Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Major issue with my new Mavic (Help DJI-KEN)
8017 79 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amima42
lvl.2
Flight distance : 851542 ft
  • >>>
Russia

This issue is alarming. DJI keeps telling it's a calibration error, but it is so clearly not. Calibration is perfect, why else it will fail after a few minutes of flying, not immediately? If the calibration was a cause, it would fail at the very beginning, instead of flying normally for a long time and then suddenly (!) start rotating. This is not a pilot error, it is clearly a device error, the question is whether it is hardware or software.

Hope this will be explicitly fixed. I am really worried about loosing my first drone this way. Thinking of cancelling the order, since the wait is so long, maybe more wise to wait for Mavic 2.
2016-11-24
Use props
Shadowspawne
lvl.1

United States

Hey wait, hold the presses! Is there already a Mavic Pro 2 already in the works?
2016-11-24
Use props
RootCtrl
lvl.2

United States

@caddjocky. I know there is a different calibration for the compass. Me being new to DJI ( not drones or RC) can only find Official DJI videos for the calibration of the IMU. Now to a newbie I can see how there can be confusion what info to follow.
2016-11-24
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

Shadowspawne Posted at 2016-11-25 04:43
Hey wait, hold the presses! Is there already a Mavic Pro 2 already in the works?

Of course there is. They start working on the next iteration of a product before the current generation is even released. Just look at the Phantom 4 Pro, it came out less than a year after the Phantom 4. I'm sure they're working on the Mavic Pro 2 and I would assume a release in 2017 or early 2018
2016-11-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

eddievedder101 Posted at 2016-11-25 02:22
Ken - are u receiving my emails??

I just received them and replied to you but again it's not letting me.
Go ahead and reply to the email from Myra and request the shipping label.
Also I emailed the RC download tool and not sure if you'll receive it.
Let me know.
2016-11-24
Use props
docbrain
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13930 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-11-25 11:53
I just received them and replied to you but again it's not letting me.
Go ahead and reply to the e ...

Hi Ken, I sent out my email to you on this board a few days ago. Never got a link to the RC download tool. Can you help?
2016-11-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

docbrain Posted at 2016-11-26 12:51
Hi Ken, I sent out my email to you on this board a few days ago. Never got a link to the RC downlo ...

Sorry about that, can you resend the email and I'll send you the file.
2016-11-26
Use props
6eROzTah5esD
lvl.1

Canada

eddievedder101 Posted at 2016-11-24 05:59
Please dont ever feel new to express your opinion or suggestion on the forum...that is the whole p ...

Curious if you completed a R/C calibration and/or had any success in repairing your issue??
2016-11-26
Use props
eddievedder101
lvl.1

United States

6eROzTah5esD Posted at 2016-11-26 20:24
Curious if you completed a R/C calibration and/or had any success in repairing your issue??

Yes, I completed the RC calibration and relinked it to the unit.  Didnt help.

I now have to send the unit in for repairs to the north american DJI facility in California...  I pleaded with the DJI support woman- asking her to send me a new unit after I show proof that this one was shipped back to them.  I pointed out that I waited for 2 months only to receive a unit that was clearly and fatally defective.  Never received a response except an email with a shipping label and instructions on how to send the unit in for 'repairs'.  I dont like the idea that this clearly defective unit will be sent to a repair facility then sent back to me.  It would take a lot for me to be comfortable putting this bird back into the air.

I purchased a new mavic and waited a quite a bit of time to get it.  I understand that these type of issues can occur in a new product...However, I really do not want this unit back to 'try out' again.  The error renders it impossible to have a safe flight and not jeopardize those around me.  I take this hobby very serious and do not want to hurt the perceptions of the public on the drone community.  Unless I get a new unit or a very good assurance that the problem is resolved - I will not take the chance and fly it.  Id rather lose the 1k than risk it.  I should point out that DJI-Ken has been great and was the clear exception as far as knowledge goes in the various DJI 'support' staff I emailed or talked with.

Very disappointed.  I was ready to order the new inspire 2 as soon as it came out - but then I received my mavic and now DJI does not seem to want to send me a new unit.  Cant justify doubling down with a $5k drone from DJI.
2016-11-28
Use props
Eikro
lvl.2

Russia

From the original post, I quote:
"...she [tech. support representative] stated that you have to do an IMU, gimbal, and compass calibration after each firmware update..."

I'm about to receive the Mavic and the first thing I've planned is to upgrade the firmware. However, I'm puzzled now since the documentation nor video tutorials suggest to perform calibration of IMU and gimbal after the firmware update.

Can someone enlighten me whether or not to perform all the calibrations procedures?
Does it make sense to perform all the calibrations (including the remote) before the first ever flight?
2016-11-28
Use props
eddievedder101
lvl.1

United States

Eikro Posted at 2016-11-28 10:21
"...she [tech. support representative] stated that you have to do a ...

I know the support rep told me this...but I would stick with advice from DJI-Ken - which I believe was to update all firmware, do a compass calibration (before first flight and when change flight locations) and do NOT do an IMU, remote or gimbal calibration unless the DJIgo app tells you to.

Make sure there is no metal (including the remote controller/phone) in the area when you do the compass calibration.
2016-11-28
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Shadowspawne Posted at 2016-11-24 12:43

It's called the DJI Calibrate. After reviewing this thread I sense a disturbance in the (calibration) force...it must be thermal winds lol
2016-11-28
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

eddievedder101 Posted at 2016-11-29 02:26
I know the support rep told me this...but I would stick with advice from DJI-Ken - which I believe ...

This is what I do. Stuff the manual. I have flown DJI products for 4 yrs without incident. The only crash was a tip-over on landing on an uneven surface.

Brand new and after firmware:
Indoors - IMU and Gimbal calibration (Don't fly Mavic for 1 hr. Do it immediately and don't let it warm up). Should take 2 minutes. Why?? faster warmup times and mishandled when delivered.

Outdoors - Compass calibration ONLY in a GRASSY OPEN FIELD. Open up the legs and raise it above your head and turn your whole body. Drop the nose down and repeat. The higher off the ground you are, better. After that, I only do it if I travel east west +70km. You should never recalibrate compass at every flight location. You could be snap-shotting a bad compass. If the device warns about interference, move it or take off from a cardboard box.

You need to snapshot/simulate what the mavic/quad sees when its high up in the sky, free of interference. Closest simulation would be an open grassy field.
2016-11-28
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2016-11-29 01:24
This is what I do. Stuff the manual. I have flown DJI products for 4 yrs without incident. The onl ...

+1 on the calibrations, not forgetting the RC sticks (aircraft off) and the sensors (via DJI Assistant 2).

The spiral effect is a dead give away of good compass calibration needed. You'll see many posts in the P3 & P4 section all very similar.
2016-11-29
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

It's possible that switching to Sports mode is the cause for the TBE issue.  See the post over at mavicpilots.com at: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/s ... 8/page-2#post-30253

I'd suggest that people should not use Sports mode for now...
2016-11-29
Use props
remyaxis
lvl.2

Australia

I had the circular drift during my maiden flight and managed to land the mavic away from any obstacles I took off the camera cover and problem solved. I had another similar incident at the beach and as soon as I upgrade the firmware the problem resolved. I hope these are isolated issues rather than widespread problems with mavic. Yesterday I noticed camera lagging once while using a follow me recording, hopefully it won't happen again. Remy
2016-11-30
Use props
remyaxis
lvl.2

Australia

Dji-Ken, is it true that we should not calibrate compass at each new location unless prompted to do so?
2016-11-30
Use props
OhYeah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179012 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi,

I have had the same issue.
After one flight OK, the second on went very bad: the Mavic took off, and the drifted, I was'nt able to do something and it crashed breaking the propellers.
No it doesn't want to take off, "GPS exception"
What can I do?
Do you sent free propellers?
2017-1-6
Use props
fansb36dcd6f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 432484 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just got my Mavic Pro and experienced the "drift problem" after the Satellite loss alarm and going to ATTI mode. I was able to recover because the drone was at a safe altitude.  This makes me nervous. I would like a root cause of this issue. Can DJI please post one here.  
2017-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fansb36dcd6f Posted at 2017-1-9 11:46
Just got my Mavic Pro and experienced the "drift problem" after the Satellite loss alarm and going to ATTI mode. I was able to recover because the drone was at a safe altitude.  This makes me nervous. I would like a root cause of this issue. Can DJI please post one here.

If you loose gps of course your aircraft goes into Atti mode and in Atti mode your aircraft will drift that is normal, there are many reasons your aircraft will loose sat connection, but the fact is when this happened your aircraft behaved properly and you were able to gain control in Atti mode.

If you think your aircraft is having problems receiving satellites then sync your flight and ask dji to have a look at the logs.
Good luck
2017-1-9
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

In for updates.
2017-1-9
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Watching with interest as am interested in a Mavic (would be my first ever drone)
2017-1-9
Use props
Big Daddy Davee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3963 ft
United Kingdom

Let's see where this goes..................
2017-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

remyaxis Posted at 2016-11-30 04:28
Dji-Ken, is it true that we should not calibrate compass at each new location unless prompted to do so?

You don't need to calibrate your compass unless prompted, if you keep calibrating your compass you stand a greater chance of getting a bad calibration.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fansb36dcd6f Posted at 2017-1-9 11:46

Are you on the latest firmware version?
The drift is not a problem, outside of VPS range if the aircraft goes into ATTI mode, it will drift and this is normal. In the recent firmware the compass switching was optimized to minimize this.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Razer_73 Posted at 2017-1-9 14:41
Watching with interest as am interested in a Mavic (would be my first ever drone)

Honestly, I do not recommended a $1,000 drone as your first drone.
It way to easy to make a costly mistake. I would buy something like a $75 Syma to practice and get proficient with.
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-9 15:01
You don't need to calibrate your compass unless prompted, if you keep calibrating your compass you stand a greater chance of getting a bad calibration.

Correct, you do not need to do anything unless the app asks you to or you have unusual flight behavior.
Once the compass has a good calibration there is no need to calibrate again unless you travel hundreds of miles away or adding/removing anything metal (GPS tracker).
2017-1-9
Use props
softgrapes
lvl.2

United States

Seems like more and more people are having the same issue. Green bars, plenty of sats, then red bars with same amount of sats causes it go into some sort of slow response ATTI mode.

I get that DJI has to ask the basic "have you done this" questions but to me it's apparent the issue is something bigger and more widespread than just a few users not calibrating properly. OP clearly seems to know what he is doing,

Also it seems to be happening after the latest FW release so I think asking people to update is just going to cause more of these issues.

Just my 0.02 cents.
2017-1-10
Use props
Razer_73
lvl.1

United States

Have you had any updates on this?

Ken - ive purchased a Syma as you suggested. Seemed a sensible idea. Thanks for the advice.
2017-1-16
Use props
fansfa72e3a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4281 ft
United States

Hi. Just got my brand new drone yesterday. Same issue happened during first flight. It would switch to ATTI mode having 15+ satellites. Does anyone have an update on this?
2017-1-17
Use props
fansfa72e3a4
lvl.1
United States

Contacted customer support. They told me to do a factory reset and calibrate IMU. While doing Factory reset just noticed that my Mavic came with v01.03.0300 version software. Yep. The latest version is v01.03.0200. So I got an unreleased version of firmware out of the box. I wonder if it has something to do with me GPS Signal loss issue. Sent Customer support an email. Waiting for their response.
2017-1-17
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

This thread is so interesting - I am a bit confused about all the issues Mavic has. Hopefully it will be solved soon.
2017-1-17
Use props
DannyForNina
lvl.1
United States

So far my DJI Support experience is the worst. 2 of my emails are just being ignored. Chat support repeats mantra "factory reset and calibrate compass". When I tried to call on the phone, it dropped when I was number 2 in queue twice. On the third time I finally got to speak to someone and they promised to email me a link to open a repair ticket. I never got that email. And only when I contacted DJI Support on Twitter I got an answer to my question. I finally got a repair case opened, but I still haven't received a UPS label to ship my Mavic back, and it's been several hours.

It just feels like DJI is ignoring me. (((
2017-1-19
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

So we only calibrate when advised by the app and only calibrate the compass if we move miles away from where we first did it?

If I compass calibrate on the Saturday and go out on the Sunday acquire of Niles away you're saying I needn't compass calibrate unless the app tells me to?
2017-1-19
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

I don't understand why this automatic gps/atti switching...good for? it is a real problem I see...prone to more bad/errors...just put an manual switching on one customization button and the problem is gone...it is simple like that...and better old and proof good mode of operation...this automatic switching is very bad for interiors alike for exteriors....
2017-1-19
Use props
Talco
lvl.1

United States

Hi All, I am new to this forum and to the Mavic Pro. I have flown my mavic about 20 times all were great flights. Today after I upgraded to the latest firmware v01.03.0400 I had my first issue with losing GPS while 16 or more satellites were in range. There was roughly 10mph wind and my mavic drifted away and I had a hard time controlling it. Luckily I got it back and landed safely.

Any idea why this is happening? Should I go back to the old firmware?

Thanks
2017-2-18
Use props
fans0c3facab
New
Flight distance : 18691 ft
Switzerland

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-9 15:13
Correct, you do not need to do anything unless the app asks you to or you have unusual flight behavior.
Once the compass has a good calibration there is no need to calibrate again unless you travel hundreds of miles away or adding/removing anything metal (GPS tracker).

Hello Fellows

I bought my Mavic (v01.03.0550) about a week ago (6th of April '17) and I was very suprised to read here about such kind of issue for a drone who costs about 1'500.

The first day I flown was very impressive at all and I emptied two batteries without any issues. I had some other days with a lot of fun again and no issues.

But on last Thursday (13th of April 2017) the ugliness starts its run... I was about 60 meters above in the air (about 200 feet)  and suddenly the Mavic lost the GPS connection for some reasion. The drone was about 150 meters far from me and with great luck I could land safely (without visual contact). This happened after the first empty battery. So, with the second one.
With the flown GPS data on the App screen I was able to find the drone where it sent the last signal from its standpoint (thank good GPS exists ;-)).
I retried again but the GPS did not reconnect. The app states "cannot take off" P-GPS disabled. The drone was not able to get GPS signal back agin.

I went home had immediately a chat with Dji support the same day (13th of April) and the guy told me to calibrate the compass and additionally upgrade firmware. I did all that upgrade/downgrade with Assistant 2 software and with both versions (v01.03.0550 and the leatest one) I still had the same issue.
I went out the comming day again. The GPS was there for about 10 minutes and again it suddenly lost the GPS signal and the drone was very hard to control to get it back home.

So, the status is, GPS does not work anymore for some reason. For me it would actually very interesting what the root cause of this error is and why this could happen immediately.

I went back to my local dealer today and explained them the situation. They will send it "delivery express" to maybe the distributor or maybe Dji for product exchange. If I do not get an exchange (new one) I will definately fighting for get my money back. I'm very frustrated about what happened and when I came across this thread I feel more than disapointed.

I'm working in IT business for a company who is building/selling hard-/software. I know that software will never ever be 100% bug-free but this looks to me as a serious issue. I hope I will get positive reaction (good service) based on the price for such kind of product I paid for.

cheerio ndee
2017-4-15
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Eikro Posted at 2016-11-28 07:21
"...she [tech. support representative] stated that you have to do an IMU, gimbal, and compass calibration after each firmware update..."

I never calibrate the IMU after firmware updates, I carry out the update, then carry out a function check on the ground, power up, Manually lift off to about 3 feet, hover, confirm that the hover is stable, perform a 360 degree rotation in both directions allow it to hover, then check right stick commands.

double check the RTH altitudes confirm that the OA is enabled and then go vertical about 30M then carry out a flight test maintaining eye contact.

Never let me down yet. Compass calibration is the only 'routine' calibration I do. Never had any issues.
2017-4-15
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

softgrapes Posted at 2017-1-10 08:29
Seems like more and more people are having the same issue. Green bars, plenty of sats, then red bars with same amount of sats causes it go into some sort of slow response ATTI mode.

I get that DJI has to ask the basic "have you done this" questions but to me it's apparent the issue is something bigger and more widespread than just a few users not calibrating properly. OP clearly seems to know what he is doing,

Strong GPS signal and switch to ATTI is, in my experience, a compass issue.

I had a loss of GPS a while ago, 16 sats, but indicator was red, fought the wind and landed it, calibrated compass, no further problems.
2017-4-15
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

fans0c3facab Posted at 2017-4-15 11:46
Hello Fellows

I bought my Mavic (v01.03.0550) about a week ago (6th of April '17) and I was very suprised to read here about such kind of issue for a drone who costs about 1'500.

Hi,

On a side note, the GPS service is never guaranteed, here in the UK there are often GPS jamming trials, usually NOTAM's detail the when and where.

The compass problem seems to manifest its self by turning the GPS indicator red, which is rather confusing, the Mavic seems to stop using the GPS if it is conflict with the compass, possibly working on the assumption that the GPS system can go off but the earths magnetic field cannot, can be rather alarming though.

I would go and do a calibration, assuming you haven't and take it from there, its not inconceivable that the compass could be defective.
2017-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules