Safe to Fly, again the question ... lol
1812 14 2015-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
max.kingsley
lvl.3

South Africa

Hi Guys

My Inspire is sitting there strong and willing, and I'm too afraid to fly it... :-)

Here is the situation.

I received it updated and everything works well, I just need to actually fly it with props.
I have prop locks, and the IOS App that everybody seem to have since I only have my iPad Air

NOW

Can anybody that has flown with said setup please relate if you've had any problems?
I would love some assurance that if I don't mess with auto this and auto that, that I can relatively safely go fly.

BTW, It seems perfectly ok to fly with NO app, nothing but the controller works fine!  I can calibrate and fly without any tablet connected.

Feedback please?  I want to Go go go!  :-)

Thanks
Max
2015-2-9
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

Hi Max,

You don't have to take big risks to enjoy flying this thing. It all depends on your experience and personal anxiety levels.  I reckon your nervous system has to become used to how the Inspire handles and you can do that easily with the cool features that they put into the Pilot App.   Just fly low and slow and in P mode and have it set to beginner mode.  You can even scale back from the default beginner mode settings so that it won't fly too far away from you.  If you are already used to flying other things then please pardon my advice.   Over time you will get used to how it behaves.

To answer your question about the airworthiness of the Inspire itself, it sounds like you have all the right things in place to get flying.

Dan

2015-2-9
Use props
pauldean85.goog
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I was going to write a long post, but I'd pretty much end up saying exactly what Dan said.

Start low and slow - try to do something new each flight - go a little higher, a little further and try to do something different in the app.

My biggest anxiety with the Inspire is taking my hand off the controls to operate the app! As I'm getting more confident in the Inspire to handle itself in wind it's becoming less of an issue - but I'm always ready to take control if I have to (due to Atti switch, or something).

The Inspire 1 is one hell of a quadcopter, I now feel much more confident flying it than I ever did my Phantom - while as good as it is, it just feels like a toy by comparison!
2015-2-9
Use props
max.kingsley
lvl.3

South Africa

Thanks so much guys
Yes, I was flying a Phantom V2+ for a while, (Quite elegantly, even if I say so myself) (lol)
I'm really happy to fly my Inspire, as long as the App is solid, and I can trust the Imspire to come home
I think tomorrow, it's caution to the wind and get some flying under my belt
2015-2-9
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

max.kingsley Posted at 2015-2-9 22:16
Thanks so much guys
Yes, I was flying a Phantom V2+ for a while, (Quite elegantly, even if I say so  ...

I agree with Paul, above, about everything including the differences . If you were flying the V2 elegantly then you are really going to like flying this one.

2015-2-9
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Inspire is more stable and easier to fly than the Phantom. The fact that it costs more naturally makes people more timid when flying it. And the more timid you are about it, the more sensitive you become to anything unexpected. And lots of unexpected things can happen when you have a remote controlled flying object in the air. If you don't panic and focus on flying, you'll find that it recovers better than the Phantom. In fact, it will do everything better than the Phantom. Better response on the controls, better video, better speed, and it flies better in wind. More of the functionality of the Inspire is built into the app rather than switches on the remote contoller, so I find it is easier and more intuitive to learn and use as well. The 0.9.2 iOS app is perfectly fine. This forum has a tendency toward the negative. The Inspire experience has been absolutely rock solid for me. Take it out of its case, bring it to an open space and start flying. And forget about how much it cost. You bought it to fly, right?
2015-2-9
Use props
Bart1209
lvl.2

United Kingdom

abe.abekleinfel Posted at 2015-2-9 23:47
The Inspire is more stable and easier to fly than the Phantom. The fact that it costs more naturally ...

Nicely put!  saying that I've not flown mine yet as I received it the day before DJI announced that we shouldn't fly until we get prop locks. Still waiting for them!! on the plus side, I have 6 batteries which are slowly discharging themselves!
2015-2-9
Use props
ranchbroker.me
lvl.1

United States

The Inspire is more stable and easier to fly than the Phantom. The fact that it costs more naturally ...

I agree.   I have had zero issue with 9.2.   Flys great and I'm a beginner.   I fly it down creeks, under trees and take aerials.  It's a dream come true for my needs.  I have parked my Supercub airplane in its hangar.
This drone is awesome.  Go fly....
2015-2-9
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

I have exactly the same set up that you described...and I had the same apprehension as you before my first flight.

I follow the checklist before I take flight and make sure the propellers are firmly snugged (my prop locks should arrive tomorrow). I calibrate the compass and check the IMU. I have not had any real issues.

Go and enjoy yourself
2015-2-9
Use props
r-preusser
lvl.2

Germany

I totally agree. Start slowly and cautious to get comfortable with the Inspire. Than you can go further.

I've just written a more comprehensive post - Click right here.

From my point of view ... I wouldn't wait one more day!
2015-2-9
Use props
qsilver1.gmail
New

United States

Hey Max,

I received my Inspire last week and have been flying it from day 1 with the iso app 9.2......... I have had zero issues and I fly it very aggressively and even over the ocean where I live in Florida.

Take Off Dude !!

Mike

took this yesterday with the Inspire

took this yesterday with the Inspire
2015-2-9
Use props
max.kingsley
lvl.3

South Africa

Thanks for all the amazing feedback!

I'll be in the air Tomorrow evening, and will certainly post my feedback!

HERE WE GO!
2015-2-10
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

It's also great to read positive posts.  
2015-2-10
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Abe,

I am in the same boat here.  Have been waiting for the IOS release, have iPad mini and the Inspire sits in the case.  I recently installed the 0.9.2 on to my iPad and had a few simulator flights.  All look good although I have noticed the Inspire on the simulator disappears fast so as and when I take the plunge I will certainly be flying within close proximity for the first few flights.

Reading your post makes me feel that I should just go for it as I am wanting to get some experience of this aircraft before a flight exam that I have been putting off, waiting for the App release.  Just not sure if I should wait and fit a GPS Tracker for added security and peace of mind as I could also use it on my other UAV.
I really, really want to get this thing in the air, just somewhat unsure if I can trust it at the minute.   Might wait a few more days and do some more simulator runs first.

By the way, can anyone confirm if the CAA in the UK will accept simulator flying as continual flying experience and part of a Pilots Flight Log Book ?  Should this time be recorded collectively or separate if accepted?
2015-2-10
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-11 01:32
Abe,

I am in the same boat here.  Have been waiting for the IOS release, have iPad mini and the I ...

GB44 -- go for it. The 0.9.2 app works perfectly well. All this consternation is bad for you. You'll get a small adrenaline rush when it first lifts off, but then you'll quickly settle in and just have fun. Don't get caught up in filming or photography at first. Limit the distractions. But get it in the air. That's what it was made for. That's why you bought it.
2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules