Best practice for calibration (IMU, RC, compass and gimbal)
1709 7 2016-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

**Correction to my original post: I calibrate the compass before each flight, not the IMU. Sorry!

Hey everyone,

First time drone owner here, picked up the Mavic last week at my local Apple Store. So far 21 flights with 2 hours of air time under my belt.

I calibrate the compass before each flight, and have calibrated the gimbal and RC just once. What is the suggested "best practice" for calibration on the compass, IMU, RC and gimbal? I assume calibrate the compass before every flight because it is so simple, fast and easy. Calibrating the RC and gimbal takes a little more time from what I noticed the time that I did it.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge

2016-11-22
Use props
jvanderhoff
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14045 ft
United States

I believe Ken mentioned that he would calibrate the compass before each flight but leave the IMU, RC and gimbal unless the software tells you otherwise. I'm sure he will chim in here though.
2016-11-22
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

This is the first I've heard of anyone calibrating the IMU before each flight. I think it's a bad idea. So, you are saying you have calibrated your IMU 21 times in only 2 hours worth of flight time? Big waste of time and only asking for trouble.  You should really only calibrate the IMU of prompted to do so as it has already been carefully calibrated at the factory. You should also calibrate the IMU if the drone is flying unstable. Otherwise, leave it alone.  Some have suggested IMU should also be calibrated after a firmware update, but I don't think that is necessary unless you are prompted to do so. The compass should be calibrated out of the box and anytime you start a flight miles away from your last compass calibration. Some do it before each flight, but again, I think it's a waste of time if you already did a proper calibration and have not traveled with the drone. Stick calibration should be done at least once out of the box.
2016-11-22
Use props
fansc7fec084
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319055 ft
Vietnam

He said calibrate COMPASS jeezz
2016-11-22
Use props
Wind Junkie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

stealle Posted at 2016-11-22 23:10
This is the first I've heard of anyone calibrating the IMU before each flight. I think it's a bad id ...

I meant I calibrate the compass before each flight, not IMU. My mistake on the language there. Thanks for the feedback
2016-11-22
Use props
chanley380
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75659 ft
United States

When calibrating the IMU, and when it gets to the point where you have to set it vertically/on it's folded "hind legs", should you try to hold it perfectly vertical or let stand by itself, (slighty angled and resting on hind legs/antennae)
resting.JPG
2016-11-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Here's something might help you understand IMU..

IMU "Inertial measurement unit"
This was not written by me , but was an answer to a question I posed.
As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, I wouldn’t like to say; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment. Also after a firmware update is a good opportunity just in case the stored values get corrupted or are incompatible with the later firmware.

I did put this piece together because at least 1 person seemed to have a problem, I think Bad IMU.

Its also good to mention that the IMU is the reason why you are able to shut off the motors using just the throttle down command when on the ground. The IMU reads that the aircraft is unable to move any further, and after three seconds it determines that is has officially landed and can shut off the motors safely.

2016-11-22
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

chanley380 Posted at 2016-11-22 15:43
When calibrating the IMU, and when it gets to the point where you have to set it vertically/on it's  ...

That's a good question.
In the DJI video of how to calibrate the IMU it shows it as your photo, sitting on the legs, but other videos I have seen say hold it as upright as you can.
More things to think about while I wait for mine to come....
2016-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules