Mavic Performs!
1383 8 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

While I've been less than enthusiastic with DJI's customer service, I reluctantley admit the Mavic has been nothing less than impressive.

Since the Mavic arrived on my doorstep its only been idle when the battery is charging or my head hits the pillow (exagguration, but flying a lot).  This drone has logged air miles over the ocean, in the mountains, at the lake, filmed a parade, hot air balloon event, moto cross race, real estate/ranch brochure footage, inspected a radio tower for an engineer,  took an aerial photo of corn maze for the boy scouts . . . today we'll be filming a vineyard's turning leaf color for the owner.

This Mavic has been run through the ringer, cold, hot, dark, light, close, far, high, low, windy, foggy . . . so far I haven't found anything or any reason not to say this is one of the best drones on the market.  We still have the Inspire 1 Pro and haven't pulled it out of the case since the Mavic arrived.  Sure the Inspire has amazing Z5 camera, but the 4k Mavic has been more than what's been needed in most of these shoots.

I hand fly, so I can't speak to the effectiveness of all the autopilot sequences, don't use/need them.  However this drone is a DREAM to fly, response to control input, maneuverability, nimbleness, stability, endurance, portability, readiness, dispatch reliability, noise level, wind resistance, flight range and photo quality are EPIC for a 1k drone.

4k at 60fps would be nice addition, however for a 1k drone it's hard not to be amazed by the capabilities built into this portable package.

A couple of unique notes; We have a large 13,000 sqft hanger at the airport we use to do some filming.  The Mavic boots up to ATTI as the hanger blocks the GPS and takes off with visual sensors and IMU calibration.  When we fly near the windows the Mavic will get a GPS lock, fire off an alarm after recognizing it's flying within a no-fly zone, then sequence and trigger it's auto landing sequence.  I'm able to overide the controlls, however it's alarm constantly sounds and will prepare to land anytime there's neutral input on controls.  I can't fault the Mavic, we're less than 200 feet from an active runway and certainly in a dangerous area if we weren't indoors.  I do however wish we could silence the alarm, it's doing it's job, but a little too well.  Again . . . this is a very unique situation and not something most would take issue.

Second . . . as many of you know this drone sits close to the ground so dust/debris are potential issues with camera for take off/landing.  We consistantly use the hood of the truck as the heliport.  Calibration needs to be done away from the metal, then we place it on hood for departure.  No issue's with care and maintenance of camera.

Lastley . . . Unlike heavier drones like Inspire the downwash from blade thrust is substantialy reduced.  This allows us to get shots lower, without dirt, leaves and debris being thrown into the shot.  Just another benefit of having a lighter platform.

In conclusion the Mavic in a short time has become a fantastic work tool, profound toy and is our drone of choice for a Gods Eye view of the Blue Marble.

2016-11-23
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

Great to hear!  Just getting to know mine cautiously due to some of the fussing.  No issues yet.
2016-11-23
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Good to read some positive feed back. Thank you!
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting your positive experience, most do not and only post when they experience something negative.
I'm glad you took the time to start this thread.
Thanks
2016-11-23
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

I completely agree, its awesome!
2016-11-23
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

Nice review!!!! It my first (Smart) DJI Drone and I concure. I think the 6 months of 250 Race drones really helped tremendously. Crashing and such
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-11-24 05:04
Nice review!!!! It my first (Smart) DJI Drone and I concure. I think the 6 months of 250 Race drones ...

I agree 100%, experience pays off and helps you get out of easy situations  that may otherwise have caused a crash. Simple things like new pilots flying  LOS nose in and get confused and head in the wrong direction towards an object and they give the incorrect stick input and crash the aircraft into the object at high speed.
2016-11-23
Use props
Mooney
lvl.3

United States

Just completed the 100th flight with the Mavic filming the Channel Islands of the Coast of California this weekend.

Lately this little drone has logged many hours over the ocean tracking boats in high winds, above the Sierras in Mountain Wave conditions and in the high RF environment of Mt. Wilson for tower inspections.  

It's alerted me many times; low temp, high winds, airspace, battery low etc . . . however it always performs beyond expectations, comes home and delivers epic video and photo files. I purchased three sets of props for backup, however the originals are still performing perfectly and looking new.

Very happy with this little bird, just wish I had access to a backup.
2016-12-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Very positive, thanks for that, just had mine up twice weather really bad in Ireland for flying, everything works as it supposed to, it is truly a great craft.
2016-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules