OSMO+ Should I buy or stay away
4034 19 2016-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

I use GoPro alot but its not a good camera for far videos. I was looking into the OSMO+ as the solution to a stabalized camcorder but i have read so many mixed reviews. I hear people say the only get 20 mins of recording time on the battery. That this camera is not really auto focus but more touch to foucs. I also read the the footage isnt so stablized, that when someone walks you see the footage shakey.

So all OSMO+ owners its simple. Is this true so I know not to spend the money on this if it is garbage.
2016-11-21
Use props
ari_za
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77300 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I would wait for the new one at this stage expected to be announced soon
2016-11-21
Use props
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

Do you know around when is the new one coming out?
2016-11-21
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

Have a good look at your local online stores, I have noticed mine have removed the Osmo Plus or show zero stock but plenty of Standards or Mobiles. Given all the issues people here are having I would guess they might have stopped the Osmo Plus production.

For the money look into the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 camera + lens. While this camera has some optical stabilization it does not have a built in gimbal. You will get a better video image out of it than the Osmo plus you can use it quickly, if you find yourself using it enough and what to stabilize it you can put it on a third party camera stabilizer like the units from CameTV. You will also have full control over all the manual settings as well and with 4K you can zoom in a bit and use software stabilization to smooth out footage.   
2016-11-21
Use props
chocha4u
lvl.1

United States

The Panasonic is a dslr and I already have one not want I'm looking for. Looking for a small 4K video camera that why I wanted the osmo because I can't zoom in with my GoPro and all footage looks far like in my sons baseball
Games. GoPro is great for up close experience. It's superior
2016-11-22
Use props
AnyKill
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15968 ft
Brazil

Osmo+ is a good device, some glitches, but I think will be fixed with firmware updates, noting to do with video recording, but with timelapses, some drifts and not so steady when fixed on a spot, but very good image quality and stabilization.
2016-11-22
Use props
Skint
lvl.2
New Zealand

With recording the baseball game you may run into some issues with the Osmo.

The max record time is 30mins and with the lag from the camera to your phone it's very hard to zoom in on any fast motion and keep it in frame.
Weight and battery life may also become an issue filming a long game.
2016-11-22
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

I own the Osmo+.  Right now I feel like I bought a 1959 Cadillac... Just to get the big tail fins and lights!  There is a whole lot more under the hood, but when they look at you holding up that stick with a camera stuck on the end of it, spinning, tilting and turning, man those days won't be around too long so I enjoy them while I can.  Lots of loose gears and stuff, but DJI is tightening up those loose ends as quick as they can.  I hope they can fix all of them, but sorta doubt it.  So is it worth it?  I sorta doubt it, but I had the opportunity to give mine back for a refund and decided with all the spare parts and stuff I bought for it, I'd feel like a bigger loser with a bunch of stuff I can't use for anything else if I took the deal.  So, I have a camera that won't auto focus, but has "real time focus" whatever that is suppose to mean.  If I hit a big bump, everything goes blurry and needs to be restarted.  It has a "lazy eye" and I can never tell where it is going to be looking at next.  It sends and receives just about all it does to and from my Android phone, unless it decides not to for some reason, and that is quite frequently.  It shoots 4K but forget about previewing what you shot on DJI GO as it does not work for previewing 4k.  There is a whole bunch of other things not right with it too, but man did you get a look at those giant tail fins -- WOOHOO?!?!

WOOHOO!?!?!

WOOHOO!?!?!

2016-11-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

20 mins of recording time on the battery.    True. You may want an external pack if you want hours of video shooting.

That this camera is not really auto focus but more touch to foucs.    True. To get consistant result you need to touch to focus.

I also read the the footage isnt so stablized.   False, unless you're putting it on a bicycle. The video is stabilized pretty well if you're holding it and walking.
2016-11-22
Use props
AnyKill
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15968 ft
Brazil

Thor, it will be someday autofocus?
Or only touch?
2016-11-23
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

Well, I just got mine today and I am not impressed at all. The footage is very choppy when you move / walk even very slowly.  It is auto focus, so no idea why other people are complaining. But for me the deal breaker is that you can't use it while moving at all.
2016-11-23
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

I like my Osmo+ despite the confusion over how to focus it. Drifting is not an issue for me since I didn't purchase it to record static scenes. I also didn't purchase it to keep it recording for 30 min. at a time. I'm an editor by trade so I rarely shoot anything more than 30 seconds at a time. A co-worker of mine bought a genuine steadi-cam back in 1986. It cost $65,000 CDN and that was without any camera. I am thrilled that for less than $1k I can shoot stabilized video with a camera that I can hold in one hand. It's all in one's perspective, I guess.

What concerns me most are reports of inconsistent customer service on the part of DJI when issues arise.
2016-11-23
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Wandering Cloud Posted at 2016-11-23 16:14
Well, I just got mine today and I am not impressed at all. The footage is very choppy when you move  ...

That seems weird. Are you judging the video that you are seeing on the phone screen while you are filming?
That will look choppy because of the WiFi lag.
cheers
Dave
2016-11-23
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

LensmanDave Posted at 2016-11-23 17:20
That seems weird. Are you judging the video that you are seeing on the phone screen while you are  ...

From SD card to PC. Even Mavic drone look smoother at much faster speed.
By the way is your widest focal length 22 or 23.1mm?
2016-11-23
Use props
wysiwyg
lvl.1

Malaysia

To the OP @chocha4u :

I think it really depends on what's important to you. It's not garbage but there certainly are missteps. Here are my pet peeves:

- no continuous autofocus (I hope this can be fixed in software)
- there is a gimbal bug that I've encountered many times (I'm sure there will be a fix on the way)
- no lens cap (I mean, seriously??)
- in warm weather, everything can get pretty toasty on both the Osmo+ and phone

But for me the biggest thing is this... It's not a camera for casual shooting, or something to just whip out when something catches your eye, and not for sports/animals/kids... It takes over a minute to bring it out from whatever you're using as a case to protect it (no lens cap and a subjectively "fragile" exposed gimbal means you WILL need a case), turn it on, attach phone, turn phone on, check wifi set to Osmo, launch DJI Go app. It's really best for planned shoots IMHO when you have time to think about what you're going to be shooting, set up, plan focus, etc.

Hope that helps.
2016-11-23
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-23 02:21
20 mins of recording time on the battery.    True. You may want an external pack if you want hours  ...

Since my purchase of the Osmo+ was in large part for use on my bike, I needed it as much for this as for other shooting, maybe more at times.  Fortunately, I have most everything working to my satisfaction except the out-of-focus situation that can happen on big bumps when mounted on the bike.  I have worked all the necessary settings and tweaks to shoot what I would call acceptable footage, including night shots, which will also be frequent I'd expect.  Shot a "worse case scenario" last week on my bike ride home from the shop.  Didn't need to do much, but for expediency sake, I purchased some video noise reduction software to speed up the workflow in After Effects.  Works well and is fast.  As to the OP's question about buying or not, I suppose it really depends on what you need and what your pocket book has to spend on it.  There are so very many cameras that do such really fine work, it would be hard to say this one is the best, middle or even worse.  But for the money, it has some features that are difficult to find and maybe none will do any better (perhaps not as good) for the investment.  I have owned bunches of cameras and for my bike, this is the best I have used.  So, again, it depends on your specific needs and wants when looking at the Osmo+.  Here's a link to the Night Bike Ride video I shot last week.

2016-11-24
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

It all depends on what you're shooting and how much money you have in your pocket I guess. I'm very disappointed about the lack of continuous AF and low light performance and how lacking the manuals/documentation is for features of the camera. I guess it's my own fault that I didn't research enough about the AF for example, but I simply didn't think that anyone would release a camera in 2016 without continuous AF options
2016-11-24
Use props
fans03c76c16
New

United States

I'm hearing multiple comments about autofocus. Some say it has it, but most say it does not. A local videographer instructor says it has a center weighted autofocus instead if a nearest subject autofocus like most cams - maybe that is throwing people.  

Aside from autofocus, it has touch to focus.  How responsive is the touch to focus?  

I'm currently in the researching devices phase - I love the Osmo Mobile but the shoot time on my cellphone is too short, and lacking a removable Battery - when it's dead it's dead.  The Osmo/Osmo+ can just swap a Battery and keep going.
2016-12-7
Use props
fans23ea42c4
lvl.3
United States

I made this video with an osmo+ moving, standing still even in a helicopter it worked great.  
2016-12-8
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

fans03c76c16 Posted at 2016-12-7 11:35
I'm hearing multiple comments about autofocus. Some say it has it, but most say it does not. A local videographer instructor says it has a center weighted autofocus instead if a nearest subject autofocus like most cams - maybe that is throwing people.  

Aside from autofocus, it has touch to focus.  How responsive is the touch to focus?  

I recorded this video under the night time lighting of NYC Times Square with an Osmo+. Having run pro cameras for many years that don't have any auto focus at all, I find the tap to focus not to be a huge burden.

2016-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules