in front of the client. Not very happy at the moment. Cleaned the pins. checked the cables. Dont know what to do??
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkyHigh UAV Posted at 2017-2-2 12:43
If minor cleaning cannot fix the problem, then what???? Return to DJI or ?????

Yes, then it would more than likely need to be repaired.
Here is a link to start the process.
https://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-2-2
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
  • >>>
Argentina

I know its been quite a while since I had this issue resolved. I had to unfortunately send my gimbal in for fix. The good news is that back in march it took only a week to get it fixed through DJI ... I was pleasantly surprised.
Now I have the I2 and things are so far so great.
2017-11-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

FlyingSquirrel Posted at 2017-11-21 10:04
I know its been quite a while since I had this issue resolved. I had to unfortunately send my gimbal in for fix. The good news is that back in march it took only a week to get it fixed through DJI ... I was pleasantly surprised.
Now I have the I2 and things are so far so great.

Glad you got your drone back and got all fixed. We are trying our best to provide a better service. Thanks for your support.
2017-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules